Meeting with CT state rep

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ctshooter, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

So I am heading off to meet with a state rep from CT in a little bit. Any questions or statements any one wants asked??

And please no the next civil war type things please. I am not going there to get in an argument.

2. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Yes. Pleas ask if he thinks criminalizing law abiding gun owners by the media and by anti gun legislators along with imposing new and more stringent gun laws that only law abiding citizens will follow will inherently lower the percentage of violent crimes in America.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Ask him if he trusts the people who elected him (politely).

Good luck in your meeting.

4. Chubbyhawaiian

Chubbyhawaiian New Member

How did this go? I read some thing on a proposed new ban that would only allow for single shot firearms in ct. Is this true?

5. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

It went really well. I thought he was going to already have his mind made up on things, but he was really listening to what I was saying. I didn't engage him in a debate, I didn't point fingers or pull an Alex jones!!! I asked what he and the legislators are thinking? And yes unfortunately at the state level at least there is a magazine capacity coming. I had said to him I figured as much, but suggested they only apply the mag ban to rifles.

Mental health was also part of the discussion. I had also told him that mandatory gun safes should also be looked at (ct has a useless trigger lock law)

All in all I would say it was a positive meeting. He wasn't trying to push his agenda, nor was I pushing mine, but rather an actual conversation.

Yes he is a dem. but not a far left dem. more to the center.

6. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Oh and the single shot thing is crap. They were discussing no semi, but most of the legislators know it won't go anywhere.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would hope you reminded him banning things doesnt stop nuts from killing people. the two largest incidents of mass murder in the united states happened with products a 4 year old can buy. box cutters fertilizer and diesel fuel...

in oklahoma a crazy guy with a rental van, fertilizer and diesel fuel
    in 2011 a bunch of crazy people boarded several jetliners and used box cutters to destroy part of the pentagon and the world trade center in new york.

banning civilian ownership of firearms will never stop lunatics from committing outrageous acts of mass murder. disarming the civilian populace only makes it easier for lunatics to murder extremely large numbers of people.

what law would have stopped lanza from going into that school and murdering people with an axe or a machette or a club or a chainsaw?? none. he was going to murder people no matter what. you can only stop evil by meeting it with overwhelming firepower

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I think you'd make a fine politician. You suggested they ban high capacity mags just for rifles? You must be kidding. So you only care about handguns and those who own rifles be damned? You'd make a great adviser for the lefties. Sorry for coming down on you, but I'm glad you're only speaking for yourself. That politician must have walked out of that meeting giggling like a little girl if there were many there with your mindset. You also want mandatory gun safes? It's easy to see why we're in trouble. Nice going!

9. beltor

beltor New Member

I can see where asking for the mag ban to only be on the rifle. He told you that it was going to happen no matter what, so you gave an alternative that he may not have thout about. Yes I have a rifle, so I am throwing myself under the buss.

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

I am not a leftie, nor am I a politician!! The way I see it there is nothing we can do to stop the high cap mag ban from happening, and if I have the choice of 10 round mags across the board or just my rifles then hell yes I want to keep the high cap mags for pistols rather than nothing.

There is no winning this fight for us. They have all the cards and the chips. Even if they only get one thing changed they win. They have nothing to loose. So isn't a little compromise better than nothing??

11. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

An what us wrong with safes? I don't see how that hurts gun owners in any way!

12. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

He is well aware that no law is going to stop things from happening, just like you and I know if stuff is going to happen then it is going to happen. This was a one on one meeting just so I could find out for sure what they are talking about in this state. I'm tired of the rumors, and speculation.

13. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

What's wrong with safes? Will you supply those on public assistance one for free with taxpayers money? I'm sure you feel like I do that the poor have a right to own firearms as well, right? I own Browning safes and would recommend them, though they're a bit pricey. Where does it end?

You may also like the idea of one of those smart guns that have to recognize the individual in order for it to work. They really do exist. What other freedoms are you willing to give up and is there something you want in return? Would you have been happy if someone told your politician to ban HC mags in handguns, but leave the rifles alone?

It's great we can express our opinions on this forum and we are entitled to our beliefs. What I've experienced in my life is what helps to form my opinions as do your experiences influence your opinions. There's no point in me saying anymore. I wish you the best..

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

No...a little compromise is not alright. I expect solutions that actually have a chance of stoping the next shooter.

Gun owners need to be pushing an end to Gun Free Zones and Concealed Carry everywhere.

Oh...and it's only "compromise" if the other side gives up something as well.

What you should have done is politely told him that a vote for any gun control would cost him YOUR vote in the next election.

Tack

15. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Gotta agree, seems like all we're ever doing is compromising,,,, above post is spot on, the other side must be giving on something too. Otherwise its just us trying to hold the wolves back,, each time we get pushed back a step, is a step closer to the cliff.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes I agree 100% with what they said. I just hate it when American Citizens crawl on their knees before an elected official.:eek:

17. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I would love to see conceal carry everywhere. make it like a drivers license. if you have an Ohio License, then you can drive in any of the 50 states. I need to research it, but I'm pretty sure that's a federal law that says all 50 states must recognize each others "stuff" that the law extends back to when each state was printing their own money, before we had the federal reserve.

We need that law to be applied to CCW. It seems ridiculous that I can get my drivers license in Ohio, who has their own testing procedure, and its good in Georgia, even though Ohio's testing is different than Georgia's...but yet my CCW license which required a background check that researched my criminal background in every county/state I've ever lived in, is ok in Ohio, but it's not ok in Georgia.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Let's not give up just yet; we could end up really screwed if we don't provide a cohesive and significant resistance.

I'm not a fan of the safe requirement myself. I could easily understand such a requirement for people with mentally-limited people in their household, but not for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  19. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Some gun owners don't want to or can't afford that expense. Who is going to sign-off on your safe purchase? If it is mandatory to have a safe to own a firearm, some governmental agency is going to have to verify that you have a safe.

Does that mean a visit to your home? That's the first step towards registration and confiscation.

You have to produce a receipt? All kinds of fraud available here. Buy a safe and then immediately return it before delivery. Keep the receipt and produce that.

Is the state going to do a check for your ownership of the safe periodically or randomly? Will they check your safe everytime you buy a gun?

The more government oversight the more freedom we lose. It is not responsible gun owners that need anymore government intrusion into our lives.

20. levelcross

levelcross New Member

ctshooter, I am glad that you had a chance to meet with your Rep.

I agree with no bans at all as do most. My question would have headed towards "How and what are you going to do to guarantee my protection if you push legislation towards my disarmament?" How are you going to keep me and my family safe? Why have these tactics not be implemented in Chicago and other cities with the tough gun laws? WHY?

We know that in most cases the police come just in time to determine what they feel happened during a crime, yes sometimes they are in time to prevent a crime but more often than not the call and response is after the fact. This is just the nature of crime as they do not call and inform the police of intended crimes.