Martial arts question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, Jul 29, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Alright guys, I know some of you study martial arts and I am interesting in learning some as well. In my immediate area there is a taekwondo school that offers a number of adult classes. The instructor is Christian which is a big plus for me but I wanted to get your opinion of this form and how it compares to others.
    They are also going to start a Brazilian jujitsu class to compliment the taekwondo.
    Thoughts?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spitty, my son started TKD (WTF) when he was 8 years old and earned his black belt at just over 12 years old. He competed until he was about 16 in tournaments all over the SE. As I was his driver to classes and tournaments, I got to see the art first hand and I was very impressed.

From what I saw during competitions, TKD was more focused on ending a fight quickly than dancing around with pretty forms. They also use the feet more than some other styles, although my son's teacher liked them to use LOTS of hand strikes...

3. spittinfire

The feet idea I like. Played soccer for 15 years and my legs have always been strong and quick. I really want to get into something, I just have to come up with the extra $$ each month.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My son was really very fast and had great feet. I saw him throw a jump spinning tornado kick once in a tournament and his opponent fell down trying to get out of the way and he about pee'd himself. Some of the kicks they trained on were freaking awesome.

These were great years for me & the boy, traveling every weekend to various tournaments and having a blast...

5. spittinfire

I forgot to ask this. How well can this take the place of my current exercise routine? I'm running 4 miles, 3 days a week and lifting weights for an hour 3 days a week. I don't slack off either, 7:30 pace is the slowest run and the longest break I take while lifting is to walk to the water fountain and back.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Really depends on the school you attend. My son's dojo was VERY physically demanding with lots of pushups, situps, and cardio work. His black belt test took over 3 hours and during one phase he had to defend himself against 3 attacking brown belts for 10 minutes non-stop...

7. spittinfire

They have 2 hour sessions twice a week and other times when you can come in if you want to get extra practice.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You want to stay in shape, fight like real people fight on the streets and in CBC confrontations and situations, hand to hand or weapon, and not take years to learn real defensive and offensive moves, strikes and punches, taught and instructed to all SOF branches around the world. You want to end a physical conflict quickly...or dance around kicking and waving your arms there Mr. former Marine?

Israeli Krav Maga, period, nuff said! :cool:

You live in NC there are training Dojos around you somewhere.

[​IMG]

Jack

9. spittinfire

Looked into krav maga but the closest place I could find was an hour one way. I don't have that much time to spend driving. I would love study it but it's just not available to me at the moment.

The martial arts training we got in the Marines was similar, end the fight and move on.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are benefits to all styles. Few are comprehensive. The two you mention (TKD and BJJ) are opposite ends of the spectrum in their pure forms. TKD being a striking/kicking art and BJJ being a grapling/pinning art.

I started in TKD in College and got into Aikido. High kicks look cool, but my bosses and the FBI tend to frown on such kicks. Aikido is a purely defensive art, but with an offensive background I find it easy to use Aikido in an offensive way. I find no need to strike, I simply let the ground do the striking.

My Aikido Instructor puts it this way;

There is martial arts sport
    martial arts conditioning
    martial arts competition
    martial arts art
    martial arts business

You have to find the style and school that fit your needs.

11. spittinfire

I did talk to the instructor for about 20 minutes the other night and one of the adult classes has a lot of former military men in it. They try to take what everyone has learned and focus on realistic self defense. This also gets combined with the TKD. He made it clear that they weren't trying to train for MMA, which I have no interest in, but for real world use.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I suspected as much:

Robo Seagal!

13. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm a big fan of TKD myself, a lot of the grabs and holds and what not, are perfect for encounters, and it's not reliant on any structure to perform. In all fairness, it's the only one I have ever studied.

14. ChadCollins

ChadCollins New Member

Tae Kwon Do is an excellent work out that builds muscle as well as discipline. It is more for self-defense then attacking. I did it about 15 years ago, wish I would do it now. :(

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You could try Samozashchita Bez Oruzhiya.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_UXpgOZ9eo]YouTube - Old Sambo Video[/ame]

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Here's something a friend of mine put together a few years ago. It's quite a read, but well worth it. :)

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I also have my opinions about various arts based on my personal experience, but you just can't tell by the name these days what people are actually doing. !!! Unless it's ATA TKD. If it is ATA tkd don't even think about joining them!!

My personal favorite way of training is for self defense purposes and incorporating any weapons you might have or run into in various situations. Keep it as real as possible. That means YOU WILL get hit, possibly ko'd, but also keep it safe.

I'm going to start making some self defense/promotional videos sometime in the future so you guys can see what I do and how we train.

Don't waste time in a school that wants you to sign contracts, hits nothing but air, and teaches you a new kata/form every couple of weeks. ;)

As you might have guessed, I have ALOT to say about this subject. :D

18. atm7819

atm7819 New Member

Very good information given so far. I will just add that not all TKD schools are created equal. Some give black belts out to anyone who attends class and tries to learn the techniques. Others make you actually earn the black belt. Both have their place, you just have to decide what you actually want to get out of TKD.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My kids went to a very good (We thought) TKD school. Ran by a former Female Olympic gold medalist and first american female gold in tkd. We later found out that it was a belt factory as long as you signed up for the 1 or 2 year contract and paid upfront. My buddy is getting ready to drop $3900 on a 2 year 1st degree bb to a 2nd degree bb. His kid is good but he can't do the jump kicks because he can't jump.

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Give us a list of your other options, if there are any.

See if this school offers a trial period. Most offer a month trial, and throw in a free uniform.

DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT.

Do not attend an ATA school. These places are where the term "McDojang" originated.

You're a tall slim one, and the art is kick oriented. Flexibility is gonna be your most important asset here.

If you're lifting heavy, stop. Go light and higher reps. Speed is going to be where your power comes from.

See if you can find out the school's organizational affiliation, and let us know.