MecGar or Checkmat Mags? SIG ANSWERS THE QUESTION

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Amsdorf, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

MecGar or Checkmate Mags? SIG ANSWERS THE QUESTION

Just got off the phone with Andy at Sig Sauer in NH. Very friendly and helpful. I asked him whether or not Sig now supplies their pistols with Mec Gars or are they still supplying them with Checkmate?

The answer:

Totally hit/miss and luck of the draw. They have two sources for mags: Checkmate and MecGar and it all comes down to whatever they happen to have on hand "to meet the high demand for pistols and magazines" ... so, if they happen to have Checkmates in stock, those get shipped out with all their pistols, if they happen to have MecGars...yup, you get MecGars.

So, there is NO rhyme or reason to which magazines your Sig Sauer pistol comes with.

Hope that helps settle the "why Checkmate or MecGar" when it comes to what is supplied with your Sig Sauer handgun.

I also politely told him that I and many other SIG owners I'm talking to on various gun forums have had no end of problems with the Checkmate magazines, but that the MecGars work perfectly. He did not really respond, but just said, "We have to use two suppliers to meet demand."

But, at least I told him.

Great conversation. Kudos to Andy at SIG for his professionalism and friendly style and manner. Good customer service goes a long, long way toward building customer loyalty.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. miamivice

miamivice New Member

I hope you also mentioned that the Checkmate mags are substandard and there are quite a few ticked of Sig owners.

3. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Yes, I just modified my post to include that part of the conversation. I could tell from his reaction it was not the first time they have had a complain about Checkmate magazines.

4. miamivice

miamivice New Member

They should start making the old Zipper back mags in Germany again. Those were as good or better than the Mec-gar mags. There's your two sources to draw stock from. Bye Bye checkmate.

5. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

So I got lucky huh? 2 Made In Italy and I've ordered a new extra mag that said they were new "factory" sig magazines so I wonder what kind will that be.. I'll keep you posted

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There were reported problems with Checkmate mags for Beretta M9 pistols in Iraq and Afghanistan as well. Too thick of a phosphate coat on the inside of the mag body. It would build up grit and bind up the springs. Taking them apart and steel wool scrubbing the inside seemed to help.

7. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

Today I received my extra mag I ordered online..I was happy to see it was a New Sig Sauer factory .40/357 mag sealed in plastic and was stamped "made in Italy" ..I'm still check mate free

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if i get a checkmate mag it gets sold at the next gunshow and i turn around and buy a mecgar

9. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Yup. I understand why!!

10. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Thanks for checking with Sig.

11. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

When I bought my P226 it came with 2 "Italian" mags, 15 rounders.

Since then all my other mags purchased have been MecGar 18 rounders, bought as MecGar from either Dillon Precision or Top Gun Supply. These are great quality mags and cost significantly less simply because it doesn't have Sig stamped on them, same mag though. No FTF's.

I have no experience with the Checkmate's but sounds like I don't want any. I handled a couple of their 1911 mags, made a rude noise and stayed with my Wilson Combat 47D, way better construction. JMHO

12. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Figured sometimes it is actually good to go right to the source rather than endlessly speculate on a gun forum.

I know ... it's kind of unpopular.

:)

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Here is the answer from Sig Sauer on my P226 mags....

Hey,
    This is what those mags are

JP Sauer. Original German Zipperback Magazines. Old school magazines.
    Email me if you have more questions have a good day.

Thanks

Kyle

Kyle McAuliffe

Customer Service Representative

Direct Line: 603-610-3846

18 Industrial Drive

Exeter, NH, 03833

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  14. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Which are highly sought after. There are only two mags that a Sig should have

1) German made Zipper back style

2) Mec-gar

3) see items 1 and 2

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Those zipperback mags look like USP mags. I wonder if they are made by the same people?

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sigs are Metal and USP are Polymer. I own both guns. Both mags are great.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

My USP mags are steel. They are factory mags, .45ACP 12 rounders.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

That is very interesting. Here is my German manufactured USP .40 with poly mags.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have aftermarket Mec-Gar mags for my P08 Luger, Browning HP, S&W 5906 and others. All (around 15) work well so they know what they're doing. It would be very annoying to get factory mags from a quality maker like Sig that don't work as well!

20. 1911love

1911love New Member

Here are my USP .45 mags, metal with a zipper back.

Attached Files: