metal detectors

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gunnovice09, Apr 15, 2012.

1. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

I was thinking about getting into metal detecting and was wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with it.

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have a Bounty Hunter 505 and it works very well, but I haven't gotten rich yet :eek:
    These things do have a bit of a learning curve and after you have dug up several hundred pull tabs, pieces of foil,
    bottle caps and other metal debris you can get pretty good at discriminating junk from treasure!

3. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

I'm debating on buying a bounty hunter for 60 but idk anything bout them

4. Pasquanel

I have owned mine for 4 or five years and really like it.
    I was doing some coin shooting down at the beach with a guy who had an expensive White detector and doing better than he was
    He was not very happy about it.

5. Pasquanel

$60 ? What model is it?

6. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

There's much more metal in the ground than you'd think.

Rebar, cables, random-ass s***, etc. Try finding property corners, you'll be in for a treat.

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Always wanted a one.

I have a low end model., think I found it at a garage sale or something.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are. Out here alot of the rocks stick to a magnet so you need a detector that can ignore iron.

9. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Is the metal detector that I put the link for a piece of crape?

10. towboater

towboater Active Member

The cheap ones are fun to play around with. But they may also turn you off of medal detecting. Bout the same with everything. Ya get what ya pay for.
    I recommend a Whites. Ive had one for 3 years now. Aint got rich yet, but I dont take it out enough either. I have found several silver coins, the oldest being a 1836 Dime.

Here is a link to the Whites detector forum. Nice bunch of guys, that like to help new folks out.
    http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forum.php

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Thanks towboater I appreciate the help

12. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Well guys, I'm not bragging here, but with a good metal detector and the right places, you can more than pay for the hobby. I was into fishing big time and gone every weekend. The wife threatened divorce unless I stayed home more often. Long story short, I changed hobbies to metal detecting. In the five years I detected in old parks (100+ years old) in the St. Louis area (Forest Park, O'Fallon Park, Fairgrounds Park, etc. etc.) I found hundreds of seated, Barber, Morgans, Indians, etc. coins and loads of Sterling and gold rings. I spent countless hours detecting and getting good at "hearing" what the target might be. After about 5 years I was ready to retire to the country and decided to sell my finds on Ebay. I sold just the coins I had found M/D for over $15,000.00. I had plenty of rare dates and many in almost uncirculated condition. I had many metal detectors, but the best one and most accurate was my Minelab Explorer XS, equipped with a X-1 probe and Grey Ghost head phones. I still have allot of civil war relics I didn't sell. Wish I could get back into it but, my 60 yr. old knees can't over come gravity anymore. Good luck.

13. towboater

towboater Active Member

Dennis, What were some of you best finds? I'd sure like to hear some stories.

14. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Yes please I need motivations to get it lol

15. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Just ordered my metal detector!! Its nothing fancy but ive read a lot of good reviews on it and it was in my budget so I picked it. Cant wait to learn to do it and find some coins!

16. KllSwtch8473

KllSwtch8473 New Member

When i first read the title i was thinking a hand rader like at the airports. it made me think of the office and the "gaydar"