Melonite vs. Chrome lining?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15noob, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

So what are your opinions on which is better ? I am leaving the question a little open ended and somewhat vague as I am interested to see where the comments go. I am at a crossroads and want as many a varied response as possible. Thanks.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Melonite is an exterior finish. Chrome lining the bore reduces corrosion. I know of no melonite lined barrels. I'm not sure it would be very beneficial.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

LWRC and S&W both do FNC ferritic nitrocarburizing (aka Melonite and Tennifer) on their AR barrels. I think AR15performance does too.

On paper fnc looks better, but chrome been around a lot longer and has proven itself. Glock has really good track record and with their legendary Tennifer finish. But rifles have a lot higher velocities and pressures than pistols. It remains to be seen which is better.

Honestly how many rounds are you planning to shot in a year? I'm guessing either will serve you fine durability wise. I'm prolly gonna venture that either will probably outshoot you. What I'm getting at iseither way with either choice you can't lose.......

4. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Personal opinion?

I HATE being a guinea pig. Let the other high speed low drag guys be the test dummies, I want to have a rifle, or anything for that matter, that I KNOW I can rely on. Simple as that.

Chrome lining has proven itself, and I trust it for my rifles.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

For the folks that think s&w has something new . Here's a bit of reading for the pessimist- http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...face-treatment-for-barrels-bolts-and-actions/ Runs some search's and even on the ar15 site guys are finally realizing that melonite can be a better product qas many of the top ar companies are now useing it in there rifles.

Bit when cars first came out guys that rode horse's said cars would never be better than a horse too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes in theory its looks nicer. My only reservations will take samples in the thousands to fully test. How must FNC stand up to overheating? How long will it last (compared to chrome)? Questions like these can only be answered when you take samples from a huge pool of thousands of barrels, with 10s of thousands of rounds each, and I don't have these resources, and many companies don't either.

Now don't get me wrong, I applaud new techniques and technologies, I like what I see. But only time will tell if its better than chrome durability wise. It does edge out chrome in the accuracy potential department.

7. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Thanks for the inputs so far. Glad to see the debate rages on. For me, I think I will be doing about 2000-3000 rounds per year. Depends on how much free time I get away from my business. The sad thing is my local gun shop and range people are not the nicest so if I want to "enjoy" myself, I will need to travel and that will cut down on how many trips I can make.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I hear you man! I live in LA, and its not the friendliest state. I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to a range that allows rifles, or drive 2+ hours to get to open BLM land to shoot. Local ranges only allow pistol, shotgun, and .22lr shooting.

With your rate of fire, I think a chrome lined barrel will last you over 10 years! Plenty imho.

9. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Thanks and agree if I could get 10 or so years out of it I would consider it money well spent.....of course if I "REALLY" enjoy myself I would be building more and purchasing additional AR's anyway.....let the games begin!

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Chrome.

The military continuously tests new products, and they're still using chrome.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

maybe these guys know a bit more about it. -http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=melonite+coated+barrels&submit=Search

Agenttikki Guess you will have to look it up to read it. It ain't new, and used by more than most realize. Just new to people that don't look out side the box.

Moly ,and R5 barrels 2 and 3 grove barrel where witchs brew too, once.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  12. JonM

JonM Moderator

That doesnt mean its superior it just means it is cost effective for them to do so.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

jonm Or like so many times it all they care to deal with.

locutus The military is still fly'n 50 year old aircraft and rifles that many would like to see replaced along with the 9mm sidearm.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Glock first started making pistols with thatTennfier FNC finish in what...1988? I'm sure FNC is even older than that.

I haven't seen any in-depth or even casual torture testing on FNC rifles. Admittedly, I haven't been looking. I'd be curious as to how long the finish lasts when compared to chrome slow fire, and sustained rapid fire, and how it holds up to heat stress tests will the surface crack under hot n heavy sustained fire. Do you have any sources addressing these issues?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  15. locutus

The people who actually use the rifles and 9MM sidearms are pretty well satisfied with them.

I know a lot of Jeff Cooper type dinosaurs would like to go back to ancient weapons and calibers, but they're a small minority.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A lot of "Jeff Cooper dinosaurs" know more than you give them credit for. Stupid thing for you to say, show some respect. Nothing wrong with using today's polymer and still mixing in the 1911.

17. locutus

Quentin,

Nothing wrong with the 1911. I've owned half dozen or so. Still have one. A Clark built bullesye target gun.

But there's no way in hell I'll ever show any respect for Jeffie Cooper, because I don't have any. IMHO, the man wasn't just a dinosaur, but a racist, sexist and arrogant bigot as well.

18. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Well, your comment pretty much reads like 'anyone who gets the senior citizen discount, or is close to it, is a POS and not worth heeding in any way, shape, or foirm'.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

agenttikki I guess if you want more info you could hunt it up too.

20. locutus

One nice thing about the First Amendment Ben, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.:p
    And BTW, I do get the senior discount. I'm 68 years old.