mercury filled hollow points?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sbitter, Mar 28, 2012.

1. sbitter

sbitter New Member

My dad was talkin about one of his favorite books he used to read as a kid and said In the book the guy drilled his own hollow points and filled them with mercury then sealed the tip with wax. and it apparently makes the bullets expand and release a lot more of its energy. Is this for real or anyone kbow anything about that?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I dont know about making it expand but I did see it in a movie. I know that if the initial gun shot dose not kill you the mercury will later on.

3. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I saw it in a movie when I was slot younger, the only thing I can say is....... Leave this idea alone, two ways to die, one of which is mercury poisoning.

4. sbitter

sbitter New Member

don't worry I'm not touching mercury any time soon. Nor would I fire anything like that through my guns

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

it doesnt do anything like that.

(actually tried it when i was a lot younger and a lot dumber never fired them) the mercury does funky things with lead. mercury will pop out the wax cap since there is nothing in bullet construction that wax will hold onto

couple of issues:

boring out the bullet will make it likely to disintegrate on leaving the gun or fly waaaay off course and impact drastical in the wrong spot.

to be dangerous mercury has to be ingested or skin exposure for a long time. its just a heavy metal like lead. it takes years if not decades for the slightest hint of mercury poisoning to show up from much larger ammounts than what any typical bullet could hold.

carrying poisoned bullets for self defense will land you in prison in any of the 50 (51 states if your ivy league educated) states.

mercury bullets will make a bullet perform worse than just carrying normal HP self defense rounds. there are youtube vids of people testing such things in ballistic gel if you care to hunt them up.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

It is possible that one could inhale mercury vapor from fired rounds

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The book was "Day of the Jackal". A professional assassin was trying to take out the President of France, Charles DeGaulle. The stated theory was that the heavy mercury, upon rapid decelleration, would slam forward, blowing the bullet apart.

Total pure fantasy. The author confused mercury, a heavy toxic metal, with fulminate of mercury- a REALLY touchy explosive that USED to be used to make primers, blasting caps, etc.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Mercury was used for years to remove lead from gun barrels. Everyone used Mercury to clean guns back in the day. Yes many ended up with health problems.:(

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Damn after that last post I am getting to Hell out of here.:eek:

[​IMG]

10. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I've heard of people filling JHP with gun powder and sealing it with a primer. I think that be a bit more effective than mercury tipped rounds (although a bit more dangerous).

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Those were marketed under brand name X-Ploder. Matter of fact, Reagan was shot with the .22 version.

They functioned sometimes. Depended on angle of impact, how hard surface was they hit.

The 50 BMG Raufoss works better

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

May be a bit off topic but back in the day they used to make hollow round balls and take a piece of cotton and swab it in a rotting corpse and stuff it into the ball.
    Combination of fragmenting lead and the swab meant certain death.

13. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Could just fill it with an impact based explosive like C4. That make a mess.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I wonder if a primer and some thermite would work. Nasty

15. Kenney

Kenney New Member

No, you need magnesium just to get thermite just to ignite. I'd try sealed white phosphorus before that.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ahh well minor added step. Magnesium fires starter shavings,primer,thermite

17. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Yeah, but you have to consider the amount of time it would take for the reaction to take place. White phosphorus is extremely unstable and ignites on contact with air. And burns as at about the same as thermite.

18. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

The nomenclature escapes me but isn't the whole idea behind mercury in a projectile basically like hydraulics? It can't be compressed so when it impacts at high speed the effect would seem to be explosive. Wouldn't h20 have the same outcome?

19. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Well water might cause of the same expansion their but it might also evaporate instantly because of the immense heat. And mercury is poisonis so that might help finish off the target too. Idk just putting in my thoughts

20. Viking

Viking Active Member

Me too, that sort of twisted my brains cells, at least what's left of them after trying to read that. Whew!