Featured May sound funny BUT

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by curly45, Aug 1, 2020.

1. curly45

curly45 Member

It seems that for some reason I can shoot a revolver better than a semi, have not figured it out? Thinking @ getting a 45 snubby any suggestions?

ramjet likes this.
  2. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Are you talking 45 ACP or 45 long Colt?

If ACP, off the top of my head S&W made one & so did Charter Arms.

If you mean 45 Colt, i'm sure all the big names made one at some point.

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

When I started shooting I bought a .22 pistol and a .22 auto. I could shoot much bette with the auto, longer barrel, better sights, etc.
    Then my wife got interested in guns and we bought a nice S&W 657 w/ 5" barrel (hard to come by now I understand) and a Taurus PT38S, 38 super.
    She and I got very good with the .357 but neither of us could hit anything with the Taurus.
    So much that I thought it was out of whack from the factory. I asked a friend to take it for a weekend and play with it, to see if it was me or the pistol. He was an avid shooter and I was a beginner so I figured he would be one to check it out.
    On Monday morning he came back with the pistol and the targets he shot....full of bullseyes.
    So it was my issue.
    Over time I learned how to shoot the auto as well as the revolver.....the key being time, practice and getting used to a different way of shooting. Revolvers for the most part are a more deliberate way of shooting. The action requires a certain discipline for handling and keeping it steady until the hammer drops. An auto doesn't offer that time frame. You point and start squeezing and suddenly it fires whether you are expecting it or not.
    But those things go away in time and you learn the weapon. At least I did.

curly45 and Rifling82 like this.
  4. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

the revolver.....the key being time, practice and getting used to a different way of shooting

Learn to STAGE the trigger on that wheel gun.
    try this with an empty gun.
    double action, you squeeze like you normally would and then you will hear and feel a click, slack off on your trigger pressure at that time and get your "flash sight picture", then squeeze and drop the hammer.
    Best way I can describe it.
    you might try to look it up on you tube.
    Staging the trigger.
    BTW... on an autoloader, do you know about SEAR reset?
    after you fire a round, you let up on the trigger SLOWLY and you will hear and feel a click...then start squeezing the trigger again and the trigger pull will be about half what it is at "FULL pull"
    TRY it. Y ou can EMPTY your autoloader, cock the hammer, squeeze the trigger, KEEP IT TO THE REAR (the trigger) then JACK the slide as if it fired, then let up on the trigger real slow and hear / feel the click then start squeezing the trigger again.
    Also, try not to "drag wood"

towboater likes this.
  5. Missouribound

All the advice in the world won't make up for trigger time.
    Experience is the only advice that matters.

PaBushMan likes this.
  6. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

DID you try it?

7. ramjet

ramjet Member

Nothing wrong with the wheelie passion. I think a short barreled 625 with moon clips would kick ***

8. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like wheel guns. Unfortunately for me, there all big bore. S&M 629 in 44mag., S&M 460, and recently published an S&M 500. There a fine piece of art. Crazy part is, I've only shot the 460. Thank Covid for that.. But hel!, I'm going to have a great range day when I'm able to go..

ramjet likes this.
  9. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

If you belive it you will live it.

10. curly45

curly45 Member

Hoping your reference to Covid is because it is around and not because you have it.

PeeJay1313 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  11. curly45

curly45 Member

Thanks for all the replys. Guess I just need to practice more sure hate to do that(Ha-Ha)

Rifling82 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  12. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Prolly because ammo availability

13. PeeJay1313

Correct, I do not have it. Our local range is not fully open yet.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Learn a smooth trigger pull. Straight back, all the way through.

Staging the trigger is not a good idea.

alsaqr likes this.
  15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Roger that. When we in LE carried wheel guns part of our qual was from the 50 yd line. Now with the autos they do not even try that. 25 yd is the longest qual I have shot with the autos. When we were issued autos I found that the auto would not shoot near as accurately as the revolver. I could consistently shoot 1 1/2 - 2 inch groups at 25 yds with my M-19, but with my 5906 it was 4+ inch groups regardless of ammo. I was told 'that is acceptable combat accuracy'!! :(

sheriffjohn likes this.
  16. Missouribound

I've been shooting for about 25 years.
    What do you think?

17. PeeJay1313

Everyone has their sweet point. If yours is single action, you have a gift..

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]
    One of my favorites. Para Ordnance Light Double Action. Note the trigger?

[​IMG]
    Browning BDA. Again- trigger.

Wheelgun fans seem to do really well with these.

Rifling82, JimRau and PaBushMan like this.
  19. Rancid

Rancid Active Member

There is a line between belief and delusion. I can believe I can shoot DA accurately for the rest of my life and I will be delusional for the rest of my life. :D

20. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

C3 is that a double action .45 acp 1911? If so I need more info on it!

I am mostly a wheel gun guy. I took my ccw with a Colt Official Police .38. Out shot a lot of guys with new Sigs and Glocks. To be fair I have been shooting that revolver since the early 1980s, not since the week before the class. Pretty sure those Sigs and Glocks could've outshot my Colt, but the shooters couldn't.

Best part was I took the class with 3 guys I work with. There were several different shooting "challenges" The last was 10 shots into a paper plate. All 10 had to hit the plate, can't remember the range, maybe 10 yards, probably less. I had to load 6 then reload 4, the semi auto guys loaded 10 in their mags. I had 10 shots off before 2 of the 3, and a tighter group than all 3. Up till then they picked on me about my old truck and my wheel guns.

OK they still pick on me about the truck!!

Rifling82 and primer1 like this.