Mentally ill man tried to break into my home this morning, police saved his life.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Wiebelhaus, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

A guy tried to break in my front door uninvited and I almost had to shoot him (Gun drawn yelling commands to GTFO now!) while on the phone with the police they looked for 45 minutes and then the guy pops up in the back yard, second time he almost got shot but the BPD were able to get him that time. Police were quick and professional and honestly saved a guys life, I have three children and a elderly relative here, no one is going to invade this space without serious repercussions.

My head is splitting in half though from the blood pressure spike I guess. Honestly I'm glad he's ok as well, that would be the worst day to have to do that to someone but no one is coming across our door seal uninvited, that's my proverbial line in the sand. He was large 300+ pounds about 45ish, Hispanic with long greasy hair, the impression from police was that this wasn't a new thing, it's sad.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

On the pro side; I am glad the police were able to get there in time. On the con side; he will probably get released and do it again.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

The police took him away. They did not save him. You did.
    Practice gives you confidence in your ability and equipment.
    Though not always the case, you were able to give the situation in your control time to end bloodless.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Sounds like an easy target to hit; i'm glad you didn't have to.

5. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

A frighting experience its good that everything turned out OK. PS Shooting him in the back garden might not have being a good idea.

6. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

Glad everything turned out alright and you didn't have to shoot him. You did good!

7. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Yes Sir, even as I was waking up, normally being the hardest person to wake up being groggy for at least 30 minutes, it's nice thinking back and realizing after hitting HIGH EFFING RED ALERT on the Cooper scale, that there was no fogginess, no possibility (in this instance) I would have made a mistake, I had complete and total cold calm control over my cognitive mind and body, a stone cold focus and I had drawn my line in the sand and it was a very definitive line about what was about to happen if this threat did not heed my warning. In other words I was pleased with myself that was I was able to handle the situation exactly as I had been taught, no fumbling, no bumbling foolishness and no confusion.

But man after the adrenalin and blood pressure went down, did I have a horrible splitting headache.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

My oldest daughter whose 14 did everything I had told her before she took the two small children into the back bedroom and shut the door and started to move the bed in front of it, my wife was at work and the poor kid was scared because of all the commotion but she did very well, I'm proud of her.

9. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

That's part of the bigger issue with mental illness, the way we treat our mentally ill, leave them to the family or police to deal with but I'm not sure what the solution is to be honest, I don't think yet another federal program would do any good, it's horribly sad though.

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Glad it worked out okay.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You demonstrated amazing restraint. Good example of a responsible gun owner.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good Job OP!

You protected yours and did it with restraint.

Makes me proud to be a member alongside fellow FTF guys like you.

Tack

13. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Thanks Tack & McCool, even though you guys are my "Internet friends" it means allot.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Restraint? No conflict, no face-to-face confrontation, no physical altercation, no moment of decision, no alternative choices, no imminent threat, nowhere a rational person would be in fear of their life to use deadly force, no police intercedence... Where's the restraint!? The OP says "the line" he drew was never crossed!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzWyOaS8kU[/ame]

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just wait till obamacare really kicks in and several million mentally ill are turned outof care centers because obamacare shuts down tens of thousands of private run facilities...

None of whom will be on meds because the families cant subsidize it anymore thanks to universal healthcare

You aint seen nuttin yet

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

We are still dealing with the fall out from the closure of the State hospitals. They kicked all the patients out and locked the doors. You can see the former patients under bridges and overpasses all across America. The ones still locked up are either criminally insane or have not responded to meds.

17. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

It's a really sad situation but I just don't have the capacity nor the ability, resources to help, it's horrible.

18. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

This is relevant: "Our county jail has become a dumping ground for the mentally ill" [ame]http://youtu.be/GXmd0hwlEx8[/ame]

19. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Good thing for everyone you were home.

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

You done good Wiebelhaus, A++, a textbook action, reaction that should be a study for Libs to ponder. They would be completely disarmed by it!

After-all, you really did not respond like the Anti's assure everyone we will cause the guys still breathing!

1-Secure the Children, Check
    2-Arm yourself and prepare for a possible home invasion, check
    3-Call 911, Check
    4-Stay alert but let the police do their job, Check
    5-You, your kids and the Guy get to live because you acted responsibly and rationally, Check

Sadly, the next list of things is assured-
    1-Guy got booked for the 10th time this year, Check
    2-They will dry him out and send him to a mental or rehab with a pocketful of mind altering drugs, Check
    3-<30 days later, he will be back on the street and will stop taking those meds, Check
    4-He will be banging on someone elses door soon, hope he don't decide to carry a 5 gallon can of gas with him next time.
    5-guarenteed he will either hurt someone or be killed while attempting to hurt someone, Check

You did the right thing, you can rest well knowing your a solid protector and a great citizen. I just hope the folks tasked with trying to stop him from doing it again show half as much sense and compassion as you so he doesnt get another crack at someones kids!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.