Military Orders to LA, California

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Marthor, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Aaaaah! :eek:

I have a new assignment to Los Angeles, California next summer. My firearms are weeping. My VA CCW permit will no longer be good for anything. My new Springfield XDm 45 13 capacity handgun is illegal, because they have a 10 capacity ban. I'll have to store it half-way across the country. There's a ban on weapons with flash-supressors too, so I may not have my Bushmaster or my tactical Mini-14 either!

I won't be a "resident", so at least i won't have to "register" anything. They have a clause for military exception on that.

Still trying to find out more info, but it already looks horrible.

2. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Aaaah! My Berettas are out too because of the magazine limit! Aaaah!

3. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Seams like you can get ten round mags for a 92. I guess I am assuming your beretta is a 92.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Is it possible to be reassigned to another place? I would try to find some lower capacity mags if you can.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the flash hider on the mini unscrew? Replace it with a muzzle brake or thread protector if it does. You will be about 300 miles from AZ and might be able to find a place to store them there. Lower capacity mags are available for your pistols and your mini.

6. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Where are you going to be stationed at, in LA, and will this be a TDY assignment?

7. Marthor

Marthor New Member

No problem for storage. I have a relative who will store any or all for free. I'm not TDY, it's a PCS (permanent change of station) that will likely be for 3 years long tour.

If they make a lower capacity for the Beretta 92FS, I'll have to do that I guess. If I take off the flash-supressor off the mini-14, then that one will be OK too. I do have a 5 round mag that fits flush with the stock.

If I disassemble my M-4, I wonder if I can store it as disassembled? Anyone know that? I don't have any 10 round magazines though. They are all 30.

I don't think they even make 10 capacity magazines for the XDm 45 full size, so all my magazines will be banned! :eek:

Does anyone know if I can buy weapons in CA with PCS orders? I won't be getting a CA driver licence while there. In VA, you can buy on your PCS orders even if you don't have a VA licence.

Now, I'm highly interested in seeing that National Right to Carry law passed by congress. That would make my VA CCW permit good in CA. Hopefully, that will be signed into law within my first year there. :D

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your remote assignment ;) You will eventually find your way back to the US. I would make some calls to gun shops around the military bases in CA and see if what your various options are. You may luck out and find that there are a number of options which will allow you to bring the bulk of your collection into compliance w/ the laws of your host country :rolleyes:

9. Marthor

Marthor New Member

No. They have people whine about where they're getting sent all the time. Once you have an assignment selection, it's go or get out. If you choose to get out, you finish serving whatever time commitment you have left and then you are forced out.

I'll be going without whining to them. I'll do all my whining here instead. :p

10. JTJ

Springfield does make 10 rnd mags for the XDM 45. Who did you get mad at you to draw a tour to the PRK?

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Er? What's the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash-suppressor?

Here's a muzzle brake on Amazon, but it looks very similar to the flash-supressor that's already on my Mini-14.
    Amazon.com: Mini 14 Muzzle Brake/Black: Sports & Outdoors

I did read that flash-supressors are identified specifically in the "assault weapons" ban, but that muzzle brakes are OK since they aren't mentioned. Can I just call my FS a brake? What's the difference?

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Things are looking a little brighter. I'm finding some information saying that "possession" of high capacity magazines is not illegal. If anybody has some other info on this, I'd appreciate it. The law does say that "import" of magazines is illegal for CA residents, but it has the military "non-resident" clause exception.

A best case scenario now is that I can keep all my mags, just take off the flash-hider on my Mini-14 and completely disassemble for storage my M-4. That way I'd have all my stuff, but still be legal.

I still need the information on being able to keep a disassembled M-4. Can I keep a pistol grip lower receiver with telescoping stock and the flash-suppressor seperate in a disassembled condition?

If all that works out to the best case and then imagine if the National Right to Carry also passes! Most of the CA goo will have been wiped out for me. =)

13. JTJ

Shoot the weapon at night and you will find out. A flash hider reduces the amount of flash the shooter sees. A muzzle brake reduces recoil by redirecting some of the gas usually up or to the sides. You dont want one that directs gas down if you are shooting prone. I got rid of a carry revolver with a muzzle brake/vented barrel after firing it in dim light. No way I could get off an aimed quick second shot. Some sellers are calling flash hiders muzzle brakes when they are not. There are some combination units which is somewhat of a contradiction.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  14. KABAR2

KABAR2 New Member

Sorry to hear of your move to Commiforina.... we need good men like you in Virgina!

These people should be able to give the the straight scoop on the crappy laws in their state, they have beeb having to live with them so they should know.....

Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

Hey Can't you leave your firearms in the base armory? I don't think the State has any jurisdiction there.....

15. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Since you wont officialy be a resident, I do believe your mags will be fine after all they are in a way "the militaries" or if you want to get really technical you could disasseemble each one of them befor you cross the border then reassemble them once you get to your new temperary place of residence. The pistols, make sure they are on the ca legal list and no mags over 10. As to the rifles themselves I am 90% sure the muzzle break/flash suppresors are not an issue as long as they dont "silence" the weapon. And if they have any combination of at least 2 of the requirements of being "assault weapons" then it will be required that you put bullet buttons on the magazine catchs. Or you can not do any of the alterations and hope you dont get inspected for some reason, but why risk it, I know its stupid but once you get used to using them they arent... that bad..ish and yes the dissasemblement is legaly adequate way to d ew al with the m4

16. Marthor

Marthor New Member

These are privately owned and wouldn't be considered "the militaries".

I'm still reading and researching. Although possession of the high capacity mags is not illegal, bringing them into the state would be. So, now I'm stuck again. Can't legally cross the border. Uhg. Apparently, I can disassemble the mags and keep them disassembled though. LOL

My Ruger 10/45 22LR is now a problem though because it has a threaded barrel is considered an "assault weapon" too according to the definition. :eek:

I'm getting pretty tired of looking though. I'm not going to fill out any papers or pay any fees. Frankly, I don't want to spend time disassembling all my mags or whatever either. I also don't want to buy a bunch of 10 round mags either. I think I'll just leave half of my stuff in storage at my relative's including:
    1) M-4 "assault weapon with 30 round mags"... double banned
    2) XDm 45 "13 round mags" ...banned
    3) Ruger 22/45 w/threaded barrel "assault weapon" ...banned
    4) Beretta 92FS "14 round mags" ...banned
    5) Another Beretta 92FS "14 round mags" ...banned
    6) Mini-14 tactical w/flash-hider "assult weapon with 20 round mags" ...double banned

A hodge-pod of items get nailed including the 22LR target pistol. LOL Totally, useless hassle!

Combined with my military PCS orders, the rest of my stuff is not required to be registered, pay any fees, not classified as an assault weapon and all have 10 or less capacity magazines and are legal for sure.

I've been reading everything on that CALGUNS.net website. thanks!

Honestly, I'd rather leave my guns with my relative than the base armory. When SHTF, I'm sure I wouldn't have access to the armory.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

My condolences on the loss of your freedoms.

Personally, i'd pick up a couple of low-capacity 10 round mags for the XDM for use. Afterall, the job market is TIGHT right now, a bit too tight to justify jumping ship over an assignment you may be out of in a couple of years. Perhaps the next step should be planning an escape route, perhaps through an in-demand specialty skill of some type.

They say, with proper lubricant, positioning, and relaxtion exercises, living with those crazy Cali firearms regulations can be bearable for most people.

edit* I couldn't do it myself. I am constantly tempted by all the Cali teaching jobs at their community colleges, but i couldn't take my car (header) or enjoy some of my firearms. Enjoy the weather, at least.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Actually it is exempted as a rimfire.
    Your mini is only banned because of the flash hider...
    The ar your simplest solution would be to buy a bullet button, but since you don't want to spend any money you're sol there:p

19. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I've been looking and looking, but I can't find the rimfire exception. It says any semi-auto pistol with a threaded barrel is an "assault weapon".

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member