Matterhorn ~ A Novel on the Vietnam War

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PanBaccha, Apr 29, 2012.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

MATTERHORN ~ a novel on the Vietnam War by Karl Malantes. Ever hear of it? A vicarious absorption of horror and sublime human moments of jungle warfare.
    I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a detail account of military engagement at the hills of Matterhorn, as described brilliantly by Karl Malantes.
    :)

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you. That will be my next read.

3. yingpin

yingpin New Member

PanBacca,

I agree, that book was really a great read. I read that novel last year and it painted a picture of the war that showed how bad things were. It was a different perspective.

I read that novel after I read the WWII novel Unbroken by Laura Hilenbrand. If you have not read that one yet, pick it up and I would bet that you cant put it down. I was facinated by this book and some others thought that it was a fabrication of the truth of how brutal things were as a POW. I can't imagine how anyone can go throug the things they did.

4. VikingGuy

VikingGuy New Member

I am always on the lookout for something to read. Going to put these two on the list.

5. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Put it on my list.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

It will be on my reading list. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I normally steer clear of books about Vietnam because they hit too close to home...but maybe I'll give this one a look. I haven't read a Nam book since We Were Soldiers... and that one caused me a few sleepless nights.

8. winds-of-change

Upon going to Amazon to buy both books recommended in this thread I came across this book. It was actually written by the man who is the subject of Laura Hilenbrand's book, Louis Zamperini. You all might want to check this out, too. I ordered it along with the two other books recommended here. I already own "We Were Sodliers".

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-My-Heels-Olympians-Astonishing/dp/0062118854/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Here is another book I own that I recommend for a very insightful read from our men and women who were in Vietnam. Some made it back, some didn't.

http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Vietn...3900/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1335884098&sr=8-8

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

'Letters from Vietnam' was a documentary done by HBO showcase with an array of actors & actresses reading each of them.

10. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

Thanks for the heads up, but I prefer cowboy books. I didn't know any of them.:rolleyes:

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Could have gone without saying.
    Kinda pissed me off.

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Yea, another book about people killing people, that's all we get to read about ever since the bible was written. The bible, the most violent book ever written and taught in our churches to teach people how to get along with other people. Go figure...

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

yeah me too.

14. winds-of-change

My books arrived from Amazon today. Thanks for the suggestion.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Body Count by 1Lt William T. Huggett is the gold standard.

"Deep in the elephant grass, the wind never stirred... ."

Last edited: May 5, 2012