Mentally Ill Gun Owners

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Sniper03, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home.
    The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.
    By Southern California standards, someone owning 100,000 rounds is considered "mentally unstable.”

BUT…
    In Michigan, he'd be called "the last white guy still living in Detroit.”
    In Arizona, he'd be called "an avid gun collector.”
    In Arkansas, he'd be called "a novice gun collector.”
    In Utah, he'd be called "moderately well prepared," but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.”
    In Kansas, he'd be "A guy down the road you would want to have for a friend.”
    In Montana, he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy.”
    In Idaho, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate.”
    In Georgia, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor.”
    In North Carolina, Virginia, WV, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina and Minnesota he would be called "a deer hunting buddy.”
    GUNS GUNS GUNS.png AND OF COURSE
    In Texas he'd just be "Bubba; who's a little short on Ammo."

AZdave, Psalm18:32, alsaqr and 14 others like this.
  2. yazul42

yazul42 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

With millions of legal firearms owners with ample quantities of ammunition in the U.S. , including yours truly, if there was a problem with our collective mental stability, everyone would know it, not just our friendly politicos in California.

dango, c3shooter, Sniper03 and 4 others like this.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

In most of KY he would likely be a shoo in for public office. Lol

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in PA, he'd be the buddy you know with a better range than the commercial and public ranges in that area.

dango and towboater like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE HERE ON THE FTF?
    By COMMIEFORNIA STANDARDS!~We OBVIOUSLY! have a lot of folks with some serious issues here! :p

AZdave, dango, towboater and 3 others like this.
  6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

In Ohio, he would be rural folk, not one of the city dwellers.

AZdave and kfox75 like this.
  7. headspace

headspace Active Member

In this part of Idaho, he'd also be called "well off.":D

AZdave, Sniper03 and kfox75 like this.
  8. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

100K of ammo...... is that for each weapon, huh? :D

AZdave, locutus, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Incomplete information.

Well, was the guy nutts or not; how bout the rest of the story.

Is it the general consensus that owning a lot of guns and ammo proof that a man is not insane?

I think I have a lot of guns and ammo, and I also believe that I am reasonably sane at this time. (Locotus may disagree) There has been recent indications that some people who are crazy as hell also own many guns and shoot them at random people.

Is it more likely that the two issues, gun/sanity, are not necessarily related?

Psalm18:32 and locutus like this.
  10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Not related at all.

Psalm18:32 likes this.
  11. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

In fact, having lots of guns and having lots of sanity are entirely unrelated. Any given person could be either, both or neither.

But the point is that California is deciding to put this person through a psych observation BECAUSE he has a lot of guns. And I'm pretty sure that 100 guns is not that big a collection compared to several on here.

https://2ndamendmentright.org/2011/...-psychiatric-observation-for-owning-100-guns/

kfox75 and locutus like this.
  12. towboater

I collect old coins. I have many, and wonder if maybe this means I have mental problems and should be prohibited from having too many. But how many is too many. And is it a completely different story if there is a large assortment, such as halves, dollars, dimes and half cents.

alsaqr, buckhuntr and TimKS like this.
  13. towboater

I am thinking that if a person only collects half dollars, that they may have mental problems. But if they only collect half dollars that were minted in San Francisco, they darn sure have mental problems and should be evaluated.

14. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

In Florida, they'd call him, and tell him he's RUNNING OUT OF AMMO...

15. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I went to the linked story. It appears to have originated in a "gun rights" forum. I saw no links to verify the story and no sources for the story. I have no way to judge whether this was pulled out of someone's imagination, if it was an incomplete story, or if it was the gospel truth as presented.

This is the kind of "news" that appears out of nowhere, and is repeated over and over, by the "true believers," and then the fact that it has been repeated so often is presented as evidence that the story is true as written. Mr. Goebbels would be proud.

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You forgot Bama!!!! You would be everyone's best friend!!!:cool:

Psalm18:32 likes this.
  18. oldfoneguy

oldfoneguy Member

When questioned about how much ammo I keep I often respond with this question,
    how many rolls of toilet paper do you have in the house? Do you buy them one at a time or in bulk? When you find a good sale on something you use a lot of do you stock up? So why would it be strange or unusual to have ammo in bulk?
    I've received every response from the confused puppy tilted head look to liberal rants of how it's not the same thing but it has always left them thinking if even slightly how it may not be crazy after all. - Bill

RJF22553 and JimRau like this.
  19. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Strange, the topic of how much ammo I keep at home never, ever, came up in
    a discussion, anywhere. Is some mental health professional, somewhere, perhaps
    worried you are
    going to topple a stack of ammo onto somebody, and crush them?

Seems like most nut jobs and criminals do their worst damage with 100 rounds or less,
    so it seems to me a large ammo cache would be an indicator of sound mental
    health. Maybe the ones that need seeking out are the folks with 1 gun, and
    one box of bullets...

headspace likes this.
  20. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

In Florida he would be thought of as a Native Floridian, not one of those NE Immigrants.

RJF22553 likes this.