Marlin model 80.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by flyingbrickracing, Jan 4, 2010.

1. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I was in my favorite LGS looking for a handgun(found one) and mentioned I was looking for a bolt action 22 also.

They had an older(and somewhat worn looking )Stevens and a Cricket that didn't really spark my interest.
    I put a deposit on the pistol and was heading for the door when the Guy at the copunter remembers one he took in on trade and hadn't had the chance to tag and put out.

Needless to say I have a mod.80 to go with my mod.60
    It's in very good shape and came with a Marlin "Micro-vue" 4x scope.
    I did a quick search and didn't find much so any info would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

I know nothing about it but it sure is a nice looker, love the coloring on the stock.

Congrats.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Unfortunately I don't know anything about it, but it sure is handsome.

4. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

Yeah, i really like that semi tiger ish look to it....very nice find. i like when the scopes look old and worn too with the wood but are at least still functional as i hope that one is for ya.....

here's a link on the mod 80...might help with some background info on it...

Marlin Model 80 DL

5. flyingbrickracing

Thanks Mack,I does help some as I had never even seen a mod 80 untill I bought this one
    I plan on checking that out a little more.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  6. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Brick that sure is a good looking Marlin..:)

7. flyingbrickracing

Thanks everyone,It is very clean with no marks or digs in the stock and the bore is bright.The blue is just as good with the only noticeable wear being on the saftey.
    I probably paid too much at $185.00 + tax($200.00 out the door) but it was just that nice.
    I love the old scope as well.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You have an AWESOME little rifle there. My Great Grandfather bought one new and it now belongs to my dad. It left Marlin with a little scope on it and to this day it will hold a nickle group at 30 yards. It starts to open up after that but you can't see what you're aiming at. Put better optics on it and I'm sure the group would stay tight.

I have been looking for information on this rifle as well but have been able to find little. You're trigger guard matches mine but the wood is totally different. I wouldn't be surprised if yours has been refinished but I could be wrong. The trigger guard has something to do with the model designation but I haven't figured that out yet. The floor plate for your magwell isn't attached to the guard is it?
    The price is higher then most I've seen but with the scope and the fact it's in better shape, I think you did well.

Sorry I can't do anything but muddy the water but I would love to find a rifle like that to add to my collection.

9. flyingbrickracing

All the ones I have found on line have had a much lighter stock ,and I think you may be right as to the stock being a replacement as the front screw seems to be put in crooked and there is traces of wood stain on the white trim at the buttplate and grip.
    BTW the floor plate is not attatched to the trigger guard.

10. spittinfire

Looking at it again, check the gold parts. Are they plated or painted? The only thing different about yours and mine is the gold trigger(mine is chrome), the gold on the scope(mine is black) and there is no texture on my scope.

Still a great looking rifle. Have you shot it yet?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  11. flyingbrickracing

Not yet but maybe tomorrow,I'm bringing it to work to show a friend (he knows a bit and has helped me in the past,and I want to show it off) and the club I belong to is about a mile down the road.
    I believe the trigger is plated but I'm not sure (it's locked up down it the basement) but I'll check.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The Marlin 80, and it's tube fed cousin, the 81, were some tack driving hunting grade 22s at a very reasonable price. They started making the 80 in 1934, for 5 years, but also made an 80E from 34-40- that one had a peep rear sight. There was also an 80C and an 80 DL. Stocks a bit different, DL had peeps, the C model was made until 1970. There were a coupla different trigger guards depending on when it was made.

13. flyingbrickracing

Made it to the range today and I think she's got potential!:D

I used the indoor range and could only shoot 50 feet(our outdoor ranges are currently closed) but that was enough to get and Idea of how she'll do father out.

By the time she was warmed up I was shooting 5 rnd groups the size of a quarter and the last one fit into a dime.(I'll post a range report after I scan the targets in)

The only problem was a recuring failure to eject,the case would pull out of the chamber but stay with the bolt,found that if I pushed up on the magazine (it's pretty loose) that it started to eject.

I think I'm going to replace the scope as it is small and hard to get a good sight picture,and its older and linda neat and I don't want to ruin it.

14. spittinfire

Thanks for the information!

Sounds like you had a good time. The original mag in mine is loose and you have to wiggle it in but a new mag fixed that problem. I never had any feeding or ejection issues with either.

15. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

That is the original stock and it is a later made 80. The earlier ones had plainer stocks then the later ones and did not have the pistol grip cap or the montecarlo stock

16. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

You also have a walnut stock - shown by both the wonderful color and the Marlin "Bullseye" button in the heel of the stock. The cheaper birch stocks were lighter and had no "Bullseye".
    My Model 80DL is an earlier model, no scope grooves (makes it pre-mid-fifties) and has a heftier 'adult-sized' stock. I have mine set up with a Lyman peep rear sight and a globe front sight - a "poor man's target rifle", hehehe.

Gotta love those old Marlins - I have nine of them! ;)

17. Yaknow

Yaknow New Member

Marlin 80

I remember my mother buying dad's (now mine) 81DL new @ Montgomery Ward in 1957. No tiger wood & has the bullseye in buttstock. Trigger guard is not looped like yours, just semi-circular. Drilled & tapped on top for something Marlin called a "target disk". Was gonna scope it but was told the bolt handle comes up to high so the scope would have to be set way to high for a .22, or the handle would have to be redone. Gonna get a benchrest soon & see what it can do--it's in darn near new condition. Never, & I mean never, did it see a day of use w.o. a good cleaning.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  18. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

That should have the 3/8th grooves in the receiver right for a scope? Both my 80's a DL and a Sears Marked 80 have the scope grooves on the receiver and I have a target scope mounted on one with 3/8th to Weaver blocks on it to raise the scope but the Sears one has just a Bushnell one inch tube 22 scope on it and the bolt clears just fine with standard medium rings. It should be micro grooved barrel too. I am pretty sure by 57 they had the grooved receivers and the micro grooved barrels. I have read several places that in 57 they started grooving the receivers for scopes.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  19. Yaknow

Yaknow New Member

Marlin model 80

Ah oh! I lied big x on that thread. Just took 'er out o' the cabinet & it's not an 80, it's an 81DL-S-L-LR. It's not grooved--it has 4 holes drilled/tapped off to the side @ about the 10:00 position. Not sure on the barrel grooves--I do know they are a lot deeper than any other rifle I own. Sorry for that mess up.

20. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

Well I have read several places the 3/8th grooved receivers came in around 57 but then your gun maybe an earlier one in 57. 81 0r 80 they are both great accurate rifles.