Maverick 88. 20ga

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by mich1377usmc, Mar 15, 2014.

1. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Went to Mebane NC this AM to rescue a Great Dane & found this puppy at a local LGS. It is a youth model with 22 inch barrel & removable chocks. My wife really likes it as it was bought for her. uploadfromtaptalk1394917098611.jpg

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Cool. Congrats. I'm sure it'll serve you guys well.

Now, about that Great Dane...

3. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Here is a pix of the Dane. Her name is Amber, she is about 18 months old. Another female into my heard of Danes......LOL uploadfromtaptalk1394922126883.jpg

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good lookin pup. Congrats. How many Danes if that now? Four?

5. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Yes have 4 right now,2 are mine & 2 are foster but have had up to 4 fosters around New years.

6. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice looking Dane. Mom had one some years ago, she kept foster kids and also babysat a couple of kids. Those kids could do almost anything to that dog and the dog wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Adults on the other hand not so much. One afternoon the father of the kids she was babysitting came into the house, this was normal no knock just come into the kitchen. Mom happened to be outside hanging clothes on the line, all of the kids were in the living room, that dog sat in the doorway between the kitchen and living room she didn't actually growl, she had this way of rumbling from deep down in her chest that just kept people at bay. The funny part is she knew this guy he picked the kids up everyday, but she wasn't going to let those kids go till Mom said it was ok. She was the same way with mom nobody went near mom without her approval.

She would put up with anything the kids did, little kids don't know any better they would pull at her ears or her tail, try to ride her, one little girl would use her for a pillow when she was laying on the floor. Never so much as a stifled growl even when it would have been justified.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Our Great Dane is one of the best dogs I've had. She's great with our kids and so sweet in general.

I feel like Danes are often overlooked and stereotyped, because of their size. Even by dog people. But I've never met a mean Dane.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Big dog regardless of the breed always do better with small kids. No matter what the kid/s do the dog can just walk away. Small kids can overpower small dogs. If the kid is choking the small dog or pulling it's ears the dog can't pull away, so it bites a kid.

A national news show was advising people to get pug size dogs for small kids. I was thinking you all really hired an animal expert here :rolleyes:.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Maverick 88 is a good solid platform of a shotgun. i have had two of them and my current one works quite well. enjoy it.

Amber is a good looking dog! thanks for rescueing her from the shelter. i wish more people would go to the animal shelters than breeders for dogs and cats.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you decide to use this gun for HD they make a good 20 pellet #3 buckshot load for it.
    Thanks for sharing!:)

11. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Thanks all for the replies. I'm looking at 20ga HD ammo now & trying to figure what will best work in this gun , also what the wifey can shoot without hurting her. She HATES my 12ga..... LOL. Amber will be with us for about a month as we evaluate her for the rescue we work with, you never know I may decide to keep her, she is real sweet. I tell people, we as humans owe or dogs a debt for always being on the alert while we sleep, besides whom ever kicks my door will have about 600 lbs of Great Dane to deal with before they have to deal with me.....LOL

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 20 ga will be nice for your wife to practice with. In a fight for her life she will not feel the recoil or hear the report of the 12 ga. I have a 20 ga here but my wife prefers a 9mm carbine. She is hell on wheels with the carbine.

13. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Well found ammo for the 20 ga, now just have to have her find time to head to the farm to shoot this shotty.

Attached Files:

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have found I get better patterns with #6 then with #7.5 or #8 in the 20 gauge. The 20 pellet #3 buck load patterns very well in my shotgun. Do your own patterns but at 7 yards you can expect about 6" with cylinder, 5" with IC and 4" with Mod.

15. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

I have a box or 2 of #6 shot in an ammo box some where around here, will find & bring that along also. Just trying to figure out if I can shot that slug load through a mod choke or should I buy the imp cyl choke????

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

You can run slugs through any choke from full to IC without damage to the choke, but for best accuracy try out both the mod and IC chokes to see which is best. Different slugs will like different chokes sometimes, so there is no set answer as to which is best without some range time. Since you already have the Mod, try it out. It should work well enough.

Nice looking Dane. My wife's lab, Maya, is also a rescue, but not from a shelter or rescue group. she was a direct intervention by us a few years ago. We responded to an ad on Craig'slist for a 1 YO lab about 40 miles from home. Upon getting there, we found a 3 month old puppy that was skin and bones, and I pulled the landlord aside and asked him to give me the REAL story. Turns out that the dog was left in an apartment in his building when the tenant left in the middle of the night with no forwarding address. he found the place wrecked with empty food and water bowls (the water one was fully dry). At that point, I told him that we will take the dog with us. There was no way we were leaving her there.

fast forward 3 years, and she is full grown, and we are still working on anxiety issues when we leave her at home to go to the store, or somewhere that we can not take her. Imagine dealing with this during a move. We wound up with a good dog out of the deal, but there is still an urge to find her old owner, and give him an azz chewing he would never forget.How anyone can do that to a family pet is beyond me. I just can't fathom it. It took my sister, her family, and us 4 months to find a place that would fit all of us (Household of 8 plus the dog) and allow pets. There was no way we were not taking the dog with us.

17. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

K-- thanks for the reply. I was thinking on those lines about these chokes, do not shoot shotguns often. I'm still getting the IC choke too. Yes Amber is a good dog, she is with another foster now & I think she is going to keep her.