Memorable Sports Moments:

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Too much drama going on right now. I prefer to divert some energy talking about amazing things you saw on TV or in person in the sporting arena.

Presumably we all had some interest in "organized" sports growing up. I know most of us played one, two or 6 sports, but no doubt you watched some as well. Maybe went to games, or sat glued to the TV on the weekends with family or friends.

What are some of your most memorable moments from those by gone days? Find video links if you can so others can enjoy in your memories.

I remember watching the video over and over again ( though I can't find it now ) of a guy by the name of Chuck Cecil in 1993 that hit ( I Believe ) Art Monk so hard it knocked him down, out and out of the game, earning him a HUGE fine and an S.I. cover of "Too Dangerous for the NFL".

I watched, on Monday night football, Bo Jackson put a clinic on the Seattle Seahawks in the Kingdome. He ran for something like 221 yards in that game. Scored two or three times, with one run being over the top of Seattle's "multi million dollar" linebacker Brian Bosworth. I became the biggest Bo Jackson after that night. I had liked him before, being a two sport stud and all, but after that performance I was amazed...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9RimiG58fk]YouTube - Bo Jackson vs. Seahawks[/ame]

What are some of the things you remember?? This should be a good one.

Thumbs down to whoever is the first to post Thiesman's leg getting broke by LT. That was NASTY. :eek:

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Good call. One of my favorites:
    [​IMG]

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Grew up a Vikings fan and one of my heroes was Joe Kapp. The guy couldn't throw a spiral if you had a gun to his head - but he knew how to win. A very memorable moment for me was the Vikes were playing the Browns in the NFC title game. The Vikes were on about the 10 yard line and Joe dropped back to pass but got chased out of the pocket. He started to sweep to the right and the Browns safety was set in position in front of him. Old Joe tried to hurdle him, but caught the guy on the chin with his knee. Kapp stumbled into the end zone and the Browns safety was still knocked out cold.

Honorable mention for every game I attended while my daughter was going to Florida State. Amazing place to watch a football game and amazing scenery as well. She attended from 1996-2000 so I got to see a lot of future legends play football...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:confused::confused:

Need some intel please....

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Robert Horry! Now there is a name I haven't heard in forever. Man. That guy made a living out of hitting those last second shots. I don't know how many times I watched him do that with Houston, with Phoenix and than with the Lakers. :mad:

I can remember screaming at my TV for someone to cover him back in the day.... LOL

Him and Jeff Hornachek for the Jazz. That guy could be falling out of bounds, be half blind in one eye, have one foot in the popcorn cart, with :02 on the buzzer and still nail a three to end the period or the game. God I hated that little effer too....

Good times... LOL

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

Feb. 22, 1980. Miracle on Ice....USA beat USSR for Gold

Attached Files:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Curt Schilling for the Red Sox in World Series after having had ankle surgery.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Ah! Another great one, but if you remember, they didn't win the gold for beating Russia. They still had to win the following day against Finland, and they were 2-1 after one or two periods I think. I remember feeling like the world was going to collapse after the joy of beating the Russians and than to be losing to Finland.... But they came back and did it.

Another great memory!

11. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Seattle Mariners in 2001.

12. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

"The Double"

I still get chills when I hear that call.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8yrc7xUss]YouTube - 1995 ALDS Game 5[/ame]

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

R.I.P. Dave Niehaus!! :(

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The best scrambling quarterback of all time, Fran Tarkenton. He was way ahead of his time. It was after a 21 or 24 second scramble that I couldn't help but become a fan.
    Michael Vick wouldn't make a pimple on his azz.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDmeTo-8aoI]YouTube - Top 10 Scramblers of alltime - Fran Tarkenton[/ame]

15. DrJason

DrJason New Member

1st one I could think of was during my 1st year in dental school at UConn when we won the NCAA by 3 points over the favored Duke.(didn't hurt that I also won the bracket pool with all my fellow students)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPxlP8W6tM]YouTube - End of 1999 Final 4 UConn 77 Duke 74[/ame]

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

While I don't care for UConn, any day Duke loses, especially a big game, is a great day for basketball. :D

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And speaking of basketball, how can you not marvel at the athleticism of this man:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8M2NgjvicA]YouTube - Top 10 All Time Michael Jordan Dunks[/ame]

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And because I firmly believe that you can't have The One without his cohort in disaster:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_--VPPY4lA]YouTube - Scottie Pippen's Top 10 All-Time Dunks[/ame]

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My apologies gents, greatest scrambling QB isn't exactly a great sports moment. :eek:

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What are you talking about? Tark was the man back in the day. He was the evolution of quarterbacks today, I thought that highlight reel was well worthy of the thread.