metal targets

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by vito77, Nov 25, 2011.

1. vito77

vito77 New Member

can anybody tell me what kind of gauge metal i should use to build my shooting targets with for my .45acp. and .223

2. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

1\4 inch steel is good.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I think you may have to go up to 1/2"

4. You need at least 1/4-inch AR500 steel. If you use softer steel it will crater and you may get ricochets from the deformed steel that come back at you. The real problem with the AR500 steel is cutting it. If you use something like a cutting torch, you'll take the temper out of the steel. The best way to cut it is either using a water jet or submerged plasma cutter.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I agree on 1/4"
    I use 3/16" right now & have a few holes in them
    Going to make some more soon :eek:

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah, everybodies got access to that equipment :p

7. That's the point - if you don't have the correct cutting equipment, don't waste your money on AR500 steel and ruin it with a torch. That's why good steel targets cost what they do - materials plus the correct cutting equipment. If you use mild steel - then you have to take the chance on ricochets or punching holes through the steel.

Do you know whether the OP has access to a machine shop with the equipment or not? He may and if he does then he can get it done correctly. If not, he can contract for it or, do what I did and buy targets from someone like Wideners. I got their multi-pack and have used them with both rifles and handguns.

When you figure materials plus your time, the target set is not all that unreasonable in cost.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I built some with 3/8" mild steel. The 7.62 x 25 dents the heck out of them, the 7.62 x 54R blows through them like they are butter. .45 puts small dings in them at 20 yards. I don't shoot a .223, but I suspect, with the velocity and small size it would puncture them as well.

What does do a good job of stopping bullets is a "blind flange" used on mechanical piping. You can get a 9" carbon steel blind flange for around $40.00. You should never have to replace it. It also has good mounting holes built in.

Shooting at less than 20 yards, even with a pistol, is dangerous as the copper jackets tend to come back at ya in little sharp pieces.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

When i worked for the prison system we were having our monthly SRT training. We happened to have an extra sheet of 1"1/2 ballistic "bullet proof" glass. We experimented with several different calibers, 9mm,.45acp, .40, .357mag, .38, .223, .308, and 7.62x39. ALL pistol rounds stopped about halfway through, and all rifle rounds went clean through without much resistance..

10. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Quarter inch mild steel will work for the .45 (hard steel is better) but not for the .223. A .223 will pierce or pock most metals, so I'd recommend NOT shooting metal targets (especially up close)......use paper, cardboard or wood unless you like to replace metal targets often.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Inside 50 yards a fmj 22 wmr round will go all the way through 2" bullet proof glass.

12. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Then it wouldn't be "bullet proof" glass now would it. Just say'n

13. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

I use 5/16" steel and our gunclub has a post on the side of the berm that marks the limit for shooting at steel. Meaning do not stand any closer than this white post if you are shooting steel. For Rifle I have a 3/4 " steel that we only shoot at 100 or 200 yards. It is about 18" in dia. All rifle bullets will pock the face of it but the FMJ Army rounds will go through it. When it gets enough holes I just weld them up and we shoot some more. All our steel we buy from a salvage yard for just the price per lb that kind of steel brings on the scrap market. I doubt if we have over $50 in 5 steel plates. I drill holes in the edge (2 places to keep it from twisting) and use a bolt and nut to fasten a piece of heavy chain to the top. then put a couple of nails in the bottom 2x4 that holds up the target board. Hook the chains over the nails. Simple but it works. Oh yah the bolts are about 4" long so it lets the plates hang down at an angle which allows the bullets to splatter down at the ground.
    Sarge

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya so they say

15. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I make all types of steel targets in my shop. I also have a CNC Plasma Cutting Table. For .45ACP use 3/8" AR500 plate. I use 1/2" to 5/8" AR500 for rifle targets. For safety sake, don't use steel targets any closer than 20 yards.

Jim............

16. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

There is nothing wrong with shooting steel, provided you select the proper material. As someone who regularly shoots steel plates I would suggest at least 3/8" steel with the "AR", or abrasion resistant, designation. As mentioned AR500 is a good choice.
    There are many vendors that can provide targets and holders for a fair price. I purchased from Big Dog Steel and was very happy, he cuts with a waterjet to prevent damage.

A good hanger or stand becomes more of a challenge. You can purchase or make your own. I have found portable steel sawhorses work very well, the fold for transport, can be adjusted for sloping terrain and have proven very stable. I have used firehose and chain and there are advantages/disadvantages to each.
    This is one with firehose:
    [​IMG]
    Here shown with my wooden handgun range and steel hung with chain:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  17. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

TCH2FLY there is no way that garage should be that clean.