Mauser auctions

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by texaswoodworker, May 1, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Mauser actions

Here's a question for all you gunsmiths, gun builders, and Mauser lovers. When building a custom rifle, where do you get the Mauser action? Do you take an old, complete Mauser and take the action off of it, or do you buy the action by itself?
    Building a custom Mauser rifle is on my to do list (a long ways down the road), and I was just curious about how you get the action to build off of. I'm sort of a purist when it comes to old military rifles, but would have no problem using a already sporterized Mauser.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I usually start by checking numrich. It may be cheaper to pick up an old beater or sporterized though. A Google search will generally give you plenty of options to explore.

3. texaswoodworker

Numrich's site kept freezing up on me. :(

I did find some WW2 K98K barreled actions for $210 at rguns.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's probably a decent price. I priced out an 03A3 barreled action the other day at around $330.

5. texaswoodworker

Sweet. What I'm wanting is an extremely accurate rifle for target shooting (and maybe some hunting) at 100 yards (I would like 1/4 MOA but would be more than happy with anything under 1 MOA).
    I'd really like to get it chambered in around in the 6mm range, that has only moderate to light recoil.

Here are a few of the rounds I'm thinking of.

.22-250

I'm really leaning more toward .223 or .22-250.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool. I look forward to hearing about the progress.

7. texaswoodworker

It will be a while (most likey next year). My next project is an AR-15. :D

8. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

I'm not a professional gunsmith, but I used to collect old Mauser's ect. I still have a few and have built some custom Mauser's and 03A3's too. It all depends on what you want. I like guns that shoot good and look good too, but you won't know until you try it.
    I used to build street rods and had not problem taking a perfectly good 34 ford or 31 and putting a a chevy mill and train and lots of time and money converting it to a coolrod. Now I just go to rod runs and stick with mostly modern guns.
    Good luck and keep us posted because I love looking at old guns that have been restored or custom rebuilds.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  9. texaswoodworker

When I start it, I'll be sure to start a thread for it. ;)

Holy cow!!! Have you guys seen the price of a custom Mauser in .22-250?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/91091074...n/Custom_Mauser_22_250_Wallack_and_Holmes.htm

I wouldn't mind having that scope. I think it looks cool. :D

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah my next personal build will be an AR when money allows. As for that mauser, holy hell! I think I might have to look into doing one.

11. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

This is one I built with the help of Quality Plating of Nashville. This looks better than any of those high price one's on gunbroker and it has some good stuff at 100 yards. I have about $400.00 in labor and $290.00 in parts. I already had the gun but the stock got stepped on by a horse.

Attached Files:

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

That's beautiful.

13. m72law

m72law New Member

AIMsurplus has remington 1903a3/smith corona a3s receiver & bolts for 129.95...pretty good price for a starter build ;)

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Good input thanks. Just wish they had receiver/barrel

15. m72law

m72law New Member

i have a yugo m48 receiver & matching bolt/barrel.(paid 75bucks for the rifle 3 years ago)...it was an all matching rifle,metal parts,stock,ect...but i flucked up and put it in a gheyazz ATI stock,sold the org. stock & all metal parts on evilbay a couple years back.:(.i want to have the barrel pulled & being i have a few extra bmg 1919 (7.62x51) barrels.these barrels are what i would call ''super bull barrels":D i would like to have it installed in the yugo....so im in the the same boat as you are Texwood...;) anyone know how much a basic barrel take off,barrel cut to fit recevier/action,rechambered,recrown would run?...sorry for the thread hijack Tex:eek:

16. losack

losack New Member

I've built 3. All were complete.

I've done one Yugo 48 made a great 6.5x55, one 98 in .308, and one 98 that had a great bore into an 8mm/06. I got lucky and one of my actions came from the Belgium factory. I could make it a magnum easily.

I'm constantly changing them or thinking about changing them.

17. texaswoodworker

That's a beautiful rifle. It turned out fantastic.

Sweet! I may go with the Springfield receiver instead. Their basically the same as the Mausers as far as quality and function go aren't they? Plus, I was going to replace the barrel, and possibly the trigger anyways, so that saves me a little money. :D

I'd like to see that. That would be awesome!

Sweet. How much do projects like that usually run you?

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I pay bout 300 for mine straight from Frankfurt. That's after a BIG shop discount though aaron

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

people source their Mauser actions from many sources. some scavenge old military rifles or Bubbafied backyard gunsmithed sporters. some source them new from several suppliers, but these are usually the most expensive sources to buy one from.

the nice thing if you plan on rebarreling, is the range of options in caliber selection. myself, if going the route of rebarreling an action and building a custom rifle from the ground up, i would go with a less common caliber than what was available commercially. that's just my thoughts.

yes pretty nice looking rifle. i bet that scope is worth more than the asking price though! those scopes were the prefered brand of the military and LE for many years a long time ago.