Marlin XT22tr?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by HotFudge, Sep 29, 2011.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

2. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

3. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

I love it! Who wouldn't love up to 25 rounds in a bolt gun!!!

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like it would do the job. The Marlins are known for good accuracy and reliability. Adjustable trigger sounds nice too.

5. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Anyone know what kind of rounds this thing likes?

6. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I haven't shot an XT yet but I have pulled the trigger on one. It was very nice. It was better than the Savage AccuTrigger IMO and that's pretty good. It was smoother and lighter. I've always thought the triggers were the weak link on the Marlins and now they have fixed that problem it appears. Funny but a guy who claimed to "know" a Marlin rep was on the Rimfire board a couple of years ago asking for comments on how to improve the Marlins. The one thing he said was his friend knew they would never go for a better, lighter trigger. Yeah right. Everyone wanted one but they wouldn't do it? Guess that wasn't such good info.

I'd have to shoot an XT to know for sure but I have 4 Marlins now and 3 of them shoot very well. I have one bolt action version, the 925, and for some reason it's the only one that doesn't shoot all that great. It shoots ok but not like other bolt action .22's I own. It doesn't even shoot as well as my 2 60's. Every rifle is different I guess. I've always suspected a new trigger would help it a lot.

I do need to point out that I've had TWO trigger guards ordered as warranty replacements for months now (one has been ordered for 5 months and the other 4). Marlin actually gave me a bunch of crap about reporting that they broke. A CS rep did call me back and apologize but still no replacements. Both of those trigger guards were defective right from the start IMO and I doubt a new one would be any different. I bought an aluminum one from DIP along with a trigger and it's much better than the original. The other tg still works but it should never have broke the way it did. It's on a 795 and the plastic around the mag well is way too thin. The other was on my 60SS and it was made of some super cheap plastic that just crumbled when I tried to take it off my rifle. It felt like a dirt clod crumbling or something.

Things aren't the best at Marlin right now. If they were I'd already have an XT.

7. big shrek

CCI/Blazer is where I start. After a box of 500, you know where you stand ;)
    Wolf Match will getcha punching single-hole runs small as a dime @ 50 yards, if you can do your part

Each rifle is slightly different, due to individual metallurgical singularities...and therefore handles each ammo slightly differently.
    Micro-groove barrels like FAT Jacketed bullets most of all, or Paco Kelly's tool will adjust 'em for premium target use ;)

8. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I'm posting this so it's easier for me to find this thread on my iPhone as I do research on this firearm before buying it no questions yet

9. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Okay now I have a question being that it is a Tube Feeding system that feeds shorts .Long's .and long rifles has anybody had issues feeding ammo I will be doing some research on the tube fed design

10. kaido

kaido New Member

I've never shot the tube fed version of this rifle, but I do own the mag fed one. The shorts are the only ones that I've had trouble getting to feed properly, everything else went off with out a "GET IN THERE ALREADY!!"

11. big shrek

benefits of tube feed mags...
    Ya almost Never forget your mag at home on range day...lol
    holds shorts, longs, or LR's...feeds all equally, and can feed all three in the same tube...
    (note: shorts might not cycle the bolt, but that's expected...close-range rat killing ammo anyway...)
    make some home-made reloaders Cheap...or get a Spee-D-Loader...under $20 anyway...lol

Once you get used to using a reloader on a tube mag, you can load faster than the average 1022 owner can fumble with his...

12. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Anybody know where I can get fiber optic sites for this gun I know what to get the tech sites but that's not what I want

13. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

And I don't want to scope I want iron sights 30 have a 22 with the scope

14. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Already hav a 22 with the scope

15. big shrek

Brownell's carries Firesights by Marbles, good stuff :)
    Model 60 sights fit the XT line...

16. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Thank you I will look into this

17. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have one. Great little rifle. It with chamber and shoot both 22LR and shorts with no problems.

[​IMG]

18. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Got a chance to test fire one of these really freaking nice accurate reliable and the shorts feedthrough like nothing Everyone Once in a a while a shell will go straight up and back into the chamber Function the bolt fast and it'll never happen

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have shot two Marlin XT 22 MR. A landowner owns one he lets me borrow to hunt predators on his property. I liked it so much I bought one for myself. The 22MR has a 4 shot and a 7 shot box type magazine. The first XT-22MR I got shot very high. I sent it back to remlin and they replaced it without any hassle. It took about 2 weeks to get the new rifle on my doorstep. Now that I have shot the rifle enough to get used to it and the barrel broke in my regular steel targets are not a challenge. I shoot golf balls and 12 ga hulls for practice at around 100 yards. I don't know if you already have a 22LR. If you do I would splurge and get the 22 wmr. The 22 wmr has about double the range of a 22LR. It has about the same energy at the muzzle as 9mm pistol. I shot a fox in the head with a Hornady Vmax. The Vmax just about blew the side of his head off. It was windy and the fox was over a 100 yards away, I would have to get lucky to hit the fox at all with a 22 LR. At 100 yards the 22 LR drops about 6". Another advantage of the 22 WMR is landowners don't object to me hunting with it. They all object to me using a 5.56 x 45. I am not out there to educate landowners. I just want to hunt with as little hassle as possible.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  20. big shrek

I'll agree, a Marlin 25MN got me hooked on Marlin rifles, due to its unreal precision with 40- & 50-grain ammo :)
    It'll eat anything, but truly shines with big fat bullets!!
    Microgroove barrels have a tendancy towards larger ammo due to the lands & grooves being smaller...there being 12 instead of 6...
    but when you find the rifle's favorite combo...it just puts the bullet wherever you put the crosshairs :)