mauser question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bluebikerboy1, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

i picked up what i think is a spanish m43 mauser. the ammo that came with it is 7mm 7x57 mauser. i havnt shot it yet but i have a question. can any 7mm ammo shoot in it or noly 7x57? reason i ask is walmart has regular 7mm ammo for under 30 bucks a box but i dont want to hurt the gun if its not supposed to take it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The 7mm Mauser and the 7x57 are the same cartridge. If your rifle is marked 7x57, then that is all it will shoot. I don't understand what you mean by "regular 7mm," but the 7mm ammo that Walmart would have is 7x57 (7mm Mauser), 7mm-08, and 7mm Remington Magnum. All three are different and will only function with its own specific ammo.
    ct

3. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

i believe its 7mm remmington i saw. so that wont work with the mauser then correct?

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Correct 7mm Remington Magnum will only work in a 7mm Remington Magnum chamber.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

use only what it's chambered for and nothing else! it should be marked on the barrel or the reciever what it's chambered for. if in doubt carry it to a competent gunsmith to have it checked to see what the proper ammo is for it. seriously i woulddo that anyway, simply because, that rifle could have been rechambered in a different caliber. not uncommon with some of those older rifles like that.

using the improper ammo in that rifle could have some very dangerous effects, such as blowing up the rifle or you. use only what's proper for it and nothing else. stay safe.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Remington's cartridge manufacturing side of the house does load 7mm Mauser (7x57mm) rounds also, like Federal does. But whatever "brand" you buy, you need to make sure the chambering is for a 7x57mm Mauser. Remington and Federal also make 7-08 ammo and 7mm Mag.

When you get into high powered rifle rounds you want to use the specific caliber and chambering for your rifle.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Short answer: NO!!!!

You generally can only shoot ammunition that matches the chamber of the rifle. Quite sure you couldn't even close the bolt on "regular" 7mm rounds. Because around here the regular 7mm is the 7-Remington Magnum, which a longer, wider, belted case.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Use only 7x57 ie. 7mm Mauser................
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=9847

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Blue,

You should be able to go to a local gun show and find some for it. I know Cheaper Than Dirt carries it!

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

7mms.jpg

Depends on what you are calling "regular" 7mm. Here are some. No, none of them interchange.

(left to right) 7mm-08 Rem, 7mm Mauser, .284 Win, .280 Rem, 7mm SAUM, 7.21 Lazzeroni Tomahawk, 7mm WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Wby Mag, 7mm Dakota, 7mm STW, 7mm Ultra Mag and 7.21 Lazzeroni Firebird.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a really good Mouser a few years ago.

She ran off with a raccoon.:p

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Dude, you need new material. Your no Henny Youngman. ;)

13. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

"take my wife please" oh wait somebody did, never mind.

14. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

i took it out and put a box of 7x57 and it worked great. if anyone is curious i made a video of it with some other rifles and one of the handguns i own. a day of fun. what was amazing was the recoil of this mauser. i was using the truck to brace agains and the recoil was so strong it kept knocking over the camera i had on the hood.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpC_70bLrX4[/ame]

i cant hit the broadside of a barn with this thing and my shoulder was multi colored afterwards and for about a week (note to self, find recoil pads for mauser and shotgun) but it was well worth it

15. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Watch out for some older ammunition marked as 7mm Express,, which is now known as .280 Remington,, a fellow I know picked some up at a Gun Show, thinking he had 7x57,, luckily he could not chamber a round and asked about it later.

16. jpattersonnh

The 7x57 is a ***** cat. You should try some of its' larger Mauser brothers. 7x57 is known as an easy recoiling round.

17. CreepingDeath

CreepingDeath New Member

The 7x57 is a very capable round and if handloaded can beat performance of the 7mm08. A very well knowen safari hunter used this round to secure all manners of game including elephants... alot of elephants.

18. jpattersonnh

That would be Bell. He also used 6.5x55 and .303

19. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

holy **** are you telling me that my mausser is an elephant gun?

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

only in the hands of a skilled hunter and shooter using the proper ammo. yes there are some hunters in the past that used the 7x57 to hunt elephants with. but they well above average hunters and most were talented shooters.