Mil spec vs Commercial spec stock?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by magnum05, Nov 25, 2012.

1. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

im wanting to buy a new stock but im not quite sure what the difference between mil and commercial spec is.. i have a bushmaster carbine with an adjustable stock already but want to upgrade to a magpul.. Anyone can help me and explain the difference so i know what i have or need

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

A picture is worth 1k words

Attached Files:

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

[​IMG]

milspec is stronger because it is a smaller diameter with thicker walls than a commercial tube

milspec tubes are flat on the rear commercial have a slant at the rear. thats the two obvious by looking features

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

LOL same pic

5. Hoffs333

Hoffs333 New Member

More than likely it will be a commercial buffer tube. I also have a Bushmaster and got a Magpul MOE stock. The difference between the commercial and mil-spec is the mil spec is a bit smaller in diameter, shorter in length and is straight on the back end. The commercial buffer is overall bigger and the end of it is at a bit of an angle.

ForumRunner_20121125_114523.jpg

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

What is they say about sharp minds?

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Be aware that not all commercial tubes are angled on the rear.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A stupid question perhaps, but what problem is the slanted rear the solution to? Heck, for that matter, why create a new spec at all?

9. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

by looking at pics does the commercial always have 6 position and the mil have 4 position? @ Hoffs.. the end of my buffer is flat and is a 4 position.. I guess the best way to find out is to take my stock off and measure the tube? correct?

10. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

The mil-spec's do come in 6 position. I just got one from larue. I'm sure ther e are other manufacturers that make them also.

11. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Magpie makes both commercial and mil spec.

12. Hoffs333

Hoffs333 New Member

Mine is a 6 position angled. The angle is very slight...only a few degrees

ForumRunner_20121125_131802.jpg

ForumRunner_20121125_131743.jpg

13. Hoffs333

Hoffs333 New Member

And as far as I know its a stock Bushmaster commercial buffer. I would definitely measure it

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

:D :D :D :D :D :p

15. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Ha stupid iPad corrects everything, like just now I spelled iPad with a lowercase p and it corrected it

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah Busmaster uses the cheaper commercial diameter tube but measure anyway just in case. This is why so many of us recommend milspec ARs in the first place. Very annoying to have to remember that your AR uses oddball sizes on the tube and sight height, among other cost saving issues.

17. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

well is was wanting a 6 position anyways so if my stock tube is commercial would i be able to put mil spec on since the tubes are pretty cheap

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, and it's a great idea now since you're buying a stock anyway so no extra cost. PSA sells the milspec tube for $20 last time I checked. It's good to go, I paid a little more and got their full kit that also came with buffer/spring/end plate/castle nut.

My buddy did this to his BM and they assembled it with gunk on the threads so it was a female dog to remove.

19. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

Yeah I was thinking of getting magpul acs stock and found a mil spec 6 postion tube from I think spike tact for $15

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Spikes should be GTG too and you can't argue with $15. PSA has a great price on Magpul stock kits including the tube, spring, buffer, end plate and castle nut. Haven't checked to see if they have the ACS or ACS-L. It might be worth it if you can sell your old stock/tube to recover some of the cost.