metro arms 1911 commander

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CaseyChadwell, Feb 18, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

So I picked up a metro arms commander length 1911 today. Fit and finish is very nice. The gun looks very nice and the sights are wonderful 3 dot navack (spelling?) Style. I picked up the gun an extra magazine 50 rounds of ammo and a leather holster for $577. I am very pleased with it so far. Ibran half the box through the gun with no malfunctions. I know that's not a lot, but it's all I had time to do. The awesome part of the 25 or so rounds I ran through the gun they all grouped into about 3.5" at 12 yards. I think that is just fine.

Will post pics when I learn how to on my phone.

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

As long as it's feeding properly, sounds like you got a good one. Congrats!

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not bad and congrats! i am on my second and the current one is the Commander. 3.5" at 12 yards is pretty good.

is yours the blued or hard chrome version?

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'm not a flashy guy so I went with blued.

I am not sure how I feel about the short short short guide rod. Seems like it's doing fine so far. If I decided to put a longer guide rod in, how would I go about that? Is it even possible to do that?

5. Axxe55

i wouldn't even waste the money. reason is it works fine as is and it won't gain you anything. i have sued them before in the past and couldn't tell any difference. put the money towards ammo. it will benefit you more.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Complete waste of time and money. 1911s were designed with the shorter guide rod.

7. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

GREAT pistol - decent quality for the money for sure. I owned a hard chrome Commander and only sold it because I turned a decent little profit and bought another gun ;)

8. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

image-3125416016.jpg

image-35952047.jpg

I got mine on feb. 1st and i love it. It shoots amazing. No problems what so ever keep it clean though. 1911 are real malfunction prone if they are dirty.

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I ran a full box of ammo through my 1911 today. Still no malfunctions still accurate...still can't believe I have waited so long to get another one. I'm not to the point where I would feel comfortable with it as a everyday carry gun, but after a few hundred more rounds and some more familiarizing with it, I think it will be my go to gun when I leave my house. I have been carrying it when home to get used to it and I think it actually packs better than my xd.

The shooting I did today was at 12 yards again and with the exception of a few flyers, it shot wonderfully. Still shooting into a few inches at that distance with ball ammo. Gunna pick up some jhp tomorrow to run through it and see how they feed. I haven't cleaned it yet, but am about to get the cleaning kit out now.

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

I'm getting tired of reading these gun reports on MetroArms American Classic 1911's. They keep saying the same thing over and over again: they're accurate, they're reliable, their fit is excellent, their finish is great, they're fun to shoot, they're great guns for the money.

It's just gotten to the point of being boring. Sheesh! You'd think everyone was shooting my AC Gov't Model.

:D;)

11. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

You know the only thing better than finding a 1911 that shoots good and seems to be reliable? A 1911 that your 12 year old son shoots as good as you. :) nothing like standing behind your son as he pulls the trigger on his first 45, hits the 10 ring and turns around and looks at you and says "do you have more ammo?". Then he turns back around and proseeds to shoot the next seven rounds into the right and ten rings. :) looks like I'm going to have to buy more ammo to keep this kid (and me) happy.

Nothing like your son and you having the same interests. :) I don't know if you all can tell or not, but I am very happy right now.

12. stretchb1953

stretchb1953 New Member

saw the Metro line of 1911's this week for the first time. was wondering if they were any good. seems like they are worth trying out. never had a commander size 1911. most of mine are full size except for the compact one i bought. they do look very nice though.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

You will not be upset with the purchase.

14. StainlessSteel215

I miss mine....

Had to trade towards another gun ;)

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You DO NOT need a FLGR! Buy more ammo with the saved $.

16. StainlessSteel215

Thats my new philosophy with 1911's....if it doesnt come with one stock then I AINT touching it!

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm in the no need for a guide rod change. Honestly you will see very little or no difference. I mean, where does that spring have to go that the FLGR will help it?

I have them with both and the one major difference I see in the full length rod is they are harder to break down...That's the simple truth.

Many people get a decent 1911 and the first thing they do is go about changing it. Really other than maybe a cool set of grips (those will change accuracy as much as that new rod). I can see no reason to do much of anything if in fact the pistol is good to start with. Spend the money on ammo. :)

18. Axxe55

actually a new set of grips could make it more accurate! give you a better grip and aid in handling it while shooting.

i only change things for a few reasons. if it's broke or worn out and needs replaced. to personalize it to fit me or my needs. or to make it look nicer.

19. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Congrats I used to have that same 1911 but sold it due to some hard times. I loved though out of the box I did have some extraction issues and feeding issues had to get a new higher pound recoil spring and have my gun smith tweak the extractor all in all it was a great shooter and great 1911 for the money however my sights are set on the new ruger 1911 commander hope you like your new 1911!

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You got a point. Most new ones come with some form of checkered grip. I tend to remove these as I like the look of good wood without the checkering. My grip is fine, I guess if I was changing my oil and a bad guy come to get me I'd be boned though :eek:

Truth be told though a grip change can help ones shooting. So they do have more use than a full length rod..heh