Military looking 1911s?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SafariSam, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

what currently made 1911 looks most like the ones made for the military during world war 2?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Springfield's GI.45 1911A1, Auto Ordnance makes one, and I'm sure there are others that make one as well.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My guess.....Springfield GI 5IN 45 ACP, OD

[​IMG]

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Most fullsize entry level or G.I. Models will mimic the looks of the original 1911-A1. Downside is that you may give up some of the desired "upgrades" like a better trigger, hammer and beveled ejection port.

5. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

my gunshop told me that Springfield don't make the GI models anymore which really bummed me out because that is the one i wanted most. they told me the closest thing to the GI model was made by Iver Johnson and Rock Island.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the SA Mil-Spec, the Remington R-1, the plain RIA, the Metro Arms American Classic, plus many others.

7. Serno

Serno New Member

Springfield has the Mil Spec
    Springfield Armory

ParaUSA
    Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: GI Expert

Some for sale:
    Springfield 1911 45 ACP GI NEW BLOW OUT! 45ACP : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Springfield Armory 1911 GI 45 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Springfield Armory WWII GI MILSPEC 1911-A1 LNIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    SPRINGFIELD 1911-A1 45ACP GI MIL-SPEC : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Just a little bit of info for ya!

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'll be darned. You're right, they no longer manufacturer the GI.45 :eek:

9. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Damn! No more sa gi model!?

10. kalepas

kalepas New Member

In my opinion any of the SA 1911 models look like the old GI models. Aside from the TRP and compact models! Just bought a SA range officer and it looks just like old GI models just a lil nicer. Stainless steel barrel is only really noticeable difference from a distance.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup, I guess just about any 1911 maker has a "GI" model :cool:

12. Axxe55

just something about the classic looks of the wwII era looking 1911! just screams nostalgia. my very first one i bought over twenty years ago, a Springfield Armory Defender 1911 was very similar to the GI or the Mil-Spec models. sure wish i had it back!

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think back on the ones I had & let go & I get a sore leg trying to kick my own butt :(
    I have a old (built in the 70's) Essex build that I left original except I HAD to add better sites - It goes nowhere less I'm with it :D

[​IMG]

14. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

When I served in the USN, we carried Colt 1911A1 back in the 80's and 90's. From the shape they were in they were probably WWII left overs. I have a SA Range Officer to remind me of the good ole days.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

My grandfathers Colt was made in 1912, and looks like it left the factory yesterday, or at least it used to. My dad has it now, so there's no telling what kind of shape it's in. My sister said he put me in his will for it though, so one day it will be mine.

16. Axxe55