Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by supergus, Apr 24, 2009.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

I'm moving to the only county in NC who has a law prohibiting any copy of a military automatic rifle. :mad:(Long story... suffice it to say when you're married, compromises have to be made. At least I don't have to go back to NH:D) I have several hundred rounds of .223 ammo, so I thought about a bolt gun. Two questions: In past years, Ruger's Mini's have had thin walled barrels which made them only mildly accurate IMO. Are today's Rugers, such as the Model 77, made with good heavy barrels? Also, does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt guns? TIA.

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

No experience personally with Savage, but I subscribe to 6 Gun Magazines including SHooting Times (one of the more reputable) and all of them have had articles over the last 2 years glorifying the Savage line of rifles. They make a Mod.12 that supposedly makes sub-.5" groups and is built specifically for competing - it's cheaper than any other rifle built for competition. All of their rifles from the Mod.110 on up to this newest Mod.12 are touted as being more accurate out-of-the-box than any other commercially produced rifle costing hundreds more. From what I have read I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. The only thing I don't like is the appearance of their accu-trigger - I think it's ugly, but supposedly it works spectacularly. Of course if you're in NC you should check out the new Win. Mod.70 being produced in SC, but be prepared to spend over $1000 for one.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

3. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I have a Stevens Mod 200 that I payed 300 for new. It is a good rifle, too light for me though need to put a wood stock on it.

4. Gene Langston

Gene Langston New Member

You can get a heavy barrel M 77. Or a Savage, which is an excellent and less expensive rifle. All the 77s I've owned had trigger issues. I've got a Savage in .300 WM and it's very accurate.

Which county in N.C. doesn't allow military-style rifles? (where Chapel Hill is located?) I'd think that would be not constitutional due to the SCOTUS decision in D.C.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

All good advice. Or you can buy a new Mini 14 if you would still like a semi auto. It's not an AR, but they are greatly improved.

6. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

Ditto on the stevens,I also have a mod 200.It is somewhat light but it does't bother me.As for the accutrigger you can have the stevens trigger reworked and still be way cheaper than the Savage, Mine has about 2lbs pull max.
    HOWEVER if you're selling your AR and are looking to reinvest I do hear the savage with the trigger and stock are the bees knees

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

An out of the box Savage rifle will run circles around a Ruger 77. The 77 has never been know for being a tac-driver,they are however a nice gun with a better fit/finish than the Savage.

One thing to find out if buying a bolt action 223,is the barrel twist rate,some mfg's have been known having 1:10,1:12 twist rates that really limit shooting anything over 55gr bullets. 1:9 is a good choice for most 223 ammo. I prefer 1:8,but I shoot mostly 62-75gr bullets.

8. supergus

supergus New Member

That's my plan. I can probably sell the AR for about $1,200 so I'd like to find a .223 bolt gun for 1k or under.

Gene, it's Durham County. Chapel Hill is Chatham County I believe. As far as Heller goes, Durham County isn't banning guns, just limiting what you can own:rolleyes: I'm going to talk to the DA and try to get an answer; they may have changed since Heller.

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

You may want to check the rules regarding the AR ban in your new county.

Here in CA we have some of the toughest ban laws in the country. Certain makes and models are on the list and the rifles receiver can’t be on that list. I bought an off list receiver and built the rest of the rifle using Stag AR parts. You may be able to modify your AR to comply with the local laws and still have an AR style rifle.

10. supergus

supergus New Member

Thanks Jo. I never thought of that. I'll check it out.

11. rugermike

rugermike New Member

270 Ruger 77 MKII les than 1MOA Forasle or trade?

E-mail me at mikem@tls.net if you have interest in a 5/8 inch group at 100yard Ruger MKII 99%++ in a Win 270 130gr BT? Great varmint and deer, and elk and black bear and anything out to 300 yards dead on:):).
    mikem@tls.net

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I've got less than 1k in my Howa 1500 .223 with a 24" heavy barrel and a Nikon 4.5-14x scope. Shoots great at least to 200, I haven't had the chance to take it further than that.

13. J33Nelson

J33Nelson New Member

Tikka Tactical in .223

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

SG - Sorry I missed this thread when it first hit.

First off, you need to check and see if your model and year of AR is grandfathered in. Most states, and I can't see yours being any different, that went with the first AWB, still allowed models previously purchased to be grandfathered in. As such, you would be "allowed" to keep your weapon.

If you can't keep it, make sure and price it right for the market. Let's be honest, people are paying double what they should for parts right now, a complete weapon is going to make you a good profit. :cool:

The Savage is getting some good reviews. I haven't shot it, but the reports are that it is a good, out of the box rifled action.

Personally, right now, I don't think there is a better boltgun for the money than the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-Moa. It's basically the Howa 1500 that Weatherby has made to "their specs" at the CNC shop of Howa in Japan. The action is very sturdy, the extractor is rock solid, and their actions have a very tight tolerance.

I have a Howa 1500 that I built into a .25-06 for my grandfather before he passed. He had given me my first boltgun and I ended up giving him his last one. He said he never had a weapon that shot that well, and he had collected weapons his whole life.

This thing has a standard Douglas barrel on it, a hunting profile at that, and it shoots .40 groups if I do my part.

For the money, the Vanguard is the way to go. .99 MOA guaranteed from the factory with standard over the counter ammo. You're going to find it hard to beat that type of a guarantee.....

JD

15. shoez

shoez New Member

I recently got a Savage 12 with a 26" heavy fluted barrel and a laminated thumbhole stock and accu trigger. I have shot 1" 5 shot groups at 200 yards when I do my part, and that is with Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's, not match bullets. The accu trigger is awesome. I have a 20x Simmons Whitetail classic scope on it. A heavy rig though. I have about $800 in it.

BTW, if my wife told me we were moving somewhere where I had to give up my AR15, time for a different wife:p

16. supergus

supergus New Member

update

I've just been set straight by a gun owner who has lived in Durham NC for 39 years and used to be the Glock armorer for DPD. Only handguns need to be registered but not long guns. And the ordinance about not allowing military look-a-likes never even made it through the city council.:D So off to Durham we go:rolleyes: (I'd rather stay in out in the country, but I'd rather keep my wife even more).

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Good news Gus.

And don't forget to keep your friends here at FTF!

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is great news S.G.

Keep that AR - Me thinks you are going to need it in the coming 12 month period. :rolleyes:

JD

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

'Gus that is great news. Now start stocking up on some AR's. :D

20. supergus

supergus New Member

MMM...HMMMM!!! I'd have to agree. Honestly though, when I thought I'd have to give up the AR and started looking at bolt guns, I have to say that after I buy my BUG J-frame, a bolt gun for competition will be next:D. Can you say .338 Lapua? Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it:cool: