Marlin model 60 tips

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by davva360, Jul 25, 2012.

1. davva360

davva360 New Member

Think I am going to get a model 60 for plinking and to teach my son. Anyone have any experience with them?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Fantastic rifle. It was second on my list behind my S&W 15-22.

3. billt

billt New Member

I'm currently shooting 2 of them. A standard Model 60 from the 80's, and a newer 50th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Model, with a checkered Walnut Stock, nice rubber butt pad, gold trigger, and special serial numbers. What I find amazing about this gun is the fact Marlin has made and sold over 11 MILLION of them! If you think about that for a minute, it amounts to over 602 rifles a day, 7 days a week, for 50 years! Some places like Davidson's still have the 50th Anniversary Deluxe Models still avaliable, and they really aren't that much more money for a much nicer looking gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

what he said..^.. theres a reason they sold so many. they are a great semi auto .22. very accurate right out of the box. easy to maintain. personally i would start with a bolt action rifle to start teaching with. but thats your call. the marlin60 is a good rifle.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I still have mine from the early 1980's. It is a great little rifle. I did have to replace the buffer in it recently. I added some peep sights by tech sights.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You'll love it!

Got mine for $39 new in 1966. (I think)

You have several years of fun ahead of you.

[​IMG]

7. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Mine is older than me (by only 3 years) its good little gun, easy to keep running, for all kinds of info and tips goto http:/www.rimfirecentral.com

8. Rattlesnak32

Rattlesnak32 New Member

I have an ar 15 and several shotguns and other rifles and my Marlin 60 has to be my favorite gun to shoot . I recently added a dragonuv style stock and a 3-9x zoom scope. It it very accurate, dependable, and affordable to shoot. With routine cleaning I have shot over ten thousand rounds and I rarely have problems with jamming. A great gun I would reccomend to anyone, especially younger shooters.

9. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Don't shoot it to fast iv had to replace the recoil spring 2 times

10. davva360

davva360 New Member

Hear what you are saying about learning on a bolt action. I figure I will just load one at a time to begin with and start loading more once he is more competent. I realize it's not the perfect gun for loading one at a time but I figure he can grow into it more.

11. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Marlin 60

Great gun,I have 2, and they are my go to guns. I shoot Remington Sub-Sonics and CCI Standard Velocity and they eject fine. There is no reason to shoot the hyper velocity from them. Enjoy:) Cliff. BTW call if U have any questions 978-4240-7024

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. moron88

moron88 New Member

better yet, load the mag with cci quiets. they cost a little more than standard bricks and bulk ammo but they dont cycle the action and, as their name says, they are quiet.

when you go to the gun shop, take a peek at the used 60's. they will probably have at least a couple. reason being, some people are having issues with the new stock. issues very from simple fit and finish issues all they way to canted barrels. the older guns (pre-'88) have 18 round tubes and guns made between '85 and '88 have both, the 18 round tube and the last shot hold open. i'm running a '78 that i got with rust on the barrel for $100.

13. Model70

Model70 Member

When I bought mine, the gentleman behind the counter recommended against lead ammo. He said it shaves off lead when it puts it in the chamber and will make them jam.

I've only ever run Federal Premium and CCI through mine. It's always shot great. Keeps the pests out of my garden at least.

14. moron88

moron88 New Member

he's full of it. all .22lr rounds are lead, some just have a plating. if it's going to shave, it'll shave that plating too. i've been shooting winchester wildcats and the only jams are from issues with the ammo's qc.

15. billt

billt New Member

And at most that "plating" consists of a copper wash only about .0002" thick, (read 2/10,000ths.)

16. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

Excellent rifle. I have two 22 rifles and the marlin is great, the other is a ruger 1022 TD. The marlin always performs. I have the stainless model with the black stock.
    As for the lead ammo shaving, it does and does a lot. I have to literally pry off the lead shavings after I take it to the range. I normally shoot between 500 and 800 rounds through it per trip.
    The same happens to my ISSC MK22, the lead accumulates at the end of the muzzle, pretty cool stuff. However, it is not as bad with plated ammo such as the velocities and minima's.
    Just my $0.02
    jim

17. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

forgot to mention that my 10yr old loves this rifle as he does my AR15 .223 with 24" barrel and he handles it well at 100yds LOL. He does like the simplicity of the Marlin though.

18. davva360

davva360 New Member

I will be picking up an SR9c and a Marlin model 60 tomorrow. Can't wait to get to the range sometime next week.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Marlin M60, one of the best semi auto 22 rifles out there for the price.are there better and more accurate semi auto 22 rifles than the Marlin? probably, but you will have to spend a bunch more to find out!

mine was made in the early 1980's, 18 round tube magazine, no LSHO feature, birch wood stock and marked as a Glenfield Marlin. picked it up at my LGS for $70, shot great, looked like crap. refinished the wood and metal, bought a set of rings for the grooved reciever, added a Simmons 3-9x40 scope i already had, and still less than $100 in it! shoots great. lots of fun too.

20. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Great choices. you won't be disappointed.