Mil-Surp Rifle, Enfield, Mauser, SKS, other?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Oct 30, 2010.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Alright, tomorrow I intend to pick up either a Mauser 8mm (Kar98 I hope), a British Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.II, a CHEAP SKS, or some other comparable rifle, they will more or less be used as collectibles, shooters and the occasional deer rifle, the only reason the SKS is even listed is the fact that it is semi auto. Ammo cost is not an issue (unless it is like $1.50 a rd). Any suggestions? My budget is a strict $350, also I found 2 Enfield No 4 Mk.IIs, one is $250 and one is $325, the difference being one is good condition the latter is excellent. Does that justify the difference in price? BTW, I collect WWII items, this the reasoning for the Mil-Surps, apparently the SKS also saw VERY limited useage in 1945.

Thanks

Also, no Mosin Nagants

2. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

sputnik:

I have one of each of the rifles you have listed. If I was only able to purchase one, it would be the K98k. I assume that you are looking at a K98k, not the older WW1 vintage K98. But I want one of those as well. My Enfield No 4 Mk II shoots better than my k98k, but I have always loved the Mauser bolt action! But you should buy the one that your gut tells you you want the most.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The 98k is awesome, but I doubt you'll find one other than a Russian capture at that price. Really check for bore wear at the muzzle. You may also find a Czech Brno stamped post war '98. That would be my choice. It will likely take all your funds, but Aim still has Romanian ammo fairly cheap.
    The Enfield No4 MK1*, 2, 1/2, 1/3 are all great rifles, but sadly ammo is not cheap. Savage and Longbranch have the best fit and finish, The Longbranch tends to be the most accurate.
    You should also keep an eye out for a Swede M96 or M38. Caliber: 6.5x55

Yugo 24/47's are a great buy and tend to be very accurate. Caliber: 8x57

4. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

My vote goes for the swedish M96 if you can find a nice one, it will be more accurate than the rest, next in line would be a nice lee enfield good guns and if they were taken care of they are great, the 98's are getting to be a bit on the iffy side but once again if you find a good one get it as it is the strongest of all of them. i have two 98's one in 458 and the other is a 8mm/06. i have a enfiled(Lee) that has been polished, beblued and a walnut monte carlo stock on it smooth as slik. Use your judgement, find what , you like and go for it.

5. patret

patret New Member

The 8mm Mauser is hard to beat. Ammo is also cheap. I would but a 98k Mauser if I had the choice. The SkS and the Enfield are good rifles. I have them all but please have the one you buy head spaced.The Endfields are easy to fix. The Mauser would be expensive to fix.

Patret

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Good rifles all, if in very good condition. Get into handloading, and the ammo is a nonissue - the components are all available and the loads will be much cheaper.
    For a starter milsurp, I'd likely start with that excellent Enfield! :)

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

$250??? I am old. I picked up a SMLE for $10 with a bunch of ammo when I was in Alaska 50 years ago. I gave it to a homesteader that was hurting and wanted to borrow a rifle. He had enough money for his license and a box of ammo and needed to get a moose to carry his family through the winter. He used it to shoot a moose and 3 caribou. Since he did not have to buy ammo, he was able to get a license for his 8 month pregnant wife and got another moose. He shared the meat with a couple of neighbors. A lot of the homesteaders back then were barely scraping by but they still helped each other out. Some of the brokest and most generous people I met.

8. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

J&G has Enfield No.4 mk1s for 230-240

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. jpattersonnh

Old is not a four letter word. I was buying and selling No4's years ago for $80.00 to 120.00 each. Vet bring back K98k's were $125.00. Arisaka 99's were $100.00, we are talking matching rifles here. We northern folks still help out our neighbors. I have an acquaintance that ran into trouble, he lost his job and needed money for the mortgage. I "bought" his Model 7 in 7-08, a rifle that he had searched for for years. I contacted everyone that I could think of that knew him. W/ $5.00 here and $10.00 there, I gave him his rifle back before Any game seasons hit.

Better be careful stating that the .303 Brit can take Caribou. ;)

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just some more food for thought, consider an '03, an '03A3 and a 1917. ;)

11. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

JTJ remeber all those ads in the magazines before 68 and how cheap things were as you said. I get a kick out of all the people now going ape over a Nagant we wouldnr have even considered one with all the 98,o3's and 17's back then. those daya are gone but will never be forgotten.

12. JTJ

The 303 has taken every game animal in Africa. I dont think a caribou would be any harder. It was stated after WW1 that the Germans had the best hunting rifle, the Americans had the best target rifle and the Brits had the best battle rifle. The people that designed the SMLE knew a lot about fighting wars and they did a good job.

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

One would think so, but after correcting the headspace on a couple of my own Enfields, I would have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Unless you have an unlimited supply of barrels, bolt bodies and bolt heads to pick and chose from like the military did - getting the proper clearances and timing of the bolt head takes a bit of work actually when you have a limited supply of parts to chose from.

Just try finding a #3 bolt head these days..... :cool:

Been there, done that, and had to machine it afterward to get the timing right. Easy you say? :p :D

14. JTJ

15. jpattersonnh

That is a great point!! One should look for a matching rifle w/ a 0,1 bolt head, that way if it does have an issue, you have a way out that is easily fixed, so to speak. No4 is pretty easy.

We need a sticky on this kind of stuff.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good catch JTJ. The K31 is a great rifle.

17. jpattersonnh

To bad the surplus ammo is soooo expensive!! Just a few years ago surplus was $12.00 per 60 round pack (.20). Now .75 to $1.20 is the norm per round. if you don't reload you are SOL.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  18. JTJ

7.5x55 new mfg $149/200 shipped.
    AMMOMAN.COM

Slug the barrel. A worn barrel may accept .308/7.62mm bullets NOT loaded rounds.

19. group17

group17 New Member

I have a re-arsenaled Yugo 98k and a Mk 4#1 both great shooters. Hunting I take the Enfield. The cheapest commercial ammo I have found is Private Partizan which you can get in 8mm & 303 for under $18. I only paid $150 for the Mauser and $170 for the Enfield 2 years ago. Both in great condition.
    Good luck with your search.

20. jpattersonnh

.75 a round!! Why would it take a worn "barrel" (bore) to accept .308 bullets. 7.5 is .308! Metric measures the lands, not the grooves! Does anyone have a clue around here!!! 2nd thread I've posted this on today! F..ing dangerous sh!t. If you own a firearm, learn the real deal before posting!!!!!
    Update, here is the link. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/military-surplus-german-98k-wwii-where-get-33854/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010