Merry Christmas to All

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PanBaccha, Dec 14, 2011.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

One thing that seems to bug me a bit. And that is around this time of the year
    we notice the difference between three holidays and call them respectively
    by their names:
    (e.g. Thanksgiving Day, New Years Day). But when it comes to CHRISTMAS
    we suddenly decide to say instead Happy Holidays! Rather than Merry Christmas.
    It appears the word Christmas is disappearing. Is this a political correct thing
    or what? As for me I unequivocally say to all who may hear
    :

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. woody63m

woody63m New Member

You don't want to "offend" people

I couldn't type that with a straight face

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I think part of the reason people say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" is so they do not accidentally instult someone who may not celebrate Christmas, and instead may celebrate Quanza (don't know if I spelled it right), Haunaka, may not be religious at all, or celebrates some other form of religious practice. I tend to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas if I do not know the person's religion, but if I do know they are Christian I do say Merry Christmas, and if they're Jewish I say Happy Haunaka.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

5. rugernut

rugernut New Member

The ether day we were driving down the road an seen a Christmas sine spelled chrismas

6. vincent

vincent New Member

...I'll just leave that one alone...:rolleyes:

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well i may be politically incorrect and i don't care. Merry Christmas to all! and i hope everyone has a safe holidays.:D

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

PAN

That is my take as well! I never want anyone to insult me by saying I am being politically correct. In fact it wants to make me Puke when people say quote "To Be Politically Correct I ???" It is and always will be Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in my book! But America was founded on Christian principles and would be a lot better off today if they were adhered to. I am not saying that is my business if they choose not to be a Christian or a church goer! Nothing wrong with that mind you! I am just saying to practice what the Good Book teaches for your fellow man is not a bad idea. Stop and think about it! No Pledge of the Elegance in Schools, a student can't pray, no corporal punishment in school (reasonable issued by a qualified person) Can't speak freely anymore without some thin skinned smuck complaining of being racist or violating his or her civil rights or what ever. Remember at this point about what I said about treating your fellow man! The inclination of not saying how you feel because of politically correctness. Lowes for example under the gun for retracting their support for a TV Show that was going to air! Where does it stop. Remember also the Obama administration was caught spying regular citizens personal e-mails. But yet have implemented such atrocities as Fast & Furious. Oh My!
    Bottom line it will be Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and if you do not like its "TUFF"! If someone feels different than I do that is fine I respect their views. But like those liberals and mamby pambys in our Nation do, they cry and cry and want to pass laws prohibiting us from our views. I am sure they would like to pass laws prohibiting you and I from using the words Merry Christmas because it might offend someone! B.S! Ain't happening! Just so they know it and for the record. Kind of like taking our second amendment rights from us! COME GET EM!

9. ltgoldfish

ltgoldfish New Member

Amen! Instead of being "politically correct" can't we be just CORRECT? I say call it what it is - MERRY CHRISTMAS (btw none of that "X"mas stuff) to all! Enjoy the family and be well this year and next.

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Bow...Humbug.........Everybody needs to get out of my store so the line isn't so long in the check-out lane.......HUMBUG.........Just-Kidding...Not-Really.......

11. freefall

freefall New Member

I can still not wrap my feeble brain around the fact that people in AMERICA us the term "politically correct". This is AMERICA damn it! We do not have to be "politically correct". That sounds like something you would be charged for in Stalin's Soviet Union.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I go by my religion. I'm Christian so I say Merry Christmas.

I've said MC to a Jew before. He said "I'm jewish" I says "ok, happy hanukkah then." He said thanks, and Merry Christmas to you.

My point is, mature adults should not get offended over such pettiness, they should discuss their differences before getting sue happy and trying to pass laws and such against other people.

Like prayer in school. If you don't like God, then sit down and shut up, don't restrict my religion because you don't like it, especially considering how I'm required to tolerate yours.

(rant not directed at any particular member)

13. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I agree 100%... people get very upset with me when I tell them I dont believe in God or Jesus. Do I think some sort of higher power exists? Yes I do..but I guess I will never know until my time is up. I just dont believe in any religions at all. But, ive never downed anyones beliefs or religions. My 8y/o son says his prayers every night before bed and before dinner. I NEVER told him that he was not allowed to do so. I NEVER taught him any religion as well. I figured when he is odd enough to decide which religion he wants to follow, its his choice and I will back him up 100%. I will never force any of my beliefs upon anyone and i only expect that same respect in return. I do however use the phrase "merry Christmas". It does not offend me in any sense.

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Merry Christmas is said here and appreciated here where I live.

15. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

One reason I tend to say Happy Holidays is, because I know quite a few people who are not Christian and prefer others to acknowledge their religious beliefs by saying Happy Holidays. Another reason I say Happy Holidays to folks I do not know or atleast do not know their religion is I like to acknowledge all religious views, because I have grown up with, and still endure, a lot of flak since I follow a religion that is commonly misunderstood and frowned on.

16. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

One of my friends who is an Indian/Hindu, although very religious, doesnt really care that i say Merry Christmas to her, she says thanks and said Merry Christmas to you too. I showed her this thread, she said, it really doesn't matter because "for me Christmas is a holiday that bring all people together, so i like saying Merry Christmas, unless i know the person doesn't like it"

I agree with Trip286...adults shouldn't be so worried over such petty issues and instead just enjoy it :)

But as for me i say Merry Christmas :)

17. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I say Merry Christmas. If someone wants to say Happy Kwanza or Huanika to me, great. It's their holiday and they are welcome to include me in it.

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive always said merry christmas...i had a buddy in school whose family didnt celebrate christmas, im not sure of thier religion. For christmas parties at school he would be somewhere else and never raised any hell about his or everyone elses beliefs, he was a pretty cool guy and very laid back about it.

19. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Christmas is Christmas. If you're wishing someone a greeting for that day, you wouldn't say Happy Halloween. It doesn't matter if you believe in it or don't believe in it. If your talking about Christmas, that's exactly what it is Christmas.

So..Merry Christmas!

20. steve666

steve666 New Member

I tend to say Merry Ho Ho, simply because it quit being about Christ years ago and became all about Santa, gifts, and selling!