Melonited gad tube vs Nitromet Gas Tube

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PittTactical556, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PittTactical556

PittTactical556 New Member

Hello, I currently own a Spikes Tactical ST15 Carbine and wanted to covert it into a midlength. I was going to replace the current gas tube with the Spikes Tactical MELONITED Midlength gas tube however it is out of stock. I found the WMD Nitromet gas tube and really just want to know the differences, pros/cons and what you would recommend. Also, I plan on moving the FSB forward and putting on a new mor handguard. Thank you.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You're going to fill in the carbine gas port and drill another 2" toward the muzzle? If so this could turn ugly fast.

Or are you buying a midlength barrel?

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As far as the gas tube itself, regular stainless does just fine.

4. PittTactical556

I know, after more research I relized that and never though about it, don't know why lol. Going to buy a GEN 2Extend Carbine Free Float drop in Handguard from Midwest industries.

Attached Files:

5. PittTactical556

I have a Spikes AR so I have a MELONITE gas tube and the two I mentioned are the same apparently, it's been an off day. I like the dark gas tube to be honest. Now I need to get a BCM gunfighter charging Handel, Magpul BAD lever, and Magpul AFG

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This is a much better choice if your just looking for a easy way to put on a longer hand guard . I went the route of cutting down the factory FSB and making it a low profile gas block and went with a free float 15" hand guard on a 16" barrel .
    One more thing , just be careful what you install on the hand guard that requires accuracy , if its just a flash light its fine but they do tend to shift if hit or bounced off of something .

I would not try to close the carbine length gas port hole and drill a new hole for mid length , I think your honestly looking for a disaster to happen.