Marlin Model 60 .22 LR help

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by z_woodcock, Apr 4, 2010.

1. z_woodcock

z_woodcock New Member

I was recently gifted a Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle from my grandfather. This thing is old, but shoots well. The only problem I'm having is that, under certain conditions, the rifle jams. The rifle has a tubular magazine, and it fires fine for the first 5 or so rounds. However, once I get down to around 10 rounds almost every shot the gun jams. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the spring in the tubular magazine, as I've been told, or a more serious issue. I just thought I'd get a second opinion. Thanks all!

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you only put about 6 rounds in the tube does it do it right away? If so the spring is a good assumption. If not, you will need to look elsewhere.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The 1st thing I'd recommend is a good cleaning & oiling. After a good cleaning try it. Let us know if it's still malfunctioning. Then we can go from there.

4. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I have a marlin model 60 as well same issue, but after a deep cleaning 3 rounds and it jams. I have tried different ammo had it cleaned by a local gunsmith(I thought I was missing something). Still jamming!!!

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It's hard to diagnose problems without seeing exactly what they're doing-at least for me. It could be 1 of several things from a weak spring (magazine or lifter) to a worn or broken part. I'm cursed in that I have to actually see what it's doing before I can make a determination of exactly what is wrong. Try just loading 2-4 rounds in the mag and see what it does like the other poster said. If it's a inner mag tube spring that's an easy fix.

6. KMO

KMO New Member

I inherited a Marlin 60 knock-off model a few years ago. The rifle had barely been fired, if at all. I lubricated it and when I took it out for the first time, it jammed & jammed. A local gunsmith advised me to give the action a good soak for a few days in mineral spirits. He thought that some of the old oil had probably hardened up & gotten sticky, so just putting fresh oil on top of the old wasn't working. I think he was right...it was an easy fix. A good mineral spirits bath & some brushing with a strong-bristle brush, followed by another oiling, and that rifle worked perfectly...didn't require any parts to be replaced at all.

7. z_woodcock

z_woodcock New Member

To Rick and Stalking Bear:

I cleaned and oiled the gun both before and after each firing. I still get the jam. But it only happens when I have between 5 and 12 rounds in the magazine, which leads me to believe it is a spring issue. That would really make me happy, because that's apparently very cheap and simple to fix.

To KMO:

Yeah, i thiught about that too. Only thing is, it's not a consistant jamming problem. Like I said before, it's only when I have between 5 and 12 rounds in the magazine that it jams up, and even then SOME of the rounds don't jam. I figured something like what you described would lead to it jamming on every shot.

8. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

My model 60 is finiky, as are most, you should try some different ammo's and see if one brand or load works better. mine loves federal champion target, it's not expensive either, that helps. I tried some brands( cant remember which) that would jam 3 or 4 times in one magazine! Mine is also old, from the mid
    60's.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It sounds like a mag tube issue, probably the spring. It may be gummed up. I would clean the mag tube inside and out, VERY WELL. If old oil has gotten gummed up inside the tube, it will hinder proper function. If that does not solve the issue get a new mag spring.

The VAST majority of the problems in .22 rimfires is directly related to fouling. Thorough cleaning solves most woes.

10. doggone06

doggone06 New Member

Is there a dent in the tube itself? If the plunger hangs up in the same spot maybe there is a dent or a bend in the tube. When it jams what happens, does the spent round eject and the bolt closes with no round in the chamber?
    If that is the case can you recharge the bolt and fire? The 4 Marlin 60's I have never have had that problem....

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Ok, JAM is a relative term, you need to be more specific...like...
    Is the bullet not entering the chamber?? That's called an Fail To Chamber.
    If the case not ejecting and sticking out the action after firing? That's called an FTE-j (Fail To Eject)/Stovepipe Jam (looks like a stovepipe).
    Then there is FTE-x (Fail To Extract)...which means the extractors aren't grabbing the casing and pulling it out of the chamber properly, only the recoil of firing brings it out.

First, are you using Remington Ammo?? Often half the problem...

Second, are you using HIGH VELOCITY ammo??
    Standard & Super Colibre won't cycle the action.

Third, the ejector wire should be poined at a 45-degree angle towards the center of the feed throat...like so.
    Marlin FTE repair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how the spring is sitting?? That's where ya want it :)

Fourth, clean the action after EVERY shooting session!
    Zero gunk makes a happy rifle :D

Fifth, Double-check the two divots on each side of the barrel inside the action.
    Make sure (with a dental pick) that they are completely free of all gunk.

Let us know how it goes!!

12. 4stfire

4stfire New Member

Hey everyone i'm new to this site, My grandma moved out of her farm house and in doing so i inherited all the family guns. Lucky guy am i right? lol well any way one is a marlin .22 Long Rifle Only, I takes a magazine however i do not have a magazine and have been trying to find out what model the gun is with out much luck. all the barrel says is 22 LONG RIFLE ONLY- Smokeless Greased. then the marlin firearms corroration New haven. conn

Its a older gun, with a slide thumb safety on the end of the barrel behind the action.
    I've taken it to a local gun shop and found out nothing. I know it's not worth anything but it's a family gun and would like to get it in shooting order

I also don't have a camera besides my phone so i can't take a picture but if you think u know and would like one i can text one to you, thanks for the help

13. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Marlin 60

I agree with Stalkingbear .The two 60's ihave are not finicky,they digest everything including Remington subsonics. I rarely shoot anything over standard velocity because of the nylon buffer getting beat up! Check the tube for dents.Call me if you like.978-424-7024.:) Cliff