Meet the "Grim Reaper" ***WARNING lots of pics***

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TexasGunner, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Well here is my 3rd build of the year Another 300 AAC Blackout. This one sports a 14 1/2" barrel which will have the muzzle break pinned once I make sure that it runs and cycles. Most of you have seen the teaser pics I posted along the way. I engraved the lower at my shop before sending it out for nickel boron coating. I was shooting for a very subtle look with the engraving. It looks almost ghosted after being plated. I like it. I used 2 different companies for the coating of various parts. The parts that I sent out to be nickel boron plated went to WMD Guns in Florida and the Reaper pattern hydro dipped parts were sent to SXW inc in Michigan. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Definitely the way I pictured it in my head. I sure hope it shoots as good as it looks! OK, so here are the details of this build......

The Upper -

*NiB-X coated WMB Stripped upper
    *Nib-X Coated WMD BCG
    *14 1/2" Stainless Steel Rainier Arms Ultra Match 300 AAC Blackout Heavy Profile Barrel
    *Seekins Precision muzzle break
    *High Velocity Arms NiB gas block
    *WMD Nitromet gas tube
    *Lancer LCH5 mid length carbon fiber hang guard
    *Magpul RVG forward grip
    *Rainier Arms Raptor ambi charging handle
    *Yankee Hill flip up sights
    *Eotech EXPS 2-2 red dot with GG&G hood with flip up covers

The Lower-

*Spikes Tactical Multi Cal receiver with Spikes enhanced aluminum trigger guard
    *WMD NiB-X fire control group with JP enterprises 3 1/2 lb springs and KNS Precision stainless steel pins
    *Yankee Hill extended takedown pins
    *High Velocity Arms NiB ambi mag release
    *Rock River safety selector
    *Ergo grip
    *Magpul UBR stock
    *Rguns NiB carbine buffer

image-2674371636.jpg image-3057177448.jpg image-4135640859.jpg image-2314964401.jpg image-4278608121.jpg image-1978824182.jpg image-3008332000.jpg image-2063059941.jpg image-1443532576.jpg image-2782563103.jpg image-149471471.jpg image-1658110237.jpg image-898943077.jpg image-974471266.jpg

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Very nice build. Nice colors. You have achieved the cool factor. Remember that if you shoot someone in self defense, the gun's name is "Miss Kitty's Rainbow Gun of Love" and not "the Grim Reaper". You know those crazy lawyers.....:D

3. longunner

longunner New Member

That is a piece of art. Great to see it all together...i think one last thing it needs is a suppressor :D

4. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That's pretty slick. It will surely stand out at the range. Nice job.

5. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Ha ha ha! No doubt. The lawyers and libtards would be all over my a$$ if I had to use it in self defense. Not worried about criminal charges for home defense. Here in Texas you all but get a commendation for defending your property. But I had better have a real smooth talking lawyer on speed dial for the civil trial that would follow. I am almost positive that the mere sight of this rifle would make the liberals piss their pants.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

And that right there is the only justification you need for that sexiness

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice gun man. Looks amazing. Congrats.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Open for business

9. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Update.... Test fire/function test completed on Saturday. Ran flawlessly! It's with the gunsmith being pinned and welded.

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Very cool rifle, you definitely have a "bad ass factor" with that.

11. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

That is really sweet!!!
    It shows a commitment, dedication, and attention to detail that is obvious...
    I really want to get into dipping....really!
    Congrats on the project!

12. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

A couple of short clips I shot with my iPhone Saturday. I posted in another thread, but feel its appropriate to add 'em here. [ame]http://youtu.be/qN_8S_UQdVQ[/ame] [ame]http://youtu.be/aGpSQJoaHY4[/ame]

It's kind of hard to shoot with one hand and video with the other and concentrate on both! But I was by myself and wanted to have something to share, so I improvised.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Thanks! It took a lot of time and research to decide what I wanted to use and how I wanted it coated. It was well worth the wait and effort. And I discovered that the JP Enterprises Silent Captured spring does work with it, so I ditched the carbine spring and buffer for it. I also took off the forward vertical grip and moved the short rail to the left side and mounted a flashlight. You can see a but of the flashlight in the second video. Much more comfortable now.

14. MrPEZO

MrPEZO New Member

Wow awesome looking gun. Definitely a work of art.

15. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Alright, Ill give you a pack of used gillette razors, a swiffer, 3 hi points, a ebay 40,000 lumen tacticool light for a mall zombie AR, and a used Obama 2012 Hope and Change T shirt. Ill throw in the bumper sticker too. All that, or one 100 round box of CCI 22LR ammo. You cant get it anywhere.

Seriously though, thats one badass rifle. I can guesstimate the prices, but Im curious on how much you have in it with the hydrodipping and NiB coating. Ive thought of doing this myself. If you dont want to divulge, I completely understand. Just wanted to know for a future project what Im looking at. Pretty sweet man. You spared no expense.

16. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Thanks! It was not cheap!!! But was worth every penny. Total build cost including the optics, flashlight etc. is right around $3,500.00. I did not skimp on anything and the way it runs and handles reflects that. This was my dream build and if I had to do it over again..... I would not change a damn thing!

17. texasman55

texasman55 New Member

I am looking at getting a seekins muzzle break for my build, just wondering what you think of it compared to others... I have a stainless barrel on the way and think it looks super cool and from what you said it functions flawlessly... Also, how is the install compared to others with crush washers?

The difference between the old ball player and the new ballplayer is the old ballplayer cared about the name on the front of the jersey, the new ballplayer cares about the name on the back...

18. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Installs really easily. Functions great as a break and flash suppressor. But it makes your gun even louder for the shooter. Anyone standing to the side is gonna feel a serious concussions when you fire. I really like it though!