Maybe the insanity is taking a different twist?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by trip286, May 22, 2013.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

In my area, I've just noticed in the past two days, people are starting to trade GOLD AND SILVER for ammunition. And we're talking .40 and 9MM.

WTF???

I know it can still be scarce, but I can go to the LGS right now, and spend every penny I have on a single caliber of ammo and not put a dent in their stock. That's not saying much, as I don't have much money, but it'll put a few thousand rounds of .45ACP in my closet.

Are some folks really that desperate? I really don't like seeing this, because it can only mean bad things for the rest of us.

It's been bad enough that some people have been doing a lot of buying and reselling at gouged prices for cash, but now that those particular ass holes are about to learn they can get gold and silver?

Oh come the phuk on!!!

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

it just means Gold an silver are making a slow comeback as day to day currency.
    Nothing wrong here :)

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

If that were the case, I'd be cool with it. But in this day when some people are asking over $100 for a brick of .22, and getting it, I don't know man...

When I see people paying for groceries and gas in gold and silver, that'll be an entirely different story. I'll start wiping my butt with the green stuff.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I would not spend gold/silver on ammo. I have swapped some silver for a couple different guns. Since I started reloading I have been able to skip the constant hunt for factory ammo.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A buddy was so desparate for ammo, he traded his Glock 17L for 3000 rounds of assorted handloads. Yeah, I might have $300 invested in the ammo. I got myself a nice conversation piece.

Oh, and no, it did not make a dent in my supply.

I traded the same guy 240 rds of .308 SP handloads for a case of .30-06 AP about 6 months ago.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Ammo is a consumable and gold/silver is a commodity. Totally different. However, since I think gold will be going down in the future, perhaps it ain't such a bad idea.

In Oregon I've seen people selling stuff for Au/Ag, but not the other way around. For example, a guy was selling a PMag for $1!! The trick was you had to buy it using silver coins.

7. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Your gun stores availability is not the same as everybody's. I can't buy .22 or 9 no matter what. Walmart here doesn't even have 12 gauge. They only have .270 and 300 win mag. A local gun store has .40 today but not tomorrow.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Mine isn't the same as everybody's... But it's the same as theirs.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Then in reality he was selling a PMag not for a dollar but for $22.73. ;)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll be honest, this guy was so damn lopsided on the deal he was offering, I almost took advantage of it. Someone else has beat me to the punch though. His offer stood for about 20 minutes before someone took him up on it.

He was offering about 20 ounces of silver for 200 rounds of .40. (ingots)

What does that come out to? I'm pretty sure it's way above market value.

Another guy is offering two gold chains for 100 of 9MM.

Of course, I don't know if either of these are the real deal.

I may become the person I hate, and go stock up on 9 and 40 just to wait for this offer to come around again.

11. Brue182

Brue182 New Member

That's only the straight value of the silver. On top of that you need to add the collector value of the coin. Depending on year and condition he could be selling a PMag for much much more. Especially if whoever it is just inherited grandpas coin collection and has no idea how much the silver dollar could be worth.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Hmmmm, shiny bits of metal or weaponry, which would be more useful if SHTF? I never did much care for jewelry.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These are the same people who are buying gold on their credit cards. The interest on the card at 27% is growing faster than the price of gold.
    The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It is all about one guy thinking faster than the other guy. :D

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Robert Allen (rich guy who made money in real estate) suggested long ago to collect up a bag of silver dimes. In a real SHTF situation I don't think silver will even buy toilet paper.

That is, unless it is silver that is already formed into 230 grain bullets...

15. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Gold and silver have always had a value. If the SHTF it would be better to have silver than dollars.
    Never put all your eggs into one basket. Have a little silver. Have plenty of ammo. Have a source of fresh water. And so on.

16. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Those werewolves will buy up all the silver bullets. For sure.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There are some strange folks out there!:p

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It almost over here... Reloading stuff is still hard to get, but ammo is starting to become easier to get. The used gun sites like Armslist and Backpage arent totally ridiculous anymore.. AR's are almost down to pre-panic prices ($500- $1000) People still want crazy $$$ for .22LR though.. :confused:

19. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

That will be scary, indeed.

I have sold my (smallish) U.S. investments. No offence, but I think your currency is headed to the toilet. There's no way to pay off a $16T debt in $US (and climbing fast). Can't be done. On the other hand, you can pay off a debt of 16T pesos. The point being, if the US dollar is made smaller, that much debt be paid.....and that's what happens with inflation. It would not need to go all the way to the peso level, I'm just using that to make a point. Therefore, it seems to me that heavy inflation in the U.S. is inevitable. It will affect us here, too. I don't know that the solution is to hoard gold and silver but I am pretty sure it makes more sense to hold assets than cash, over the long haul, because the cash will shrink during inflation while the asset values will rise.

That's my .02, anyway.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I don't see what's so strange. Until a month ago, when I diverted all my more liquid investments' dividends and capital gains ongoing earnings into purchasing gold shares, I had STOPPED buying gold when it was $500 an ounce less than its high. So, using that declining gold to buy overpriced ammo is exactly what the investment in gold was meant for -- insurance. Preservation of capital/buying power.

The ammo, they might reasonably argue, didn't cost them a penny more than it would have a year or two ago. They just put more value on the ammo today than the gold at the moment, in the short term.

Those crazy preppers! So weird!!!

I guess economics is not really that intutive. Maybe if we put everything in terms of the value of a Ford F-150 as well as the price of a gallon of Regular and a tin of chaw... Rocky7, u must have gone to The Sauder School!

Last edited: May 24, 2013