McAfee warning for the site?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AcidFlashGordon, Oct 8, 2011.

1. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

When I clicked on my bookmark for Firearms Talk, I got the following warning from McAfee:

[​IMG]

I've been visiting this site for quite some time and have never gotten ANY kind of viral "alert" from McAfee before. :confused:

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

McAfee is a memory hog. Sort of like the retarded kid who eats cookies all day, that everyone just thinks is all that and a bag of chips.
    I got away from their anti-virus years ago. Too much, too little, and it just bogs the system down.

3. OC357

OC357 New Member

It says "warning-suspicious site"..........LOL

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Might have been one of the ad site links?

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm using McAffee's latest version of Internet Security Suite and I've never received a message like that about Firearm's Talk.

I swear it's because many of the lib's. who write code the software companies reside in California where anything that has to do with forearms is automatically labeled as bad & evil. :confused:

6. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Mine just started doing the same thing. For a long time it was only the Brown McAfee bar instead of the Green one displayed on-screen.

For the last 3 days or so I've been getting the whole screen, (like yours) when I click favorites to come here.

Guess I'll ignore it. Probably got something to do with Attorney General Holder anyway. :eek:

7. cuate

cuate New Member

And others

I have had Mc, PC, and now use AVG anti virus and cleanup which is the latest and greatest, for me...I think they still have a free download but mine was around $39 a year for the two programs I use..

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The McAffee feature that dogs-down your PC / Internet is a third party program they load on installation called "Site Adviser". It's the one that decides for you whether a site good, bad or otherwise and gives you the screwy warning messages. I disabled mine long ago, I don't need someone else picking my sites for me.

If you want to turn off this feature go to "Tools" on your Internet Explorer Toolbar and select "Manage Add-Ons" then go down the list and disable the three (3) McAffee program add-ons shown and switch them to disable and select "OK". That will keep the pesky program from running in Explorer and speed-up your Internet a bunch. :cool:

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I live in CA and as far as I know nobody here has anything against forearms.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Seriously (all typos aside) I live in the mountains above Silicon Valley and I know tons of Techies (I used to work on some of Steve Wozniak's cars when I was wrenching and I still see him around town now and then) and many if not most of the code-writers that I know are avid firearms enthusiasts. Go figure. I'll have to get my code-writing friends to get onto this forum.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Corrected it because I don't use Internet Extortion at home. :p

At work it doesn't matter because we don't have internet access on our TS/SAR (Top Secret/Special Access Required) computers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

LOL, that's hilarious!!!! :D Nobody will ever accuse me of being a typist.

P.S.: You'll never convince me you guys in California 'aint weird!

14. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

This has been reoccurring. We have no spyware or exploits nor have we ever. Maybe it's just the fact it's a firearm site?

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yep. It's Shihan's posts.