Mid length hand guards on a carbine ar15??????

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Nov 10, 2010.

1. I have been look at putting a mid lenght and guard set up on my dpms carbine. Has anybody done this or seen it done. What all does it in tail. I figures one would have to get a new gas tube and a new gas block. any info would be great.:D

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Where is the gas port situated on the barrel? What type of guards are you considering? Not all guards can be installed over a gas block, tube will need to be same length since distance from port to BCA is not changing.

Another option is to switch out to a free float tube which can be installed over a low profile gas block, you will lose front sight tower so a rail will be requird for BUIS, if desired.

In the picture below you can clearly see the different positions of the port relative to the front of the upper receiver. I am assuming your Carbine is in the traditional M4 setup as shown in the lower of the 2 rifles pictured and you desire a guard like the one in ( in length anyway) the upper rifle..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010