Marlin model 60 love or hate

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bwalka, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Whats your opinion on it

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Neither, I simply like it. Nothing special to me, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it any day.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Stop by the intro threads and tell us a bit about yourself when you get the chance!

3. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I have 2 model 60's and I just got a new mossberg tactical 22 today. There picky with ammo is my only problem with them

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've had an old Glenfield/Model 60 since the early 70's,it was my first semi-auto rifle.There's no tellin how many rounds that have been fired out of that rifle.
    It finally got so dirty that it wouldn't fire.I stripped it down and gave it a good scrubbing,and it shoots just like new.It sets next to the front door,ready to take care of any varmints,coyotes that come passing through the pasture in front of the house.

5. bwalka

bwalka New Member

That's the problem people have with them. They shoot it till it gunked and don't work and then trash it or sell it away for cheap. That's how I got one of mine for free

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's a great gun.

7. bwalka

bwalka New Member

Yea it's a great gun and can hold it's own with makers like remmington an the ruger 10/22. One of mine is topped with a 3-9x40 scope and can hit cans at 100+ yards all day long.

8. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Love my model 60. Never had a problem, but I run premium ammo through it and clean it after I shoot it. Never jams. My wife has a 10/22. Always jams. (Sore subject with her ;-))

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've had mine for many years. Clean it after every range session. Very accurate. Shoots everything well, including CCI Subsonics and Aguila sub sonics. I bought my son a Winchester 190 that was so dirty it took 4 hours to clean. Paid $190.00 for it and a Topper deluxe 20ga. The 190 is a PITA to reassemble.

10. bwalka

bwalka New Member

One of mine loves the remmington thunderbolts and the other hates them. The one that hates them I shot some through it and I had to take it completely apart and get the one that mushroomed in the action out. And then they broke the recoil spring. but it's fixed now. By chance does anybody have a tactical 22

11. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I love my M60. Drilled a fox squirrel at 60 yards about a hour ago. :)

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I like my Model 60SB - but I have other .22 rifles I like more.

13. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

The one I have is the house brand Western Auto. Still shoots good and has harvested a lot of tree rats for me over the years.

14. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I found a sweet stock TGIF it that looks like a drangov sniper rifle

15. bwalka

bwalka New Member

For it not TGIF

16. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I've got a couple 60-series, including a Glenfield 99-G,
    and a few of its box-mag bretheren...the 795, 989-M2, etc...

I love older Marlins, especially pre-2000...I'm still watching the new ones carefully....
    quality kinda went sideways in 2005-2010, then the new 2011 MM-serial batches from Ilion had some initial QC issues.
    But the stuff that's rolled off the line in the last two months is at least better than the 2005-2010 & the stuff they made in 2011.
    New manufacturing lines take time to get to a proper level of competence...this year's model 60's & 795's should be much better.
    Just pay CLOSE attention to the MFR'ing Dates...

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i really like mine, it's a pre 1982 model 60 i believe, and it shoots great with everything i have put through it so far. very accurate and reliable. picked up at a gunshop for $75 and it functioned perfectly, but looked like crap. i took it apart, refinished the stock and metal, removed the open sights, bought a set of grooved receiver rings, mounted a 3-9x40 scope i had from another rifle. i have less than a $100 in the rifle, and looks bunches better. there are some good deals out there on these rifles, as they made millions of them, and still make them.

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

For me it's both. I love the accuracy but hate the reliability(ymmv). When I take it shooting I also take a brass dowel to drop down the barrel if a shell gets stuck. I'm not hating, just spoiled by my 10/22.

19. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I want a 10/22 anybody know what a good used ruger 10/22 is

20. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

Love----good shooters