Microwave ovens and food quality

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by downsouth, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

FWIW, deep frying ain't exactly great either. Boiling the crap out of your veggies is bad too.

2. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Any type of cooking destroys vitamins and eats up calories.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree that any cooking takes away vitamins and I do use a microwave but I also believe it is better and more natural to 'cook foods with heat' rather than in a microwave.

4. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

That I can agree with. Microwaved food never tastes as good IMHO.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Gees you mean fried chicken is not a health food? Eating raw chicken is better for you? I will never understand this eating healthy thing. Any bacon left in the skillet?:D

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most people overcook the vegetables.

7. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What I have read says that steaming is the best way to cook a vegetable to lose the least amount of nutrients. It would be helpful if some study were done to show comparisons between steaming, boiling, microwaving and also those microwave steam bags.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I must admit I like using those microwave steam bags. You can buy them in the grocery store section that has other Ziploc type bags. Fill the steam bags yourself with anything and.......instant veggies. I love to steam potatoes in those bags, also carrots.

But roasted potatoes and carrots are just tastier. A microwaved sweet potato is never as delicious as a baked sweet potato.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't trust any plastic for cooking.

10. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

My favorite is what I call Camp taters. Im not sure if its the right name or what but. Put cut taters, greens, and whatever meat you like into aluminum foil with your choice of seasoning and about half a beer and throw it on your fire (or in an oven if you're doing it at home.

11. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Might have to try those 'camp taters'... Sounds yummy!

12. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Sooo good. I like to use some crushed ghost pepper in mine. But my SO doesnt like too much heat.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

HOT

FAST

GOOD

(pick two...)

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've called them foil packs since boy scouts. Usually hamburger patty, potatoes, onion, carrots, maybe some squash. Season with seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper. :)

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

We do the same thing, goes by the same name.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We made those in girl scouts too. We also used to slice a banana in half and stuff it with chocolate chips and marshmallows and cook it on the fire too. Yum.....

17. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I always did it with a bell pepper, stuff it with meat, potatoes and the kitchen sink. Wrap in foil and toss it on the coals.

Ps, the microwave stuff is bs except for some plastics and all Styrofoam.

18. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

This will sound bad to some but I really don't care about the nutritional content of my food. If it's homemade, it's healthier than fast food and that's good enough for me.

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

ever have spam? No matter how you make it in your home it is refuse in a can ;)