Marlin No. 24 12 Gauge, Questions

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by blackdouglas, Nov 17, 2012.

1. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

OK guys, I have the general background. Marlin No. (Model) 24 12 gauge shotgun. I believe it was made between 1909-1910. The barrel is about 19 inches, so I assume somebody shaved her down a little? I know that some think they're a dangerous gun, but I cleaned this one and found nothing wrong with her, so I put her through her paces on the range and she was as good as our modern issued ones.
    I'm looking for.....

History.
    Grade.
    Anything interesting.

Attached Files:

2. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I will check my source books when I get home today. In the meantime, have you went running around the internet?

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Looks like the same as one of sons has. He's kinda a Marlin collector. The barrel on his has not been cut but otherwise looks very much like yours. Marlin did make several models that looked quite similar.

4. TDS92A

@Blackdouglas,

Unfortunately all that I can tell you is this; the Marlin Model 24 was introduced in 1908 and discontinued in 1915. They came in four grades. If you go to your local book store and get a copy of the "Thirty - Third Edition, Blue Book of Gun Values by S.P. Fjestad, turn to page 1245, down at the bottom of the page and you will see the values. They range from $140.00 to $1375.00. Without actually holding the weapon I cannot give youa value. In my estimation she is worth around $500.00. This is based soley on the pictures.

I hope that this helps you.

5. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I went and hunted, FINALLY found a site that says mine is a B grade because it has the checkered stock and pump. The A's were plain-jane, C's had filigreeing, while the D's, which were the high class ones, had gold and silver worked into them.

6. TDS92A

I would hold onto her no matter what grade she is. She appears to be in beautiful condition. :D

7. blackdouglas

blackdouglas New Member

LOL! No worries there. I buy stuff to keep. I am a history geek, especially when it comes to guns from before Korea. But the guy I bought it off said it was used in a Detroit prison, so as a cop, I just had to have it.

8. TDS92A

There are many reasons to collect. Being a cop is just as good as any other. :D