maybe a new gun??

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kzink, Nov 8, 2009.

1. kzink

kzink New Member

well since my first gun, Remington 870 HD, was a gift and i need a much longer barrel to hunt effectively. i went to a few of my local gun shops and the best price ive heard for a barrel is 225 i found one online for 180 but i still have to pay for shipping. so if im gunna be spending almost 250 after tax for just a barrel y not spend a little more and get a brand new gun. just trying to get some ideas on a second gun. should i stick with a 870 or something new. i have never hunted but i plan on starting. what do you guys think?

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Hunting what?

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This works well on APC's:

20-great.jpg

20mikemike

20-stand.jpg

20mikemike

20-50.jpg

20mikemike & .50 BMG

4. User Name

User Name New Member

LMAO, Nice canebrake!

If you are interested in hunting I would keep your 870. I have seen barrels for my 870 express at dicks for much less than that. I do not remember the exact price but it was nowhere near that price!

If you cannot find a barrel for a good price and would like to save some pennies, look for a Mosin Nagant rifle. You can get one for about 100 bucks, and has around the same power as a 30-06. Ammo is also cheap. Look for the long barrels as they are more accurate.

If you really want to stay with a shotgun but get a new gun, I would stay with the 870. It is a really great shotgun. IMO for the money its the best you can get. Good luck to you!

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Well yes--but while the APC season is long, it's getting harder and
    harder to draw a tag. And you do have to admit, the 20 is right at
    the edge of being overkill for sage rats.

Cane--what is the black one? At first glance I thought S18 1000
    Solothurn, but it's something else. Pic is a little dark--single shot
    bolt action with a left side magazine?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think it's a South Africian Mechem NTW-20

ntw20_1.jpg

7. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Since you're looking to change a short barrel shotgun into a hunting gun, I can only assume that you'll be hunting shotgun game. Sometimes it more feasible to buy a whole gun than parts to change your gun. Check Wal*Mart they have Rem 870s for 259 bucks w/ a mail-in-rebate making the price even less than the original price tag. It's always nice to have 2 or more shotguns. ;)

8. adamhale

adamhale New Member

I have a maverick 88 it is made by mossberg here is the web site Maverick Arms very reliable gun same as a mossberg 500

9. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I got into this game before screw-in choke tubes and the like, and I like extra barrels. There are more around for an 870 than anything else, and there are plenty on gunbroker and gunsamerica well under $150. If you can live with a fixed choke there are plenty around and under $100.
    Fortunately or unfortunately, it seems the cost of supporting your local gun shop keeps going up relative to the competition on a lot of things.