Marlin Model 60 vs Ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by neil-v1, Aug 19, 2010.

1. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

I am heading out to buy a .22 rifle today and I have settled on one of two models. I am either buying a Marlin Model 60 or a Ruger 10/22 and I am hoping to get a last minute opinion or two off the board here. I am leaning toward the Marlin right now. I plan on using the gun for small game hunting only and not for plinking and I have no interest in add ons of any kind besides a scope. What gun out of the two is just the best shooter? Thanks.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Both guns are good shooters,but I do prefer the Ruger.I prefer the magazine over the tube on the Marlin 60.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I also have a couple of each of those firearms and I probably buy another 10/22 first. Lots of after market option with the 10/22.

4. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

I own a 10/22 and a Marlin 795 (same action as the 60, but uses 10 round detachable mags). I bought the 10/22 because of all of the aftermarket parts available. It was a pretty good shooter out of the box, but my plan all along was a fluted BBL and aftermarket stock (along with some other goodies). My 795 is simply set up with tech-sights (also available for the 60 if you don't go with a scope) and is more accurate out of the box than the Ruger was. If you want to customize your gun, get the Ruger, if you want a good shooter out of the box, the Marlin might be just a slightly better value.

I love my Ruger because it is a literal tack-driver at 25yds, but I have a lot more money in it than my Marlin, which I like because of it's value (paid $108 after rebate, added $75 sights) and out of box accuracy.

5. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

I ended up getting the Marlin 795. Just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods. The paperwork and checking took over 40 mins. before I got to walk out with the gun. I decided I liked the idea of having extra clips pre loaded over the tube feed of the model 60. Seems like a great gun. Can't wait to fire it. Thanks for the help.

6. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

Oh yeah, the price was $129.95. Also grabbed a box of 38 special ($19.99)since I was at a store that actually had them in stock.

7. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Wasnt there a rebate with the purchase of the 795? I got a $25 rebate when I bought mine a few months ago.

8. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

No, they told me the rebate ended. I may call them just to double check. Thanks.

9. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Bummer! I got mine for $99.99 after rebate. I am still to get rebate back though:confused:

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I also have both the Marlin 60 and the Ruger 1022. My Ruger is the "WallyMart Special 1022 Rifle", with longer rifle stock and 22" barrel, so I can compare 'rifle to rifle', vs. 'rifle to carbine'.
    The Ruger has a better 'feel' to me, as I have longarms and a large frame - the Marlin is more slender.
    But the Marlin was definitely the better shooter. It is also more forgiving of getting dirty - those Ruger magazines gunk up with lower grade ammo!
    I did give the Ruger a trigger-group polish and spring change - mainly due to the trigger group falling out one day while cleaning, so I says, "Heck, lets do her right!" Makes a big difference in trigger feel! No more lawyer trigger!
    Both have had stocks refinished - I just don't like the current Ruger and Marlin finishes on their birch stocks. Otherwise, bith rifles remain in stock form.

11. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

great choice. I bought mine at dick's too, and it is a painfully slow (sometimes silly) process to buy a gun at Dick's here. I only buy guns there if its a super deal (like my marlin was).

Rebate runs through the end of the year, they were probably just out of the cards.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/PDFs/2010springcoupon.pdf

enjoy your gun!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010