Marlin XL7

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Thinking about getting the Marlin X7 in .25-06. I need some kind of .25 (.257) caliber to fill the gap between my .244 and my 7x57 (.284). At least that is as good an excuse as any to buy a new rifle. The .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts are hard to find, and when you do find one, they are usually pretty expensive, and the .257 Weatherby has just too much power for me. I am really not crazy about synthetic stocks, but I have read a lot of good things about the accuracy, quality price of these Marlins. Plus, I believe they are all American made, at least that is what I read.
    Boyds sells a completely finished drop in wood stock for this model for around $100. One could always get the wood stock at a later date if he got tired of the synthetic.
    I tried the search function and when I typed in Marlin, hundreds of posts came up, but I could not find much on the XL7.
    Anyone have this model? How do you like it? Is the quality good for the price range? Anyone replace the stock w/ a Boyds (or other make)?
    cottontop

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Low cost. Seems to sell and work well and there are more than a few reviews if you google it. Guess the 25-06 is your choice with the marlin. . But if you want that 257 roberts.-http://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html#AmericanStandardRifle

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I love my Marlin XS7 in 308. BTW, XS7 is short action and XL7 is long action. The 25-06 is a great cartridge. It all depends on what you want it to do. Price and availability of ammo is always a concern of mine. The Marlin X7 line is a great choice.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Marlin

Thanks for the info. The price and availability of .25-06 ammo doesn't really bother me as I will reload for it anyway. Cases are easy to make from .270 or 30-06 brass. Slow burning powders are readily available, as well as 25 caliber bullets. You convinced me. I see a Marlin XL7 .25-06 in my near future.
    cottontop

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have one in every caliber made in them now including one not on the market yet. They are cheap, well made, very dependable and accurate weapons. I havent changed my stocks yet but i think they would work just as well in wood as in synthetic

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Have a couple of Stevens 200s, a Savage Edge/Axis and one each of the Marlin XL/XS rifles. All are fairly accurate rifles, but think my Marlins to be slightly more accurate. Consider my Marlins a better rifle right out of the box, since it has a much better trigger that is adjustable. Prefer the safety on my Marlins more and while no big thing, Marlin bolt removal is easier too.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Marlins can be alot more accurate than the edge/axxis. Mainly bc of the trigger and the stock differences.

8. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I've always shyed from the barrel nut concept. What's your take.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I like it. Its a good idea and very sturdy platform if done properly. Its how i made my 7.82 barrels interchangable. I used my mentors patent of a two twist lock nut. Only problem i have w lock nuts is the savages ridges on the outside.

10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The X-7 series comes pillar-bedded from the factory, along with a factory-installed recoil pad...and an adjustable target trigger.
    Bloody amazing they only cost $299 for the basic model...

I truly LOVE Boyd's Stocks...if I had more cash, every Marlin rifle I own except two would wear 'em!
    Always, Always, Always bed a new stock to your action, pillar in the least, full bed at most.
    Reason being, it just helps 'em perform better with your action screws are at the same torque every time.
    no up/down variation...and if you do it right, no side-to-side, either :D

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The boyds can be ordered bedded and beaded. Just depends on which one you want as to if the sell em that way.

12. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

theropinfool,
    I personally don't like the looks of a the Savage/Marlin barrel nut, but it sure makes swapping out barrels and headspacing them easy. New Ruger American rifle seems to have its version of a barrel nut that looks better to me. Gent I shoot with on a regular basis has had two Remington 700 actions rebarreled using so called Rem-nuts. In other words, a Savage/Marlin type barrel/barrel nut, but using a Remington action. He is happy with them. If he wants to try another barrel/cartridge with the Remington actions, now much easier for him to rebarrel the rifles himself without needing a gunsmith.
    By the way, one of these rifles is the proverbial tack driver, other is certainly above average when it comes to accuracy, but owner sure the barrel nut is not the problem with it. As for me, had bought a new Stevens 200 for a very low price, $179. But, wasn't in a cartridge I particularly cared for. I'd eventually rebarrel it to a cartridge/barrel contour I wanted without needing a gunsmith to do work, simply because of the barrel nut. Able to order a Savage threaded type barrel in a cartridge and barrel contour I wanted and could install it myself. Only needed to only borrow a Savage Barrel Nut Wrench from a friend at range I shoot.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got an XL7 in 30-06 and for what it is, it's a fantistic rifle. Shoots a sub 1" group at 100 yards with cheap factory loads, POI doesn't change even with the barrel so hot you can't touch it and for the price you can't beat that performance. Stock finish is OK, blue is OK but nothing special. I bought mine strickly for deer hunting so I knew it would get taken thru the woods and finish wasn't that important. I also like the recoil pad. For a light rifle it really soaks up the recoil and is comfortable to shoot all day.

14. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

That's interesting. When I want a different caliber I get to buy a new gun. :)