Military requirment for brass

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MGH, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MGH

MGH New Member

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Well, I've thought this was going to be the way it was going to be for a few years now. Regulating Ammunition. It's a real BUMMER. However, what really ticks me off about this is the potential cost to the tax payers. The article states that shredding the spent brass will reduce it's worth by some 80% from the value of the reloadable casings. This will only dramaticly increase the cost of ammunition to law enforcement agencies as well as the military. They'll be buying new brass for their ammunition as well as civilian sportsmen. And guess who pays? - US- The taxpayers. This adminstration just doesn't seem to have any fiscal common sense. Oh! I forgot. They're going to raise our taxes anyway. I also hear that they are going to tax all ammunition pretty soon as well. I guess that should help cover some of the extra government expense that this action will incur. (sarcastic!) Does anyone out there know how much it would cost to set up a new business spinning up new brass casings? Cause' it sounds like it could get real lucrative real quick! (also somewhat sarcastic!)

China is going to buy it all as scrap? I wonder how much of this scrap brass China will re-spin into new brass that will potentially end up as ammunition in the hands of our enimies? Current or future.

O.K. getting close to having a rant here. Time for a BP pill. LOL

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Didn't the U.S. sell scrap metal to Japan prior to WW II? The man was right, history has a way of repeating itself. Technically, that brass belongs to the tax payers. I smell a rat.

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Here is another tax hike - they're raising the tax on tobacco from $1.10 a pound to $25.00 a pound as of 1 April. I read this in Shotgun News | Home Page forum. Also, packs of smokes have been raised .50 and 1 April add another .60 cents.

I do not smoke!

What worries me now is alcohol (beer and hard stuff), when are they going to jack the price and tax the crap of it. Then, we have the juice - (Diesel and Gas). Next the funding for the greener world - tax natural gas and electricity. Another thing, how are we going to pay for the spending by big brother - tax hike from 28 percent to sky is the limit! :mad:

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Well, the tobacco and alcohol tax was going to happen regardless of the current adminstration. But the impending increase of energy costs due to this currrent adminstrations policies are ludicris. It seems the current crew in power will sacrifice everything, and shove it down our throats weather we like it or not, to carry out their great idealistic and esoteric social re-engineering of our society.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Oil too, but the U.S. cut them off because they were tearing the shat out of China. Of course, all they really wanted was China's resources to expand their empire and they were having too much fun kicking the shat out of the Chinise. (Long time hatered for each other). Isolationist America thought it was horrid what Japan was doing to China, and it was, and the American public outcry was great through the later 1930's. Plus Japans early on fledling alliances with the other problems going on in Europe at that time and their obvious desire to expand their power and control in the Pacific. Cutting Japan off really put a monkey wrench in the works for them and really pissed them off. I feel it is what really motivated them to attack Pearl Harbor believing that the U.S. would be slow to respond or not respond at all. Worst case scenero for them at the time is that they thought it would buy them enough time to conquor their surrounding island nations, get their resources and dig in before we attacked in retaliation. Admiral Yamamoto was claimed to have said just after their attack on Pearl Harbor that "I fear that we've only awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve" Well he was right.

7. MGH

MGH New Member

There are quite a few things that piss me off about this. :mad:

1) Those companies that baught once-fired brass from the military can't get the supply they need.
    2) Now only companies like Winchester, Remington, Etc... will mass produce ammo. Who might I add are already making as many rounds possible to supply the military.

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I went to the link on MGH's post this morning and cut and pasted a copy of Gordon Hutchinson's letter and sent it to Congressman Paul Ryan 1st District Wisconsin. I urge every one to do the same. This is some serious do do. Its time to rally the troops boys and girls.

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

All of this happened a little over 200 years ago. Hopefully history repeats itself and we're able to free ourselves from tyranny.

10. rubble

rubble New Member

The Governemnt is pricing us out of ammo.

The DoD has been ordered to turn once used ammo into scrap instead of selling it to ammunition manufactures.
    This is an assault on ALL ammuntion and will greatly increase the price of all ammo- even if your just a skeet/trap shooter.
    Please see this message on the Georgia Arms website.

NOW IS THE time you make your senators and representatives aware of your position.
    Please don't sit on this one.
    Here is a copy of the letter I've sent to my elected officials:

I was recently made aware that the Department of Defense has been ordered to destroy all once used brass, (ammunition cartridges) and sell the brass as scrap. Prior to this order the U.S. Government sold this as surplus ammunition cartridges to ammunition manufactures at a profit and now is receiving 80% less in revenue due to this order. The need for tax revenue in our current economic situation makes this order completely senseless. My tax dollars were used to pay for this brass to begin with and I consider this an outrage. This will even raise the cost of ammunition that our military will have to buy. If that’s not insulting enough I have also found out that China is the largest importer of our scrap brass.

It’s obvious that this is nothing less than an assault on the 2nd Amendment by pricing the individual out of shooting and this assault on the 2nd Amendment is being done in a circuitous fashion of going around our elected officials to effectively remove our constitutional rights.

As my elected official I expect that this will be vigorously addressed and I will be watching your actions on this matter closely.

Please call your Representative and Senator and send a letter by snail mail- it does make a difference.

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

What's up Rubble. Check the tread "Military requirement for brass" in the Legal and Politics section. You may find further interesting reading on this issue there.

In my opinion this is one of the most important issues facing firearm owners at this present time. We need to act now and act decisively. We need to contact our friends, firearm enthusiast or not, and asked them to support an effort to stop our government from back dooring our 2nd. Amendment rights. Without reasonably priced ammo who can afford to shoot? Thanks my brother for taking an interest and let's make our voices heard.

12. MGH

MGH New Member

Thanks for that letter rubble. The other thread about this is "time to be loud." in the Legal and Politics section. I posted this thread orginaly in legal and Politics. some how it got here. dont ask me how.:confused:

We all need to write our elected officials! I'm even planing on sending a couple to the white house:p
    I'm not sure if it will do any good there but they can't ignore us forever.:D

13. WDB

WDB New Member

I think it would be best that the military reload that once fired and use it again. I expect all of the once fired is training ammo and not picked up in the war zone so what better way to save some $ that recycle that brass for training? At least they got a few pennies on the pound by selling the brass to major reloaders and maybe that price per pound should be increased but shreading it makes no sense!

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Re: Tax on booze-

"My daddy he made whiskey
    My granddaddy did too
    We ain’t paid no whiskey tax
    Since Seventeen Ninety Two" Google Whiskey Rebellion......

15. topturf2003

topturf2003 New Member

I finally found a company that has .223 brass. The problem for some people is that the brass is military (has the crimp). If you do not have the correct machine to take out the crimp, it will damage it, but Southern Belle Brass is selling the .223 Military brass for $45.00 per thousand piece bag.

16. Major Kusanagi

Major Kusanagi New Member

Actually, the military rescinded that order a day or so after it was announced. Therefore, I wouldn't worry too much about this issue anymore as both the military and the American people won out on this one. However, I wouldn't let your guard down yet. We still have anywhere from two to four more years of this crap to fight.

Last edited: May 7, 2009