Military Bug Out Bag???

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by GlockRenegade, Jun 27, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Ok so recently I heard this from a buddy. In a SHTF situation he wants a normal looking back pack. Something that does NOT look military in any way, nothing that says prepared. No Molle packs he said. This way people wnt think you have much in there, and if there are cops/leo's/military around still your normal everyday backpack wont look out of place. Specially if you have guns and ammo in it!! :) But some will say regular backpacks arent strong enough, not enough space, etc. Basically stay under the radar. Thoughts?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Off the top of my head, the only packs I can think of that compare to the durability (not counting that molle sh!t), capacity, and utility of a military pack still screams "PREPARED". Civilian mountain hiking packs are what I'm thinking of.

3. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

True. I think maybe a tad bit less obvious, but still right there.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Note that classicaly they are body-hugging unframed packs and usually only top-loading which makes access difficult.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

5.11 makes covert operations packs. They aren't cheap.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Heres my Bag , Kelty Slick rock 5500, 5500 cubic inches , does well with 25-40# loads excellent support straps, I have had this since 1997 and its been a good pack , seperate bag compartment in the bottom which unzips and makes access to the upper compartment from the bottom . It has the gopher hole between the straps that allows you to get inside to get things without unbuckling the top section , also has hydration bladder compartment inside , upper comes off and turns into a fanny pack . Holds most everything I need if I need to bail out and the daisy chains on the outside allow to strap or hook more stuff on if needed . I think I paid around $119 for it on a closeout sale way back in the day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I agree, there are some guys that will throw on 90 pounds of military garb with their battle rifle of choice, 10 magazines and a pack full of MRE's and run out the door. :rolleyes:

First ones to die, then I get their gear.:D

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I carry a smaller pack in my 4runner just in case something happens away from home. Its a freebie gym bag from whatever random bank a few years ago.

If it is shtf, I don't care what the bag looks like. I have a large Alice pack and a Ruck sack that are ready to go in the basement.

A covert bag is intriguing though. Might consider it.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm going after the guys with Kelty's. Their food is going to taste better than MRE's... ;)

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Trip , Who said I was packin food. Just be sure to bring lots of .22lr and .223 ammo and dinner is served :D

11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I've thought about appearances before and was also thinking I didn't want to look militant. That just screams "shoot me", either for your supplies or just because you might be considered a threat by decent people. After thinking about it I've decided a shopping cart and the homeless look is the way to go, which if you had to bug out you would be!!!!:)

In all seriousness I don't how you should look, but I think appearances would be very important.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Close enough! Gonna get us some varmints, eh?

13. southernfirepower

southernfirepower New Member

I have an eberlestock terminator pack. Although it is a tactical pack it does come with a rain cover. The reson I bring it up is. If your concerned about looking like a militant, maybe you could dye the cover a different color in order to give you the ability to blend in amongst the masses at first glance.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

That is a brilliant idea. It's the simple solutions that are sometimes the hardest to see...

15. southernfirepower

southernfirepower New Member

Thx hope the idea helped

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

That would be something neon?

17. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

To be honest I don't think it will make much difference.

Alot of fashion trends these days tend toward the poseur (poser) types who wish they were hardcore third world badasses (I'm not sure if that word is acceptable on here - I'm sure someone will inform me if it is not). My point - look at all the "fashion" that is all camo: pants, shorts, jackets. It has become fashionable (at least where I live) for totally non-military urban types - who have never stepped foot outside of an air-conditioned mall, to wear military garb and have tacticool stuff just for looks.

Plus in a true SHTF scenario, bad guys will steal from anyone, be it hiker types or militant types or poseurs. Looking military might even make you look like a harder target (assuming you have your gun out too) and they'll leave you alone (although I guess the gun is the more important part of the equation).

Leo's may have an itch out for you, but they may also have bigger fish to fry assuming that you don't play it up too much and start setting up checkpoints or causing trouble. (Ie do not do what they did in Patriots - I loved the book but they were askin to be shot with their strett ambush thing).

Military stuff might be better if you are heading to the bush versus hiker gear which is intended to attract attention (thats why they are red / neon usually)

Overall, I say get what you are comfortable with, and don't pretend to be a milita guy either way. Civy stuff can be just as functional as military stuff, and some military stuff is just designed to get the mall ninja crowd.

Get what you think you can use and fits you. Looks are important, but actions are more important.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012