Maybe a stupid question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 99zulu, Jun 8, 2013.

1. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Is a single action revolver one that you have to cock the hammer before firing each round? Maybe a better question would be, what is the difference between single and double action?

2. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

I appreciate that, but I'm in the national guard, and my service is horrible out here in the field. My internet isn really working, but this app is. However, slowly

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

"The revolver allows the user to fire multiple rounds without reloading. Each time the user cocks the hammer, the cylinder revolves to align the next chamber and round with the hammer and barrel, which gives this type of firearm its name. In a single-action revolver, the user pulls the hammer back with his free hand or thumb; the trigger pull only releases the hammer. In a double-action revolver, pulling the trigger moves the hammer back, then releases it." Thank you for your service.

4. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Correct me of I'm wrong but a single action revolver only releases the hammer when you pull the trigger. A double action would both cock the hammer and release it in one pull.

5. 99zulu

99zulu New Member

Thank you for the info, as well as your support :)

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Single action:pull back on hammer and pull trigger to fire.
    Double action:You can pull the trigger to fire with hammer down or pulled back. You can do either.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Correct. Or you could use a D A like a S A and manually cock before firing. This helps with accuracy. This can be done unless the gun is a DAO "Double Action Only".

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Also a single action requires less pull on the trigger to fire the weapon. A double action is twice the effort to squeeze the trigger and fire the weapon. You generally can be a better aim in single action than double action. And a double action can be operated in either action, while a single action can work only in single action.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Are you looking to purchase a revolver?

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Picture single actions as 1800's cowboy gunfight guns. And double actions as dirty harry police type revolvers.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Single action - the trigger serves a single purpose, releasing the manually cocked hammer.

Double action - the trigger serves two purposes, cocking the hammer to fire and releasing a manually cocked hammer.

These definitions were all well and good up to the middle of the 20th century. Things started to get weird when DAO (double action only) handguns made the scene. Double action only? WTH? Double action was by definition TWO different available functions. Now a trigger that only does one thing is DAO? You never see anything referred to as SAO, do you? Striker fired guns REALLY clouded the issue. As their is no hammer, what do you call them? Some striker fired guns preload the striker so the first and subsequent shots are really single action. Some do not load the striker so the first shot is more double action like. Some are kind of in between and even worse, some have options ranging from loaded to unloaded strikers (P-99).

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

strangley enough most single action revolvers can be fired faster than most double action revolvers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6FMZEXD5lk&feature=share&list=PLA7A668B815B5C4B9[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013