Michigan small game.

Discussion in 'Michigan Gun Forum' started by fupuk, Sep 25, 2013.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Picked up my small game licence today because I forgot to get it when I got my deer tags. Going out Friday morning to see what I can get. Wondering where everybody does their hunting and what type of firearm your using? Im going to be on state land down by Hastings, MI.

2. aristoi

aristoi New Member

I know this is an old thread but this coming up season you may want to try the state land on red pine drive in Kent county, for squirrels. Make sure to say hi to me :p.

3. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Where exactly is that at? And I definitely will say hi if I see you there..

4. aristoi

aristoi New Member

North of Sparta or east of Kent City/Casanovea area. Do a Google search of the Rough river State game area. Its maybe 15 20 minutes from GR, depending on how you drive. I will be the guy dressed head to toe in camo. I get harassed about it but I walk out with more meat then any of the other hunters.

There is Coyotes, squirrels, last year a guy got a black bear. many of us have seen a mountain lion. you will recanise the tracks because he/she is only uses 3 legs. The right rear leg is crippled. As far as I know nobody has gotten a shot off and I hope they never do. Stear clear on dear season opener, its a war zone every moron with a firearm shows up there.

5. aristoi

aristoi New Member

Any luck finding the rouge river state game area? its a very productive area with very active squirrel activity, which make it some what of a challenge. I enjoy hunting there very much. Another good place is the state game are noth of Baldwin east down 4 mile. Little far but I go there once a year and am never disappointed. It has all manner of game.

If you are having trouble finding the rouge state game I can draw you a map with the most active trails marked.

6. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Haven't even look it up yet. But I will definitely have to try it out.

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I'm in southern Michigan and there's really only one okay state area here between Three Rivers and Constantine. I'm been blessed with an employee who's dad owns 600 acres of mostly wooded land just outside of Three Rivers though that let's me hunt anything but deer there though so I'm counting myself pretty lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk