Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some advice on putting up meat from a good hunting season. With the liberal bag limits in Florida on deer, I can get plenty of meat. I have tried just wrapping in freezer paper, vac-pac with one of them home done things, even freezing in jugs of water. It never fails that come late summer the meat just is not fresh or freezer burnt. What method do you use?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Waxed butcher's paper wrapped in plastic wrap has worked for me pretty well. Zero freezer burn 6 months later.

·
Banned
13,934 Posts
I have nothing to add sorry.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I would like to get some advice on putting up meat from a good hunting season. With the liberal bag limits in Florida on deer, I can get plenty of meat. I have tried just wrapping in freezer paper, vac-pac with one of them home done things, even freezing in jugs of water. It never fails that come late summer the meat just is not fresh or freezer burnt. What method do you use?
You say you've tried one of the vacuum-seal machines? I've never frozen deer meat, but we use ours for beef and pork all the time and it works great.....never any freezer burn. Black and Decker makes a good one.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I've frozen deer/elk/etc meat for up to a whole year before with triple wrapped freezer paper with no freezer burn.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Double wrap.
I wrap tightly with saran wrap, try to squeeze out all the air that causes freezer burn. Then tightly wrap shiny side in with the coated reynolds freezer paper.
Just ate some burger from 2 seasons ago. No burn, tasted great

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Food Saver is one of the best (non-commercial) food vac systems. I've never had any issues with freezer burn with this equipment and their freezer bags.

As mentioned in another post, getting the air out and keeping it and migrating moisture out is key!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The food saver machine's

like the man said the food saver's sell now for about $100.00 just a small home use type are great & I buy my refill bags from wally world & I buy the black & decker bags when on sale in the rolls also as they work good in the food saver machines,better than freezer paper & tape etc I use mine for all game meat & chicken, beef, fish, etc. great investment, you use for ever & enjoy, no more waste & freezer burned meat's etc.or like the commercial on tv says "no more cash in the trash " :D

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
like the man said the food saver's sell now for about $100.00 just a small home use type are great & I buy my refill bags from wally world & I buy the black & decker bags when on sale in the rolls also as they work good in the food saver machines,better than freezer paper & tape etc I use mine for all game meat & chicken, beef, fish, etc. great investment, you use for ever & enjoy, no more waste & freezer burned meat's etc.or like the commercial on tv says "no more cash in the trash " :D
You won't catch me going against the food savers.

But, the OP was a long time ago and the last post was a few months ago.

Please check the last post date at least.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Food saver and saran wrap but I suggest purchasing a large roll of the commercial restaraunt style food wrap cheaper in the long run and much easier to use, Also be very carefull of sharp bones that can puncture the bag an cause vacum loss . The buitcher paper would be my second choice but saran wrap it first double or triple wrap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts