Mental Illness

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Stillersfan, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Let’s face it; we live in a society that is filled with individuals that have mental illness issues. Mental illness cannot always be clearly differentiated from normal behavior. Distinguishing normal bereavement from depression, for example, may be difficult in the face of a significant loss, such as the death of a spouse or child. Likewise, a diagnosis of anxiety disorder in relation to a person's worry and stress regarding work is somewhat arbitrary, because most people experience these feelings at some time. The line between a person's having certain personality traits and having a personality disorder can be blurry. Mental illness and mental health, therefore, are best thought of as a continuum. Any dividing line is usually based on how long symptoms last, how much people change from their usual self, and how severely symptoms affect their life. With that being said, are these individuals truly getting the correct help that is required? Can the medical profession do more to keep individuals from doing harm to themselves or to someone else? Something has to change and it’s NOT by making more bureaucratic laws governing gun control. What are your thoughts?

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

What infuriates me, is that in every shooting like this, it's 'blame the gun'. This mentality takes away from real solutions.

If the Brady gun wackos would step forward and say 'look, guns are here... We know that. Our policy is to reduce gun violence, and ensure there are no more dead children, we want to work with gun owners and the NRA alike, to find real solutions.'....
    Then you'd see REAL progress made. Instead, the families haven't even mourned yet, and everyone is buying guns, and gearing up for legal battles.

If after every car crash, we blamed cars and fought to ban them, we wouldn't have dedicated our energies to seatbelts, air bags, safe driving campaigns. (****.... We have cops everywhere who's job is to enforce speeding laws).

If after 9/11 we blamed box cutters, we wouldn't have sought real solution like enforcing cockpit doors and increasing security.

If we blamed the booze, or the bats after every domestic assault, we wouldn't have spent time seeking prevention, and women's shelters.

If every person who died from obesity and we blamed the food, we wouldn't be seeking healthier lifestyles and healthy food choices.

Blaming something that is here, and isn't going away, takes away from the real questions and real solutions.

Should gun safes be a tax write off for tax payers?

How can we improve mental health and teach people the warning signs?

Should schools invest in more security? Like security guards, classes that lock from the inside and can't be broken into.

Should armed CCW teachers be allowed to carry?

Should schools practice realistic lock up drills, like fire drills?

Should gun free zones be banned, or should there be security required at every gfz?

THESE are REAL questions with REAL solutions...
    But no, we blame the gun, so we get feel good laws that politicians can point to and say 'vote for me, look what I did.' While offering BS, like no bayonets on rifles, no flash hiders, and magazine restrictions... All which do NOTHING to prevent this.

On a side note, I'm beginning to believe these guns and high capacity magazines save lives because they tend to keep jamming.

You really think some guy won't just walk in with a pump shotgun and 6 revolvers next time???

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

On a side note... My school is very pro gun. Students have guns openly in their cars and nothing is said about it (which makes me feel safer, we always joked, no ones going to shoot up our school, you'd have 30 people running to their cars to get their guns).
    You can store your guns on campus in a lock box and retrieve them when you want.
    I checked in my FAL, no questions asked...

But when Virginia Tech happened, did our school go anti gun?... No they installed biometric scanners on all the main doors, which lock automatically, and increased roving patrols by security.

4. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

All true my friend. Unfortunately the government doesn't care what we think. Crime will double once they restrict us. Hopefully the NRA will have the balls to step in and say something. As of yet, I have not heard that voice.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Bigger question: Who do YOU trust to evaluate YOUR mental health/fitness to own or carry a firearm? Do you trust the soon-to-be completely nationalized/socialized medical industry? Do you trust the federal, state, county (parish), and/or city governments that have run this country into the freakin ground? Your mommy? Who?

The governments exist for the purpose of exerting control over those they govern. Doctors may not have all the same priorities as you, especially when they are all solidly government employees. Objective judgement is not the governments' forte.

Mom, well if i am crazy, who do you think i got it from?

If I catch MYSELF slipping mentally, then I will give up MY guns to my nephews.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mosin,

Great comments! That is the way it was when we were in school. The guys use to take their shotguns and rifles to school in our cars. We would go hunting or shooting when we got out of school on some evenings. Nothing was said. We also would not have tolerated some little mentally sick individuals making threats against our teachers of fellow students. We had discipline in the schools and were more worried about what would happen at home if we messed up at schools. Same with the police. If we got in trouble dad would always tell me, the police are the least of your problems. We believed in God (or for some the creator) and that also brought accountability and expected conduct. Other than military service or law enforcement protecting the innocent :Tho Shall Not Kill speaking of individuals were in order. We believed in prayer as I still do. We were not allowed to go to the theater and watch anything rated above our age limit. I guess I could sum it up by saying we did not participate in anything we should not or were not allowed to. We respected our elders, parents and friends. Regarding the above dad always use to see the reason that you are not allowed to do or participate in certain things is. When you deal with a persons soul and mind! If you put trash in you get trash out! Makes sense to me even today. Still thankful to have my dad at 87 and he is still the family leader and respected as he was in the past. Maybe if some families would practice a little of this we would be living in a better world today. And our Second Amendment Rights would not be attacked as they presently are. I closing God Bless those families and victims of the shooting incident. None of us will ever be the same as in the days preceding this senseless act.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

We have decided, as a nation, that we can't afford to treat mental illness. "State Hospitals" for the "insane" went out of fashion. There used to be a huge facility 10 miles from my home, it now only treats criminals. It will probably be discoverd that the recent monster had diagnoised, but untreated mental illness. $50.00 a month in meds or a long-term bed in a mental hospital may have prevented the recent crisis.

You reap what you sow

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah. A .50 cent bullet would've solved it too.

Gun free zones and all.... You reap what you sow.

9. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

In Utah, it's legal to conceal carry in a school with a permit. Unfortunately the school I'm going to doesn't allow guns on campus, that means in student housing as well. :(

10. orangello

orangello New Member

%^^^ Maybe a speargun would help you sleep better girl? Maybe something powered by compressed air?

11. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

We cannot try to stop the mentally ill from obtaining guns. Those that aren't looked after well enough, and do these crazy things will get the gun to do it. Legally or illegally they will get the gun. I think many view this from the wrong angle. The question is not "How can we stop the mentally ill from obtaining firearms?". The question is "How can we better protect ourselves when these situations happen in the future?".

These school shootings will always occur. These things aren't new, and they only seem more frequent because they get more attention now. We cannot stop anyone from obtaining a gun, but we can choose to protect ourselves from those who will use it nefariously.

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I can stop a mentally ill shooter...

Can you?

Can your gun free zones?

Can your assault weapons bans?

I can....

13. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

The medical profession is failing and we are all sitting ducks...

14. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Sometimes rules are made to be broken.. ;) If you need your firearm for protection and no one sees it..... Is it still there?? :D

15. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Although this is true, I firmly believe guns should be locked up if they're not on you or in your sight. There is no one in my house that I wouldn't trust with a gun, we all learned, at a very young age, gun safety and how to handle a gun. There are no little children in my house and no one I would consider unstable, but I lock up my guns, the last thing I want is to come home and find someone in my house who I've basically armed...
    As far as anyone else is concerned, no.