Meat-shoot.....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Feb 17, 2013.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My old girlfriend came back to St.Louis this past week from Sterling Colorado and we went to a local meat-shoot at the Elks club and then one at the local VFW hall...Anyway...She has a 12 gauge with a scope and a small choke so they would not let her shoot at the VFW hall...She was telling me that they never heard of meat-shoots west of Kansas City...She lived there to for a few years before moving west to work on a wind-farm in Colorado....I thought everybody had meat-shoots nation wide...Has anybody never heard of a meat-shoot ???...Well I guess it's a bigger world then I thought....Bye...I'm off trying to win my dinner for this beautiful Sunday afternoon......:confused:.......

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

Are you sure they didn't call it a skeet shoot?

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Nope its a meat shoot, the Moose Lodge between Pevely, MO. and Arnold, MO. on U.S. 61/67 holds one every Sunday.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are are in wisconsin often at private clubs and such. they called em turkey shoots where i grew up in texas. although the prizes could be anything from actual turkeys to hogs to cows or chickens or guns.

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

I have heard of turkey shoots around here. My Grandfather used to hold them inside his wood shop, they shot 22 shorts and hit a steel plate on a back wall, 10 yds.

6. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Yeah most places I have lived called them Turkey shoots, Missouri was the first place I heard them called Meat shoots.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've always wanted to go to one. Never have really seen any close by here.

9. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

It would be fun to do locally if you had the land. Have a small bore rimfire division and center fire division.

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here they were always turkey shoots untill recently now they are mostly meat shoots. Never seen them with anything other than shotguns though. Shot closest to center wins.

12. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I shot 7 times and won only one time...A slab of Bacon at $4.00 a shot...At the end they had a money round and it was $10.00 a shot with the prize of $480.00...Most rounds where 15 people shooting for meats of different kinds every round...I drank about 5 spicy-hot bloody-marys.....Had a great time with my brothers and sister....

13. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

We have turkey shoots around here. You take your shot gun and shoot at cards with dots in the middle at 25 yards and see how many pellets of bird shot you can get close to the dot. Winner takes home some sort of prize. It usually all boils down to whose gun patterns the best.

14. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Yea...The local Elks Lodge has there first meat-shoot coming-up this weekend...I already shot at one last weekend but didn't win anything...They check the choke on your gun and it can't be smaller then.667 I think that was the size....don't hold me to that....We here shooting #8 bird-shot...You could win $30.00 dollars cash or a meat prize they have right there on spot or a coupon for $35.00 at Kinders meat market for anything in the store....I shot 6 times with the old Mossberg and only came close one-time to the cross-hairs on the card....They did have a few shoot-off's to see who won...and the bloody-marys the girl was making was spicy...Glade the meat-shoot season is finely here...:)....

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Shot 9 rounds today and didn't win a thing....Just drank a few Bloody-Mary's and put wood on the Bonfire all day.........:(....

16. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Going to miss the first meat-shoot of the fall at the Lodge this sunday...Going to Chicago for the nascar race...I'll be back next weekend to take your money boy's....lol......Still havn't won any bacon in them shooting match's.....:(...Maybe with my new choke being .667 in size it will do better then the stock full-choke did last year.....

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Wasn't St Louis a big beef area?
    Round up the cattle and to get them from one pen to the other, a chute was used.

Would those also be called meat chutes?

I was also thinking of another meat chute, but the wife is looking over my shoulder. :)

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Different places have different rules regarding the choke size. Definitely no "pull downs". It's best to have an assortment of choke tubes on hand to switch to in case their "gauge" gives the stink eye to the one in your gun.

Some shoots give you the choice between items if you win. Do you want steak, turkey or bacon? Some give out gift certificates to local grocery stores. Even if you don't win, you can still have a good time.

[​IMG]

19. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  20. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

That's true...Pork-Steaks are very big in St.Louis and many people in other parts of the country will say...What....Pork-Steaks...Never heard of them....not everybody but more then you would think....We shoot for money on some rounds and meat on others,at 62 feet away with a 12 gu-shotgun....Great way to spend a winter sunday afternoon.....