Metal shards in my barrel? Help

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by gearhead396, Apr 7, 2013.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Ok guys I need some help I went and **** about 500 round out of my mp5 22 I got home and cleaned it but the first few times are ran the cleaning rod through the barrel what looks like metal shards came out but they crumble easy so I'm not sure what to think is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to worry. Looks and sounds like lead shavings from the bullets.

3. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Awsome thank you for the fast response!

4. hmh

hmh New Member

I would still worry what is shaving the bullet.

5. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

I agree with the lead shavings but if you still have any doubts just run a magnet of the debris. I would tear the gun down to see where the shear is occurring. I own a dozen .22 firearms and have never seen that kind of debris in a barrel.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Whats is ur cleaning rod made of? Brass, steel, aluminum? It could be shavings from ur cleaning rod.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You could change ammo brand maybe thats all you need to do to solve the problem.

8. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

It's brass and the shavings are a silver color

9. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

The pieces are not magnetic so I guess that means its lead the shaving is looks like it occurred as it enters the chamber it shaves off the top of the bullet just hair not even enough to affect the bullet it seems im accurate with it and everything also i have 2000 round and no issues yet should I worry about it ?

10. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

Most types of stainless steel aluminum and brass all non magnetic. Lead too.. i have to agree with the others.. has to be something causing that.. i never seen anything like that on my. 22 either. What do the pieces look like? Shapes and size.. what kind of ammo?

11. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Cci 40 grain federal 36 grain and Winchester 40 grain give me a sec I'm pretty sure it happens ass the round feeds in to the chamber but the lead dosent come off until the round is fired give me a sec ill see if I can get a pic

12. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Ok I got some pics here is what's going on when the spent case is ejected it scrapes the top of the new round. The blow back of the round is enough to launch the case out and load a new one it had never jammed on me but cycling it by hand with out the force of the bullet it does jam here are pics it's never cause a problem. And my dad always says if it ain't broke don't fix it and it works fine. Should I do anything.

Attached Files:

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've seen it happen in other 22's. I would not worry about it. Listen to your dad!

14. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thanks again man I appreciate the advice

15. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

suggestion....
    next time you are at the range, shoot like normal and then eject a round that had been loaded at full speed once in a while. see if anything is scraped off of the round from the chamber. If you think the blow back is doing the scraping, then remove the mag-if possible- before ejecting the sample. I have a 22 in the shop because it did something similar and I didn't catch it in time.when I switched from LRN (Lead Round Nose)to brass washed rounds, the round was tougher than the extractor point of the chamber and a chunk broke away. just watch how it reacts and check your rounds every so often and you'll notice if there really is a problem.

Just my thoughts good luck

16. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thanks man I will try that