Marlin XL7 v. XS7

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by V3ritas_A3quitas, Jul 20, 2010.

1. V3ritas_A3quitas

V3ritas_A3quitas New Member

The only major difference is the short v long action correct, and this mainly concerns the differences in ammo?

Definitely thinking about getting one in .308 which would be the Marlin XS7.

Anyone shot/owned one? Do you recommend it?

Looking towards the future for my next gun, a bolt action.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I had an XL-7 in .270 and was extremely impressed with it. It shot as good as rifles costing 2-3 times what it cost. The only reason I don't still have it is because I gave it to a close friend. I'm going to buy a XS-7 in 7mm08 as soon as I can afford it. I have an elk hunt to pay for 1st.

3. chessycreek

chessycreek New Member

I have a XS-7 in 7mm08 and find it more accurate than my daughter's Savage in the same caliber. Last year my long shot was 225 yards on a 140 pound doe. One shot through both sholders.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I prefer the XL7/.30-06, but I'm also a pretty big & strong fella who can take the abuse of the recoil.
    The factory recoil pad puts it down to about the same as a Marlin 336 .30-30 with an old brown recoil pad from the 50's.
    At least, that's how it feels to me!! ;)

Since we have Black Bear in the South, it's a handy caliber to have.

5. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm looking at getting an XS7 .308 and was wondering if there's anything you all can tell me about it. This will be my first rifle and I may do some hunting with it. Is there anything specific that I need to watch out for with this rifle and are there any others in the $300 price range that are better?

6. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I have the XL7, .25-06 and love it...I would like a X7 in .308 though and I think you'll be very happy with it. I have "better" rifles but would be hard-pressed to say any of them shoot better than my Marlin.

7. big shrek

In that price range...nothing even comes close.

The only thing you'll do is burn thru a few boxes of different types of ammo to see which your particular rifle shoots best.

Keep a Log Book, and notate how they all act, paying particular attention to the Cold Bore Zero.
    (Where the first shot on a cold barrel goes)
    First shot of the day at a critter is usually Cold Bore...sometimes very cold bore in Northen Areas;)

8. Angry_bald_guy

Yeah, I'm looking at one for deer season and the farm I'm planning on hunting on gets down around 25 in the early morning hours...

So other than breaking it in with rounds, is there any setup that I should take it to a gunsmith for or is it pretty much good to go?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  9. big shrek

Not a thing...it already has an adjustable trigger...
    and its Pillar Bedded at the Factory...
    and it already has a pretty nice Soft-Tech Recoil Pad...
    comes with scope mount...
    Fluted bolt looks nice :)

If you can attach a Sling & Scope & set it all by yourself...not really anything else needed.

Well...maybe a Bipod, but that's another easy installation :)

10. poncaguy

poncaguy New Member

Check out a Savage Edge too..........I think a little better......except for the trigger. You can;t go wrong with either............

11. Angry_bald_guy

Changing my mind again...

What about a Mossberg 100 ATR? It has the adjustable trigger, good feel to it and the bolt is smooth as silk...

12. poncaguy

poncaguy New Member

I had Mossberg ATR's, sold them after I got my Marlins. Going to shoot my Marlin and Edge 7-08's tomorrow and see who wins...........troube is, suppose to be 102 2morrow............My ATR's were good too, probably better now with hte new triggers........all 3 are great buys.....I really love the way the Edge feels in my hands and shoulders....

13. castelljohn

castelljohn New Member

How about "switch-barrels"

Using the Savage or Marlin makes for an ideal switch-barrel rifle for all sorts of use which I find most interesting. Using the short action version of either rifle..you could have barrels in calibers of, for instance, 22-250, 250 Savage, 260 Rem or 7-08, 308, and 338 Federal.

Just some thoughts for you folks to persue. I can see lots of advantages with one rifle and various barrels for the particular game you might be hunting!

What say y'all?

Regards,

Ol' John

14. tookalisten

tookalisten New Member

I bought the XL-7 in .270 for my daughter for deer hunting. Put a Nikon Buckmaster series scope on it and after sighting it in, I almost didn't give it to her. It is a great rifle for the money. I would definitely buy one again. Plus, she took 2 deer with it last year - I'll never get it from her now.

15. intervention_M200

intervention_M200 New Member

i'm in the process myself of buying an XS7 .308

how bout that bipod? easy? do i need anything additional for it?

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have three of the Marlin's, an XL7 in 25-06, an XS7 in 7mm-08 and an XS7VH in 308, it has the heavier and longer barrel. these are some of the best entry level rifles to come on the market in a long time. the Savage Axis line are good rifles too, but i prefer the X7's over them just because of how they feel and balance to me. the Mossberg ATR100 is a decent and accurate rifle, (i had one in 30-06) but the recoil is more pronounced than the Marlin or the Savage. if just hunting, any of the three would work fine, but if target shooting, pick the Marlin or the Savage. my 308 shoots great and is very accurate. the Mossberg 30-06 with handloads i had, would make one ragged hole at 100 yards, but would punish your shoulder in the process. i have shot a friends Savage's and was impressed with the accuracy but like the ergonomics of the Marlin better.

17. ianred1

ianred1 New Member

Check out the remington sendero in 300 ultra mag.awesome gun. Nothing more accurate in the remington line

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the remington sendero is a fine rifle and remingtons have an excellent reputation as very accurate rifles, but the sendero's MSRP is $1450, so you might get one for $1200. i don't know if the OP was wanting to spend that much on just the rifle. but if so, then that would be a good choice if he's willing to spend that much.