Massive failure to feeds G26 Gen4

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by wcohio, Nov 30, 2011.

1. wcohio

wcohio New Member

My glock 26 gen 4 9mm is brand new. I just chambered it the first time today. First time it failed to feed. I figured it was just because it was a hollowpoint round, so I tried again, and it failed again. I cycled thru a whole magazine of Hornady HP and they all failed to feed. Next up was a box of jacketed ammo. Every other round failed to feed. After the jam, I only needed to pull back slightly and release and the round fed the rest of the way. Don't see any obvious signs of wear on the feed ramp; looks brand new as it should. Any ideas what's going on?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Sounds like it could be the magazine. Do you have another magazine you could try?

3. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Tried two of the three factory mags that came with the gun... both with same results

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Hmmm, were you using the same brand of ammunition with the FMJ and the Hollow Points?

5. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Yeah, both are Hornady

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would recommend trying another brand of ammunition and see if that's the problem.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Were you shooting or just cycling the ammo through? Slightly riding the slide forward can and will induce malfunctuons like this.

8. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Isn't there a recall on the springs in the Gen 4s?

9. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Was shooting... not just cycling by hand... however, when chambering it jammed also. I pulled back on the slide all the way and let go. It's making me sick, honestly. I thought for sure this would be a decent auto. I recently got rid of a Taurus 9mm that was severely inaccurate, but at least it fed every time. I spent $550 on this Glock and it's not doing well so far.

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

So far it sounds like it could be either the particular ammunition given that it was the same brand or the feed ramp.

11. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Did you oil it before you shot if it's brand new than it probably I'm gessing that may be the problem

12. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

There is not a recall on the 26 or 27 because they had a double recoil spring on the Gen 3 and there was no change going to the Gen 4, however all other models do have a recall since the Gen 3 only had a single recoil spring and with the Gen 4 they have the double.

13. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Oil the spring. Rack the slide 20-30 times. Take spring out and clean. Replace. Should work perfectly:)

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

14. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Oiled really well and totally cleaned everything... shot fine thru 50 rounds with no jams... one round exploded and I didn't even realize it. I found the exploded brass on the ground and figured it was someone else's. After stripping it I found some fragments under the barrel. All rounds fed and ejected fine, though. All shots were on target.

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Sounds like improvement:)

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

16. wcohio

wcohio New Member

Yes it was very fun to shoot. I was amazed at how comfy this gun is despite being subcompact. It jumps right back on target after the shot. Don't even need the grip extension (although I wouldn't mind getting some 30rd mags for the house)

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Glad to hear it's feeding better. Sounds like it just needs to break in more. Use good ammo, Win white box at Walmart is good for practice.

I'd hang on to that "exploded" casing, maybe post a pic here too. Maybe take it where you bought the gun and ask them. Keep an eye on that, it's not normal if this is factory ammo. It could have fired while not fully chambered.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I to would like to see a pic of the " exploded" round

19. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I use American Eagle for plinking. My Glock is smooth as silk out of the box. With this much trouble I would at least give them a call and discuss it.

20. wcohio

wcohio New Member

I was at the range when I found the exploded casing on the ground when I was cleaning up the brass. I figured it was from someone else, so I just tossed it into the bin. But when cleaning you could clearly see the little bits of brass under the barrel. Next time I take it to the range I will bring my cam, but I'm scared someone's gonna knock it over while I'm shooting. I'm used to shooting outside, this was my first time to an indoor range. Can't find any outside spots here in Ohio like in Virginia.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011