Media blasting setup

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by okieboy, Aug 15, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So I want to get I to dura coating, hopefully eventually work my way up to doing it semi prpfessionally. So I need some type of blasting setup. I see cabinets within my budget. However do these cabinets include the tools necessary to blast the sand? Can somebody walk me through what I meed?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

about the only thing needed other than the cabinet is an air compressor to power it and the media of your choice. one thing about a blast cabinet, even the small ones, is they need a high volume of air. not pressure but volume. make sure that the air fed into it is kept dry. any moisture will cause clogging and poor media delivery.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Most of the blasting media used in these cabinet's is glass beads.
    You can also look into soda blasting,it is environmentally safe,and can be done outdoors if you don't want to buy a blasting cabinet. It is a little messy,so check with your local ordinances. Sand blasting is old school today,and most blasting companies use soda anymore.

4. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

For duracote or cerakote you will need 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide blast media. Without a blast cabinet you will lose the blast media and it will get expensive.

5. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Harbor freight has a good small cabinet that I use for gun parts prior to shooting duracoat. Come to think my spray gun outfit came from there also. Buy extra blast nozzels when you get the cabinet. They are hard to find a year or two down the road.

I use 220 grit alum oxide for mat duracoat. 400 grit followup on parts to be bright. Hope this helps. ;)

6. okieboy

okieboy New Member

It does thank you. Unfortunately both my housing plans and job search have backfired so right now it's just the necessities (food, ammo) until I find a job.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You guys all forgot an extremely important part, A RESPIRATOR..

An absolute must have even when working with a cabinet. You do not want to find out what microscopic bits of walnut shells will do to your lungs, nevermind glass. And aluminum poisoning is terrible, I know from experience, imagine the flu times ten and then as soon as you start to feel better you blow your rectum out for Atleast 12 hours straight. Wouldn't recommend it.

8. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Complete agreement here.^^^^^^ mine is mounted under an industrial exhaust hood is the reason I didn't think of it at first. PROTECT YOUR LUNGS.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Exhaust hood is great to minimize inhaling those microscopic razor blades, but anyone near the operation, especially the operator, should use a respirator to avoid even a few of those particles getting in your body.

I saw an older guy that used to blast for a living and didn't think a mask was necessary. He might as well have smoked three packs of cigs a day and volunteered to test cancer drugs. He was miserable for what little life he had left.