Military Channel Rifle Quiz.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Mar 25, 2011.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

8/10 for me and one right answer was a guess.

Good job bringing these around Tango.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Bullsh!t!!

9/10

Civilian rifle design HAS NOT significantly advanced over the last 100 years?!?!

EXCUSE ME?!?!

Where do you think the next generation sniper rifles came from?!?!

That is a bullsh!t question! Benchrest shooters have done more to advance long range shooters than ANYONE out there.

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

I got this one wrong also, and my thoughts are just like yours. Who can we complain to?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 1903 springfield WAS the first semi auto rifle adopted then quickly discarded as ww1 ended. the pederson device was used to convert it to semi-auto fire to be used in the last great push to topple germany. germany surrendered before it could be used and all but a few were destroyed at the end of the war. according to army testing it worked extremely well.

and yes civvy rifle development has advanced greatly with materials metals and stocks along with huge advances in sighting devices. you can see the difference in comparing the pre-1900 mausers to modern mauser rifles same design more advanced materials rifling and trigger design along with barrel making muchhhhh better rifles as just one example.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree that the Pedersen Device equipped 1903 predated the Garand- but so did the Mondragon rifle issued to the Mexican Army in the 1800s.

Is it time for C3 to create another quiz? :D

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes it is. a real one.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yes there have been advancements. But it is still the same basic design. many rifles are 2 lugs with a 90deg bolt throw You either turn and pull or just pull the bolt to chamber a new round.

So really there has been little improvement of the bolt action design. Now the stocks, scopes, barrels, ect..... have had huge advancement.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I disagree. 3 locking lugs and the 60 degree bolt throw? Civilian design. 6 locking lugs on the RPA? Civilian Design for the Benchrest Community.

Those didn't happen because of the military.

Ackerely cartridges? Not a military design, but a valuable, valuable design to the shooting community.

.338 Lapua? Designed by the civilian community FOR the military - but it was still a civilian design.

Rifle bedding? Not a military concept.

Scope Rails with 20 MOA built in? Not a military concept.

Just saying that I feel that question is a crock. The civilian marketplace has driven a HUGE advancement in accuracy and single shot rifles.

JD

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I got 8/10.

I was wrong about rifle desing being updated and incorrectly guessed about the first semi auto gun.

11. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

9/10

Same reason as Dillinger and Car54.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And THIS is from a guy who knows a thing or two about the modern rifle. :cool:

His father has designed the lightest .50 Caliber sniper platform on the planet.

My Ninja. :D

JD

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Just took it again ... 10/10 :D

14. General_lee

General_lee New Member