Medic-Alert do any of you wear one?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DFlynt, Oct 19, 2013.

1. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

If you do, do you wear a bracelet, necklace or whatever. With my health problems I'm beginning to believe I need something for first responders. I also think my Mom should probably have one too.

I need your advice guys. Thanks

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Why not have the information tattooed on your arm?

3. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I have both, but usually wear the dog tag.
    It's discreet but easily discovered on examination..

4. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I thought about having my med info tattooed on my face like Kurt Russell in "Soldier" but then I remembered I'm personally not into tattoos. :)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A lot of us do work that makes the bracelet a safety concern. Go for the dogtag. There is also a system for those of us that wear hardhats- sticker on the hardhat that indicates health info inside. Tiny water tight pouch inside hardhat, holds sheet with health info.

http://www.meds.org/msa.php

6. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I'm curious if CPR can be performed on me after heart surgery. I'm not sure if the old sternum could take it. It's still tender after 2 years. I'd hate for some EMT to push his hand through my chest and have to live with that image.

7. c3shooter

Not to be grizzly... (sorry, 'gello)-

1. For anyone to be doing CPR- your heart is not going to be beating. At all. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Getting blood to pump is secondary to anything else.

2. Even when done correctly, CPR will frequently break ribs.

3. Yer tougher than you think.

4. I was a cop, not an EMT- would trade that image for some of the ones in my memory bank. Not all of life is pretty.

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

And I guess I'll be no position to argue. :)

9. c3shooter

If they are arguing or complaining, they don't need CPR!

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I gave up on the bracelet Medical alerts about 8 years ago. I work on small engines, motorcycles, cars, and I haul scrap. Too many chances for something to go wrong in that list. This is what I wound up doing instead. $75 and an hour in a chair getting ink under the skin, and I can not lose it or get it snagged. I call it a good trade off.

DFlynt. I did not like the idea of a tattoo that I could not cover with short sleeves. i have always felt that a tat in pubic view was a bad idea. About 5 years ago I was at the hospital waiting to get stitched up ( mistook my leg for a log, ax went in about 2 inches, and left a 5 inch cut 6 inches above my right ankle) when my blood sugar plumeted, and I passed out before I could get to the vending machines. Long story short, that tattoo saved my azz because the doctors knew the first thing to check (Blood sugar was 36, 80 to 120 is where it should be.) Going in for some ink might not be a bad idea. Just some food for thought.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Good answer!

12. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Good food for thought Kfox, I've had my blood sugars down to 38 before wasn't fun but I was able to get some juice and bring it back up.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to the baking goods isle in the grocery store, and pick up a pack of four of the small writing icings. They are not affected by temps above 32 F and you can dose all at once or a little at a time as needed. I always keep one in the pants pocket for just that kind of emergency.

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The icing is good.

I do wear a dog tag,..along with my "vanity" service tags that says Type II Diabetic..

15. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I keep tubes of glucose tablets around, and in key places, tubes of glucose gel. The gel is for unresponsive probable diabetics, because it can be squirted under the tongue and absorbed ... Tabs or juice risk choking if the person is a little spacey or unconscious.

Both work faster than most juice, about the same as honey.

Pharmacies will have both in a couple different flavors.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I used to when I was younger, I was allergic to penicillin, but not anymore I am not allergic to anything I know of.................